JT vs. AB - Age Correlation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a very old, very weathered 22 years...and Achtung Baby speaks to me a lot more. It's not only my favorite U2 album--it is, quite simply, the greatest album in the history of recorded music.

If you shout... said:
I'm a very old, very weathered 22 years...and Achtung Baby speaks to me a lot more. It's not only my favorite U2 album--it is, quite simply, (in my opinion) the greatest album in the history of recorded music, and being 22 years old, I ought to know !

:)

I also want to add that while AB is a better whole album since there are really no songs on it I don't like as opposed to JT with 2 or 3 I don't like (Mothers, Exit and BTBS which I used to like but have come to not like) of the songs on JT I do like, I like them more than the songs I like on AB and that makes the difference. Plus a very strong attachment to the time and the era and the nostalgia (last year of high school) and the look :love: So this is something that does not come into it for someone who wasn't around or doesn't remember those days so I guess that is partly what the original poster meant by the age thing.

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
I also want to add that while AB is a better whole album since there are really no songs on it I don't like as opposed to JT with 2 or 3 I don't like (Mothers, Exit and BTBS which I used to like but have come to not like) of the songs on JT I do like, I like them more than the songs I like on AB and that makes the difference. Plus a very strong attachment to the time and the era and the nostalgia (last year of high school) and the look :love: So this is something that does not come into it for someone who wasn't around or doesn't remember those days so I guess that is partly what the original poster meant by the age thing.

Exactly. It was so ground breaking at the time, you really had to be there as it were.

Much the same way I don't "get" what all the fuss about much of the Beatles stuff is about, (they were already old hat by the time my musical tastes developed past Slade and T-Rex !)

indra said:
I'm 40. Love JT. Could never stand AB.

LOL! I'm almost the opposite. Loved JT in '87/'88, but grew tired of the "serious" side of U2. Wanted some "fun" rock songs.

Hence, my answer is 40 and I prefer AB. Don't hate JT, but it's amongst the least favorite of my U2 albums (even though I probably know that album the best).

If you shout... said:
It's not only my favorite U2 album--it is, quite simply, the greatest album in the history of recorded music.

My opinion too. AB is the best record ever by any band.

AB - 18. However, JT is fantastic as well... To me, it's almost like comparing apples to oranges. :-/ I love both of the albums for different reasons.

JT by a country mile, and I'm 17. I don't even think AB's a masterpiece.

I'm 17, and I think AB rocks the socks off JT...

Well not really, I just like saying that. :wink: They're both great, but I do like AB just a little more.

26 - JT over AB but only because JT is the first album that ever mattered to me, it is in my view the greatest album ever recorded.

AB is right up there though, but JT trumps it barely.

Hey, I'm an aberration...and I like it!

42 - AB by far...and I have 3 or 4 albums in my ranking between that and JT (and none of them are UF, Boy, October or R&H). Took to AB immediately. And I became a fan in '83, way before JT came out. doctorwho expressed similar sentiments to mine.

I think generally people will like the album that got them into U2, and that usually corresponds to the age they were at the time of the album's era. Thus younger fans will usually say AB and older fans will say JT. Not always, but generally.

Back
Top Bottom