Meaning of ZooTV dvd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LemonMacPhisto said:

Bono is the Holy Grail.

U2 isn't a real band. Midgets behind the stage have written and performed all those songs over the years. U2 is just a construction of Rolling Stone and Hot Press working together. The millions of people who have gone to concerts over the years are all in on it.

nathan1977 said:

U2 isn't a real band. Midgets behind the stage have written and performed all those songs over the years. U2 is just a construction of Rolling Stone and Hot Press working together. The millions of people who have gone to concerts over the years are all in on it.

I'm sorry, the answer is Moops.

051217davincisilaswidestandard.jpg

Opus Dei!

U2girl said:
I'm sure when U2 will experiment again - or not - they will just say so and not throw hints with compilations and DVDs.

i think that "POP" gets better with age , and its hardly a failure,

people seem to forget that "POP" sold 7 million copies.

schnumi said:
POP a failure?

Maybe in terms of sales (especially in america) but musically its a very strong album.

The POPmart tour ending it perfectly, maybe their best tour ever.

:up:
Popmart was an awesome record.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
Now obviously, if we're looking for clues as to which direction the band will go in next, we need only look at Bono's new haircut. Edge has also been seen recently wearing a cowboy hat....

YES.

that's all.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
They're releasing ZOO TV in order for the chosen one to figure out the clues hidden within the performance that will show the way to a buried cryptex which holds the original lyrics to the October album, which will be rerecorded once the chosen one finds it.

That's the only logical explanation I have read.

Now re-release Red Rocks, and bring out DVDs from every tour!!

They're releasing ZooTV becasue the band was getting tired of fans asking when ZooTV was going to be released on DVD.:wink:

Whether or not there is any hidden purpose behind releasing the Zoo TV DVD at this point, I think the band is clearly in AB worship mode. I think that they are going to move back to creating an album as a whole rather than a collection of songs which aren't necessarily cohesive (HTDAAB). So even if its not overly-experimental, it will be more theme-based sonically and thematically I believe. Bono has hinted at this. I'll put up a couple postings I made in the Mercy thread...

This may not be completely relevant, but hopefully it will shed some light on the band's intentions for the next album...and how Bono is currently thinking of AB.

[Somewhere early in this thread someone pointed out that whether Mercy is or is not on the album is not of utmost importance (whether or not you love the song). What's important is that the band craft an album as a whole. A cohesive work of art. Bono was quoted in Rollingstone a while back (when his face was plastered on the cover and when he "reviewed" all their albums) as saying something to the effect: "the HTDAAB songs are some of the best we've ever written...but as a whole they don't come together to make a great album, and it f-ing pisses me off". I'm too lazy to go look up the exact quote, but that was more or less it. So the good thing is, Bono realizes that they were overconcerned with individual songs on Bomb. Which I ultimately agree with. I think that a lot of the people who trash Bomb would enjoy many of the songs much more if they were a part of a cohesive whole. Singles are great, but albums can change lives. But they need to have that "magic" that ties it together and makes you want to listen to it straight through again as soon as it's done. AB has this magic, HTDAAB doesn't. U2 knows this. It will be rectified and I have great hopes for the next album. If you want confidence that Bono knows very well the complaints that most of you have about the last 2 albums, please read the Rollingstone interview. It will give hope to the biggest cynics.

Ok, I found the real quotes. First on HTDAAB: "It's the best collection of songs we've put together--there's no weak songs. But as an album, the whole isn't greater than the sum of its parts, and it fucking annoys me". Now, I know many people will take issue with his claim that there are "no weak songs", but at least he realizes there's something missing. This is further fleshed out with: "We could've made a dramatic guitar-driven album. But we couldn't get to the magic. It was strange: We had the craft, but we hadn't the magic." Contrast this with what he says about AB: "It's a great album. Like all great albums, it's almost impossible to figure out how you could've made it. It is way beyond the sum of its parts". And finally I leave you with this regarding ATYCLB and HTDAAB: "They're full of better songs than AB and JT, but they're not sonically as sophisticated". Now, even though I like where Bono's head's at in this interview for the most part, I think he is somewhat mistaken here. Basically, he thinks his lyrics are getting better, and that the 80s are full of "unfinished lyrics". Well, no. There are many more cringe-worthy lines now. But honestly, if he thinks that and if that continues, that is not the most important thing. Because Bono realizes that sonically AB and JT are way ahead. With a little extrapolating, we can see that he wants this back for the band. We will see a more sonically cohesive and advanced album next. Or at least Bono's thinking that way. And you know that the Edge will be thinking that way. So if we're back into a 45-50 minutes sonic experience, I don't care as much if Bono sings about kissing newborns. To me, that is of secondary importance. Bringing this back to Mercy, I think that the song is one that would better fit into a larger whole. It could be one song on a 50 minute masterpiece. If it was on HTDAAB, it would not have accomplished much--just another (if extraodinary) great song in a different vein from the others. I don't think U2 will have need for it on the next album personally. I just like how Bono seems to be thinking in albums (at least as of Nov 05) and not as much in songs maybe. Cheers.]

Back
Top Bottom