Is passangers worth buying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonnytakeawalk

Refugee
I own every U2 album besides passangers. Just wondering if it's worth buying it.
I've already heard Miss Sarajevo and Your blue room and am a big fan of both these. If the other songs on the album are as good as these I'd definately be interested in buying it!
I'm kinda presuming passangers is similar to zooropa, just because 'your blue room' could so easily fit into zooropa, it has that similar chilled out alternative vibe that the songs on zooropa have.

So yay or nay? Is passangers worth it? Is it up to par with the rest of U2's catalogue?

I have Passengers, but not this Passangers you speak of. They finally made a sequel ...? :wink:

No, seriously, Passengers is worth it just for Slug.

Passengers is absolutely fantastic, but you'll need an open mind and some time. Think of it as space influenced jazz via U2.

Up to par with U2's catalog?

Well, I'd say it's not even the same course, maybe not even the same game. Sort of like golf with baseball bats.

Slug is the best track you haven't heard off of it. Hearing it will make you want to buy it, but be warned most of the album is not neccessarily similar. Corpse has some Edge vocals and Elvis Ate America is kooky but cool.

Hell, I even like Universal Colours.

Definitely buy it. Don't expect all the songs to sound like Miss Sarajevo, however, or you could end up majorly disappointed.

I was going to ask this very question. Are the songs with non-english lyrics sung in english though?

Was it released before or after Zooropa?

It was released after Zooropa, around '95 if I recall correctly. Great stuff, Slug, Corpse, Elvis Ate America, and Miss Sarajevo to me are just as good (see:better) than any other U2 tune. People talk about Zooropa being "off the deep end," and in my opinion that would make Passengers "under the pool."

COBL_04 said:
I was going to ask this very question. Are the songs with non-english lyrics sung in english though?

Was it released before or after Zooropa?

Ito Okashi is sung by Holi in Japanese.

The album was released during 1995.

Blue room, Slug and Miss Sarajevo are extraordinary songs.
Bono's voice is so fantastic. :drool:

It's good stuff.

14 tracks of worthwhile experimentation.

It could have been shortened and developed into a full scale U2 album.

But there is some good stuff there: Let's Go Native is one of U2's best tracks from the 90's IMO.

Ito OKashi is rubbish though.

One as to look at the passengers album as a different U2 playing. Because afterall it is an "experimental" arrangment between brian eno and U2 (with a few other people too).
So the whole album is sort of a "music-for-films" type of CD. Films which some do not exist. But the whole complexe arrangment of the musical pieces transmit an idea of a moving image inside your mind. It is quite calm in some songs and quite wild and loud in others, and quite hilarious and funny even in some other songs.
Is it worth buying?
OF COURSE!
It is one CD you will be listening over and over a few months from now :up:

Definitely go for it. I agree with the others who posted that you need an open mind for it, but I think that if you are into the development of the band and their progress through the years, you'll easily be able to appreciate it. In fact, I think that appreciating Passengers helped me originally appreciate Zooropa and Pop--and even AB--much more.

The "Theme" from The Swan is one of the best pieces of music to which the members of U2 have ever been attached.

A great deal of the rest of the album, of course, is nearly as good. If you're a hardcore U2 "purist" or something like that, this is likely not your album. But if you were intrigued by Edge's solo album or you've enjoyed the work of Eno (and the work he did with Bowie), then it will likely do it for you. I really think it's a marvelous album, through and through. It doesn't work very well as an album-album, I suppose...but the songs are consistently remarkable both stylistically and theoretically.

Yes, it is worth buying. The second half kind of sucks, but the first half is pure brillance. :drool:

Slug, Your Blue Room, Beach Sequence, Miss Sarajevo, Corpse, Elvis Ate America, Theme from Lets Go Native.

All great songs. Sure; United Colours + A Different Kind of Blue let it down a little. Still very worthwile buying

Back
Top Bottom