May 30 2001 - Detroit - Bono - Shame on you!!!!!! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2002, 12:26 PM   #21
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by wertsie
Er...Yeah, I thought Bono WAS saying, "Detroit AND Ohio"...
I don't think he was...I think he screwed up.

We should have a poll!

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 08-09-2002, 01:21 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I was just listening to the boot of this show and made a comment about it in my opinion. That's all.

Gee *Wolverine*, you seemed to have replied to this thread you deem stupid, and "what a bomb!" is there something you would like to say to me?

Old 08-09-2002, 05:06 PM   #23
The Fly

Gee *Wolverine*, you seemed to have replied to this thread you deem stupid, and "what a bomb!" is there something you would like to say to me? [/B][/QUOTE]

I only looked at the thread because I was at the show. LOL, you are right though, I feel dirty for replying! Wait a minute, I'am doing it again!

logging off to go take a shower
Old 08-09-2002, 05:15 PM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick

We should have a poll!
I'm with you, BC. He definitely screwed up!
Old 08-09-2002, 06:33 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Mirrorball Girl

I'm with you, BC. He definitely screwed up!
So he thought Detroit was in Ohio...Or he was saying "Detroit in Ohio" but meant to say "and"? I dunno...but I'll have to listen again!
Old 08-09-2002, 07:28 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Eh...

So he sang a part of an Eminem song...I don't mind that. I actually don't mind Eminem's music. I agree, "Stan" is an excellent song, to whoever said that.

Yeah, some of his music may offend some people-so they don't have to listen to it. I personally feel that practically everything I've heard by Eminem is nothing more than satire in the first place, so...I don't take it all that seriously.

The concert was in Detroit, Eminem's from there, so...*shrugs*. It's the band's show, they'll sing what they want to sing.

Angela
Old 08-10-2002, 04:23 PM   #27
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:06 AM
I LOVE M&M'S
Old 08-10-2002, 05:01 PM   #28
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:06 PM
Listen to this man.
Old 08-10-2002, 05:28 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:06 AM
Okay, doesn't anyone get the IRONY, here!!?? To me it seems quite obvious that Bono is using a juxtaposition of ideas in order to make a statement. Think about it: by using a reference to Eminem -- someone who in many ways promotes violence -- in a song against violence ('Bullet The Blue Sky'), Bono is simply making you think a little bit. Has everyone forgotten what ZooTV was all about already??? Sheesh. Shame on YOU!!!
Old 08-11-2002, 03:01 PM   #30
War Child

Local Time: 04:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by pub crawler
Robert Hilburn, the long time L.A. Times rock critic, has an online question and answer column, and this just happened to appear in last week's column:

A reader's question to Hilburn:
I'm aghast at your listing Eminem among rock's MVPs. While I don't deny that he is a quick-witted firestarter, I shudder to think of him sitting at a table and having lunch with Bob Dylan and John Lennon. And while Lennon certainly wrote and recorded "The Ballad of John and Yoko," he never wrote a whole album full of intensely self-referential songs. Yes, "Plastic Ono Band" is the big primal scream, and it's all about "John," but at no point do I feel alienated from the music by Lennon's self-obsession. Eminem seems to (especially of late) regurgitate the things that intellectual music and culture critics have said about him. And while it's true that we are all the stars of our own shows, how can you find "The Eminem Show" relevant when his one and only topic seems to be, explicitly, himself and the reaction to his last album and tour? He's dating himself with a vengeance! I know we're all hungry to find a "modern Dylan," and maybe we think that is the person who is out there doing the most shocking stuff?

RH: I understand the debate over Eminem, and I'm not sure anyone is fit to sit with Dylan at a dinner table as a creative equal, but I think John Lennon would have enough flexibility and intellectual curiosity to enjoy meeting Eminem. The problem is that some of Eminem's music is so needlessly crude. But some of it is brilliant and revealing. Start with "Stan" on his last album and listen to the pain in "Cleaning Out My Closet" on the new album. My daughter, who has children of her own, thinks "Closet"--a song about a young man's rage about the lack of love he received from his mother--was so moving that she cried. I actually think Lennon and Eminem would connect on some level--the same way I think Bono could connect with both of them.
Thanks for the Hillburn reference. I was just rereading sections of Bill Flanagan's "Until the End of the World" and he mentions that Hillburn is one critic that Bono pays attention to. I think he says that Hillburn has remained as part of Bono's conscience over the years.
Old 08-13-2002, 12:27 AM   #31
Babyface

Quote:
Originally posted by barlowdog

Thanks for the Hillburn reference. I was just rereading sections of Bill Flanagan's "Until the End of the World" and he mentions that Hillburn is one critic that Bono pays attention to. I think he says that Hillburn has remained as part of Bono's conscience over the years.
about eminem singing about himself in every song: not only rap but other "black music" artists have always sang about themselves, their situation in their songs. like the old blues musicians, they refer to themselves by name in their songs. and how rap musicians send messages to each other through their songs. its nothing new and not really a bad thing. songs can be about anything.
abt bono: would you have liked it if he sang some motown instead?
Old 10-13-2002, 06:05 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
Local Time: 05:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick

We should have a poll!
probably did screw up....we over here in Europe (or at least me and the people I know )don't know as much as you guys about states and the cities therein ... I guess bono maybe knew better years ago when they used to travel overland instead of flying in and flying out.....either that or he just had a blank brain moment!

Is Detroit in Michigan??

Lu
(who has no clue!!! I know Cleveland is in Ohio..... !)
Old 10-13-2002, 06:29 PM   #33
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by bammo2

probably did screw up....we over here in Europe (or at least me and the people I know )don't know as much as you guys about states and the cities therein ... I guess bono maybe knew better years ago when they used to travel overland instead of flying in and flying out.....either that or he just had a blank brain moment!

Is Detroit in Michigan??

Lu
(who has no clue!!! I know Cleveland is in Ohio..... !)
Yes, Detroit is in Michigan, although the concert wasn't actually in Detroit (it was in Auburn Hills)..... But I think about any city within an hour of Detroit is considered within the "Greater Detroit Area", we always know what they mean and go along with them.

I must have been in outer space that night cuz I don't remember (or maybe just couldn't make out) the Detroit/Ohio or the Eminem thing!
Old 10-13-2002, 08:06 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Whoa! This is kind of an old thread!

Anyway...I've been listening to my 5/30 boot a lot lately and the more I do, it definitely sounds like he's saying, "Detroit, Ohio"!
Old 10-13-2002, 10:40 PM   #35
The Fly

Hey this reminds me of those Southwest Airline commercials ("wanna get away") where somebody always 's up and then they want to "get away" : there is one that has these rappers singing onstage to a spirited crowd, when the singer/rapper goes "thank you, Detroit!" and it literally silences the whole venue. As everything comes to a dead halt, the other guy onstage whispers to the main rapper and tells him that "detroit was last night...'

*you are now free to move about the country

These commercials have been around for some time now, maybe Bono was just making fun of that commercial and m&m too.

cheers