LP 13: See you next Tuesday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It absolutely would equal a pulled plug.

I'll state it another way: U2 will never carry on as U2 without Larry Mullen Jr.

Book it.

Sent from my ass crack

Maybe for a few years, until one of them starts itching to do something again, or just for money in general. Ain't no way they sit on their asses when they could rake in money with the U2 name. With or Without Mulling Jar. But, I'm not trying to start that debate again, all I'm saying is, we don't know one way or the other, but to suggest it's 100% the end of the band, is ludicrous.

Wait. Larry's leaving the band to join Android?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yeah, I can't imagine them continuing without all 4 members.

R.E.M. was of a similar mind, and only kept going because Bill Berry was adamant that they did. And that was a fairly abrupt departure due to health issues. Can you see Larry telling the others to find a replacement? The band members will be pushing 60 after this tour and will rightfully acknowledge it's not worth it unless all four are on board.

Don't worry. I think they have a back-up.

post-37737-1278603727.jpg

As the thread in EYKIW might suggest: I highly doubt him leaving would equal a pulled plug.

I think at one time, when they were a real band, that U2 would never dream of going on as U2 if one of them left. But I'm not so sure about that anyone. Even as far back as Zoo TV, in his book Flanagan writes about how the other three were fully prepared to continue on without Adam. I do think the dynamics in the band may have changed in ways that maybe not everyone appreciates, and I think some of us may be thinking about the U2 that was, not the U2 that is. If you asked me this 10 years ago I would have said no way. But when they forced out McG (and IMO that's what essentially happened) I think all bets were off.

IMO, IF Larry were to leave and IF Bono, Edge and Adam still wanted to record as U2, they would. I don't think Larry leaving, alone, would cause the others to quit. Though as I said, I think it's also quite possible that they won't be making any more full "records" at all after this one, Larry or no.

But of course, this is all just supposition on my part. There's only four people in the world (well actually two) who can say any of this definitively.

I think at one time, when they were a real band, that U2 would never dream of going on as U2 if one of them left. But I'm not so sure about that anyone. Even as far back as Zoo TV, in his book Flanagan writes about how the other three were fully prepared to continue on without Adam.

IMO, IF Larry were to leave and IF Bono, Edge and Adam still wanted to record as U2, they would. I don't think Larry leaving, alone, would case the others to quit. Though as I said, I think it's also quite possible that they won't be making any more full "records" at all after this one.

But of course, this is all just supposition on my part. There's only four people in the world (well actually two) who can say any of this definitively.

Basically my logic / reasoning.

Maybe for a few years, until one of them starts itching to do something again, or just for money in general. Ain't no way they sit on their asses when they could rake in money with the U2 name. With or Without Mulling Jar. But, I'm not trying to start that debate again, all I'm saying is, we don't know one way or the other, but to suggest it's 100% the end of the band, is ludicrous.

Naw.

Sent from my ass crack

Having said that, I wish they wound consider being a studio album-only band like The Beatles if touring proves too exhausting. At least for another album or two.

Here's the reality:

Things are way different than they were almost 20 years ago when they would have potentially left Adam behind and forged ahead - because back then they were still very much in their prime and would have to see that loss as necessary to continuing the band's trajectory.

There is no longer that need in the band, and if you can't hear that in the music even, we're listening to different bands. If Larry was to leave, it wouldn't be because he wanted out, it'd be because he strongly felt that was all they had left. And Bono would probably be the first to agree with him, with Adam close behind, and Edge well he'll never pack it in entirely. But it would absolutely be a band decision, and that would be it.

They've alluded to as much publicly, and that's the word privately also.

The band does not continue without Larry. No way no how.

Now..whether or not The Edge and/or Bono need to find musical release and so do something that possibly even sounds similar to what they've been used to putting out as U2, well sure, they might, but they can quite easily do so banking on their musical currency if you will as "Bono" and "The Edge". As they already have been doing, in fact.

Sent from my ass crack

Here's the reality:

Things are way different than they were almost 20 years ago when they would have potentially left Adam behind and forged ahead - because back then they were still very much in their prime and would have to see that loss as necessary to continuing the band's trajectory.

There is no longer that need in the band, and if you can't hear that in the music even, we're listening to different bands. If Larry was to leave, it wouldn't be because he wanted out, it'd be because he strongly felt that was all they had left. And Bono would probably be the first to agree with him, with Adam close behind, and Edge well he'll never pack it in entirely. But it would absolutely be a band decision, and that would be it.

They've alluded to as much publicly, and that's the word privately also.

The band does not continue without Larry. No way no how.

Sent from my ass crack

It's so cute, the way you talk like you know them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom