Is U2 making music for "white" people only?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why is it that "white" and "black" seems to pertain only to Americans? There are "white" and "black" people in many places outside the U.S.

What about Seal, he's black, but also from England, (I think), like someone else pointed out, it's not the skin color, but rather where you live that might affect how and what kind of music you listen to.

I'm Mexican-American, born and raised in America, but I grew up in a primarily "white" neighborhood, I listen to rock more than any other genre of music.

Skin color had nothing to do with my musical preferences, it was more where I grew up, that did.

Before I got into U2, I was mostly into grunge and pop. (yes I know, odd bedfellows).

I know a 'black' guy from Ireland, his favorite band is Vertical Horizon, likes U2 here and there (not quite the fan like I am), Matchbox 20, mostly modern rock.

Wasn't Thin Lizzy's lead singer was black? Didn't Big Country have a black bass player. Think Simple Minds had a black bassist too.

What about Living Colour?

Eminem, Vanilla Ice, (he wasn't doing rock anyway).

Last edited:
shaun vox said:
it does not matter if your black or white( michael jackson) black or white!

Ha ha ha yea it doesn't matter to MJ 'cause he's been both!

The day Vertigo went on sale I rushed to the Barnes & Noble and asked the salesperson where the new U2 CD was shelved. He said, "Is it for you?" I said, "of course!" He said, "You like U2?" I said, "No, I love U2." He then actually had to nerve to say, "You do know it's rock music, right?" Big sigh!

R8drgurl said:

Ha ha ha yea it doesn't matter to MJ 'cause he's been both!

The day Vertigo went on sale I rushed to the Barnes & Noble and asked the salesperson where the new U2 CD was shelved. He said, "Is it for you?" I said, "of course!" He said, "You like U2?" I said, "No, I love U2." He then actually had to nerve to say, "You do know it's rock music, right?" Big sigh!

Should've said, what, you mean it's not an audio commentary on spyplanes.

beli said:

Thats because U2 make pop music. :wink:

lol. Sorry. We have a different definition of rock music over here and U2 are not rock.

:huh:

Since when were U2 NOT rock?

beli said:

I just saw U2Kittens thread about this very subject, perhaps we should meet over there.

(Axver, Im from Perth. AC/DC is considered a pop group over here. :wink: )

I'm from New Zealand. U2 are the quintessential and ultimate rock band.

Zootlesque said:
Hey Shaun, you forgot to mention!!! Slash is black, right? And he rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rockon: :wink:

yes he is.

velvet revolver have a new music video out for "dirty little things"

its half animated yes animated slash , scott and the band>

it has a kick arss guitar solo and that part is animated and the camera just rolls up on the guitar freet board
:drool: you have to watch it ill post a link in Just the Bang and the Clatter forum.

vh1 is playing it too!
also vr are planning to release a new album this christmis :drool:

jick said:

While U2 may write about universal themes, their version of English in their songwriting is just plain and simply different from the "ain't" English I make reference to (which by the way is also spoken by whites and browns in my obserevations but not as much as blacks).

J

As a linguist, I know for a fact that this is complete and utter bullshit. If you want to argue with this entry in the Oxford English Dictionary, feel free:

Etymology
From the earlier form an't, an abbreviation of are not. The supposition that the original meaning of ain't was am not is a myth. Historically, it was actually present in many dialects of the English language except that of southeast England that became the official standard.

Last edited:
* MoFo * said:
U2 are a rock and roll band - they aint colour-orientated

I so agree! I was a little "taken back" that this question is even asked. And......they're music isn't geared towards any nationality, race, religion, age, gender.......etc either (just for the record) I'm thinking that if that questions is asked by someone, then they really haven't listened to U2's music or anything they've "said" along the way during their 25 years......

sallycinnamon78 said:

As a linguist, I know for a fact that this is complete and utter bullshit. If you want to argue with this entry in the Oxford English Dictionary, feel free:

Etymology
From the earlier form an't, an abbreviation of are not. The supposition that the original meaning of ain't was am not is a myth. Historically, it was actually present in many dialects of the English language except that of southeast England that became the official standard.

This confirms my speculation that "ain't" is another correct form of Engish and is not for the "uneducated" as someone here stressed. It is just my observation based on experience (not statistics) that blacks predominantly use ain't.

Cheers,

J

Many rock and pop songs share the same types of melody, but are distinguished by their textures. If music is hard and visceral, it's rock. If it's happy and slick, it's pop. This is a caricature, but for quite some time rock music has been held up to a standard of 'hardness.' If it isn't hard enough, it isn't rock enough.

