Is this true - re: U2 benefit w/Santorum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, I get it now - It's not a fundraiser for Santorum. Bono set aside a block of $1,000-a-pop seats at the 10/16 U2 concert in Philadelphia for fundraising purposes. The funds are going to DATA, his AIDS charity. Santorum (shocking though this may seem) has been one of Bono's chief conservative allies in Congress on fighting the spread of AIDS in Africa, and since the 10/16 show is in his home state, he's making an appearance and helping to promote the fundraiser. Santorum himself is getting NONE of the money.

I should know better by now than to trust NewsMax's right-wing fanatical spin.

wow you had me scared for a bit...I really detest that guy

but the fact he's helping with Africa bumps my approval rating of him up a smidge...a really small smidge

I got this from the atu2 mailing list

You may have seen news articles online (like this one --
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/10/10/131502.shtml ) suggesting
that U2 is "teaming up" with U.S. Senator Rick Santorum for a
fund-raising concert on October 16th in Philadelphia. The political
writers are missing out on one important point: There's no "teaming up"
going on. That concert has been scheduled for months as part of the
Vertigo Tour and is not suddenly a political fund raiser.

That said, the senator is, in fact, using the concert as a fund raiser.
It appears as if the senator's people have rented a skybox for the
evening, and are selling space (i.e. - tickets) to watch the concert
with the senator at $1,000 per person. An @U2 reader has sent in a PDF
version of Santorum's invitation, which we've converted to JPG -- use
the link below to see it. We'd love to know if U2 has okayed all this,
especially the use of their image on the fund raising invite

U2Santorum.jpg

Yea, I really can't believe any of the other members of U2 are really happy about being associated with this fundraiser - even if it is just the use of their picture.

Bono really needs to keep his politico associates out of U2 business if he wants to keep peace with some of his bandmates.

I hope it all works out for the best for U2.:hug:

DATA REACTION TO INACCURATE MEDIA STATEMENTS ON U2 SHOWS AS POLITICAL FUNDRAISERS

STATEMENT BY JAMIE DRUMMOND, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF DATA (debt AIDS trade Africa), THE AFRICA ADVOCACY GROUP CO-FOUNDED BY BONO:

"It is not uncommon for politicians, from both parties, to organize events at all kinds of music concerts and other entertainment events. If any political fundraising events take place at a U2 concert, it is without the involvement or knowledge of Data, U2 or Bono. U2 concerts are categorically not fundraisers for any politician - they are rock concerts for U2 fans."

For more information, contact Christopher Lagan, 202-494-5755

U2 protect their public image carefully....watch this space.

I hope this results in a law suit.

Paul McG / Principle Management - this one is for you guys.

Time to take care of business and send a legal missive in the direction of the suck-up merchants, the fumblers in a greasy till trying to hitch a ride on U2's coat tails......

Last edited:
Jamila said:
Yea, I really can't believe any of the other members of U2 are really happy about being associated with this fundraiser - even if it is just the use of their picture.

Bono really needs to keep his politico associates out of U2 business if he wants to keep peace with some of his bandmates.

I hope it all works out for the best for U2.:hug:

I agree Jamila.

this is on Wonkette..

bonorick.jpg

"Two Hearts Bleed As One

There goes the sub-Saharan neighborhood. Bono is teaming up with Rick Santorum. Yes, that Rick Santorum

You can forget about that Nobel now, boyo. And just when we thought quality time with Jesse Helms was a one-off. I mean, why not make it a hat trick at this point? An "I've Got You Under My Skin," mic-swinging duet with Brownback, perchance to dream?'

CapitolBuzz shows how this current partnership might make for some awkward backstage chitchat...

UPDATE: Whoops. The NewsMax story is bogus (and has been for hours now -- my bad!), according to Bono's camp and, erm, The Corner. Anyway, it's not the archconservatism of the senator that spooked the U2 frontman into having a conscience; it's what Santorum really means . So read the rest as an Onion-esque shoulda been. Worked so hard on that heart graphic, too."

here's the Capitol Buzz story..

http://capitolbuzz.blogspot.com/2005/10/santorum-panned-u2-in-his-book-for.html

NewsMax's misleading story that U2's Bono is raising money for Santorum is particularly interesting since in his book, It Takes A Family, Santorum describes Bono as satanic and ties U2 to the liberal view of society that Senator Rick hates so much. It's also noteworthy that Santorum is more than willing to stomach U2 when he's raising money for his campaign. His hypocrisy knows no bounds.

On page 14 of his tome, Santorum writes that liberals define freedom as "without limits (with the obligatory caveat that you can't hurt anyone else directly). But someone always gets hurt when masses of indiviudals do what is only in their self-interest. That is the great lie of liberal freedom, or as I like to say, 'No-Fault Freedom' (all of the choice, none of the responsiblity). When I listen to the rock group U2's latest hit 'Vertigo,' which criticixes the dizzying culture surrounding us, a chill goes through me when I hear Bono sing, in a satanic voice, 'All of this, all of this can be yours -- just give me what I want and no one gets hurt.'

Santorum continues: "No one gets hurt? Believers in No-Fault Freedom turn a blind eye to the damage such a notion of freedom causes not to this or that individual but to society as a whole."

On pages 264 and 265, Santorum writes: "The world liberals see is one in which each of us is an island entire unto ourselves, supported by the village elders, doing what pleases us, as the U2 song says, 'as long as nobody gets hurt.' Except that everybody gets hurt."

um, OK..

I'm no fan of Santorum, to put it mildly and I'm glad that U2 are trying to distance themselves from Political fundrasing (from all sides, even nice mainstream ones.) However I take issue with the article that implies that Santorum called U2 "satanic".

Bono and Santorum have been working together on Africa since before Santorum's book came out. Santorum's Vertigo analogy was not a swipe at U2, he says that the song CRITICIZES the dizzying effects of our current culture, he implies that Bono is mocking that in his "Just give me what I want...." line. It gives him chills because he feels Bono is so spot on in that instance. Santorum is using a U2 song to make his point because he thinks he's got an in with Bono and it will make him get some street cred. Buzz Machine needs to do better reporting.

So, to reiterate....

U2 is not sponsoring a Santorum benefit.

However, Rick Santorum likes U2 (does not think they're satanic) and is holding a fundraiser there.

Rick Santorum seems to like using U2 to his advantage.

Bono and Santorum have been working together on Africa.

Blah.

Back
Top Bottom