But then it helps to avoid the distinction at all. If one views popular music as a whole, a type of music that has been morphing and growing since it was born in the 1950s (when rock had an n' roll and was not ashamed of holding big pop melodies.) Music should be evaluated on its longevity and emotional impact, not on its position on the rock-o-meter. What makes Nina Simone or Marvin Gaye less worthy than the Byrds or the Kinks?

Music does and should try to capture all the emotions experienced in life. Because of our personalities, there are some emotions that we do not want to purposely subject ourselves to. For example, Celine Dion may achieve great emotional impact, but I am not particulary willing to subject myself to overbearing sentimentality.

But it’s important to note that our music taste could be just as much influenced by the culture and marketing surrounding a genre as the affect that the music (robbed of its cultural context) has on us. Which could be part of the reason why some of us like U2, and why others do not. Good music is good music, but good music is sometimes put in a context we find unappealing.

The context that U2 come from, European post-punk merging into stadium rockers, ambient artistes; a group that tried to take the restlessness of Bowie add it to the biggness of the Beatles, the conscience of the Clash and the populism of Bruce Springsteen , this context will probably appeal primarily to white people. The music itself is probably much more universal.

Tintin said:
Many rock and pop songs share the same types of melody, but are distinguished by their textures. If music is hard and visceral, it's rock. If it's happy and slick, it's pop. This is a caricature, but for quite some time rock music has been held up to a standard of 'hardness.' If it isn't hard enough, it isn't rock enough.

But then it helps to avoid the distinction at all. If one views popular music as a whole, a type of music that has been morphing and growing since it was born in the 1950s (when rock had an n' roll and was not ashamed of holding big pop melodies.) Music should be evaluated on its longevity and emotional impact, not on its position on the rock-o-meter. What makes Nina Simone or Marvin Gaye less worthy than the Byrds or the Kinks?

Music does and should try to capture all the emotions experienced in life. Because of our personalities, there are some emotions that we do not want to purposely subject ourselves to. For example, Celine Dion may achieve great emotional impact, but I am not particulary willing to subject myself to overbearing sentimentality.

But it’s important to note that our music taste could be just as much influenced by the culture and marketing surrounding a genre as the affect that the music (robbed of its cultural context) has on us. Which could be part of the reason why some of us like U2, and why others do not. Good music is good music, but good music is sometimes put in a context we find unappealing.

The context that U2 come from, European post-punk merging into stadium rockers, ambient artistes; a group that tried to take the restlessness of Bowie add it to the biggness of the Beatles, the conscience of the Clash and the populism of Bruce Springsteen , this context will probably appeal primarily to white people. The music itself is probably much more universal.

Very good post! :up:

By the way, I like your screenname. Reminds me of the comic book. :)

I feel you pain. Well I'm African American/black (take your pick- both are fine by me) and I'd like to add my 10 cents to this.

First of all, while I do find Jick's comments offensive, there is a remote chance that he really is ignorant of the sometimes intense state of race relations in the United States. I'm friends with a Filipino at work and he did tell me that he wasn't aware of how much racism there existed in the US until he moved here. It truly shocked and intimidated him. Now this was 20 years ago mind you. Also, I'm not aware of how black people are generally portrayed or shown in the Philipines. If you only get part of the picture then that is what you know. Look at how blacks were portrayed for years in American cinema and television. Many moons ago when I was in high school, I was unaware of the troubles in Northern Ireland. In fact it was probably U2 that clued me in to the situation. However, I do not buy the innocence about the n-word. You don't need a whole lot of exposure to American culture (I bet you studied some US history in school Jick) to know that that word is, as someone has already pointed out, loaded. There's nothing "weird" about it, if you know your American history. Let's get real here. For many black people that word, especially when used by a non-black person means inhumanity,anger, hate, injustice, hurt, misery, humiliation, intimidation, inequity, exclusion and even death. I know there are alot black people who don't like to hear it coming out of the mouths of other blacks either, whether in song or as a casual greeting.

As for the use of the word "ain't", I've heard it used by people of different economic classes, races and cultures (including my Filipino friend). I dare say even our illustrious President has used it.

And I believe I'm correct in saying that you hear "ain't" in many a country & western song. So maybe if U2 starts using it, they'll appeal to "good ol' boys" as well as black people and be invited to perform at the Grand Old Opry as well as the Essence Music Festival. Next thing you know, they'll win a CMA and a Source award to put next to their Grammys. Please! I can point to many a jazz, Motown, R&B or gospel song that appeals to a majority of black people where yes, oh my God, "proper English" is used.

Yes stereotypes do exist, but what matters is what you do with them. You can either endorse them or debunk them. Sometimes you contribute to the problem by having a laissez-faire, "that's just the way it is" attitude. And then nothing changes and we are all done a disservice.

I know the Adam Clayton comment was a joke, but often there is grain of belief in jokes. Just to set the record straight, not all black men are as well endowed as Mr. Clayton. Trust me. I know. Boy do I know.

Finally, to answer the original question of this thread. No, Bono and U2 do not consciously or unconsciously write songs for white people. They write songs. Plain and simple. The music style they use does seem to appeal more to white people in the United States. I've been to several shows on different tours and there were always way more white people than people of any color. But that's ok. I always look back with a smile when I think about my best friend in high school who introduced me to U2. She was white and she didn't think for 1 second that I wouldn't like U2 because I am black. She just wanted to share something great with me. Even though we lost touch over the years, I will forever be grateful to her for that. So in closing I would just like to say, Thank you Pattie, wherever you are.

Buttercup67 said:

I feel you pain. Well I'm African American/black (take your pick- both are fine by me) and I'd like to add my 10 cents to this.

First of all, while I do find Jick's comments offensive, there is a remote chance that he really is ignorant of the sometimes intense state of race relations in the United States. I'm friends with a Filipino at work and he did tell me that he wasn't aware of how much racism there existed in the US until he moved here. It truly shocked and intimidated him. Now this was 20 years ago mind you. Also, I'm not aware of how black people are generally portrayed or shown in the Philipines. If you only get part of the picture then that is what you know. Look at how blacks were portrayed for years in American cinema and television. Many moons ago when I was in high school, I was unaware of the troubles in Northern Ireland. In fact it was probably U2 that clued me in to the situation. However, I do not buy the innocence about the n-word. You don't need a whole lot of exposure to American culture (I bet you studied some US history in school Jick) to know that that word is, as someone has already pointed out, loaded. There's nothing "weird" about it, if you know your American history. Let's get real here. For many black people that word, especially when used by a non-black person means inhumanity,anger, hate, injustice, hurt, misery, humiliation, intimidation, inequity, exclusion and even death. I know there are alot black people who don't like to hear it coming out of the mouths of other blacks either, whether in song or as a casual greeting.

As for the use of the word "ain't", I've heard it used by people of different economic classes, races and cultures (including my Filipino friend). I dare say even our illustrious President has used it.

And I believe I'm correct in saying that you hear "ain't" in many a country & western song. So maybe if U2 starts using it, they'll appeal to "good ol' boys" as well as black people and be invited to perform at the Grand Old Opry as well as the Essence Music Festival. Next thing you know, they'll win a CMA and a Source award to put next to their Grammys. Please! I can point to many a jazz, Motown, R&B or gospel song that appeals to a majority of black people where yes, oh my God, "proper English" is used.

Yes stereotypes do exist, but what matters is what you do with them. You can either endorse them or debunk them. Sometimes you contribute to the problem by having a laissez-faire, "that's just the way it is" attitude. And then nothing changes and we are all done a disservice.

I know the Adam Clayton comment was a joke, but often there is grain of belief in jokes. Just to set the record straight, not all black men are as well endowed as Mr. Clayton. Trust me. I know. Boy do I know.

Finally, to answer the original question of this thread. No, Bono and U2 do not consciously or unconsciously write songs for white people. They write songs. Plain and simple. The music style they use does seem to appeal more to white people in the United States. I've been to several shows on different tours and there were always way more white people than people of any color. But that's ok. I always look back with a smile when I think about my best friend in high school who introduced me to U2. She was white and she didn't think for 1 second that I wouldn't like U2 because I am black. She just wanted to share something great with me. Even though we lost touch over the years, I will forever be grateful to her for that. So in closing I would just like to say, Thank you Pattie, wherever you are.

:up:

My opinion is that this was an offensive thread to begin with.

U2's music is universal - the themes and wishes in their music for a better and fairer world is shared by people around the globe. :yes:

Being a Rock band, the majority of their audience has traditionally been white, but that has seen a steady change over the years as U2 updated their sound in the 1990's.

U2 is the biggest,most well-known and loved Rock band in the world - they have inspired groups to form and spread their social messages of Peace and social justice in Mexico, Pakistan and many other countries around the world. :up:

Increasingly, U2 (mainly because of Bono's social activism for Africa) have gained the respect and the friendship of many varied Black performers from Hip-Hop, Jazz and traditional R & B music.

I think we should just respect the fact that, for a group of white Rock musicians, U2 have done more and have gone farther than any other white group I can think of to respect other cultures and to do all that they can to include people of other cultures in their audiences. :wink:

What more would we want fron them?

Back
Top Bottom