Is Bono is realy singing on Miss Sarajevo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
gabrielvox said:

I feel a trap here :wink:

That's a very good question..

If I were to answer based on what I know, I would have to answer no.

However if I were to base it on what I think I've heard a few times, I would say maybe. There were moments on Vertigo where I thought I heard certain little nuances in the tone of his voice that reminded me of experiments with pitch correction I had done and reminded me of what others have said pitch correction does to your voice. They were very few and far between, those moments, so I don't think he's using it very much, if at all.

To be honest though, pitch correction isn't the 'cure all' it is made out to be. You still have to hit the note for the processor to recognize the note you're trying for, as far as I understand the theory behind it. One thing I do know is that it won't make a bad singer great, that's for sure.

No trap. I was just curious to hear from someone who actually sounds like they know something about the issue. I agree, if he does use it, it's not that much because I've never heard the tell tale signs... Of course I've never used any of the highest end live pitch correction devices, but I've played around with some live pitch correction that a friend's band had in Chicago. I was just curious to play around with it. It would cause jumps and a very mechanical sounding tone most of the time when it was correcting. What's hilarious is I've seen this band use it live, if she hits a really awful note it would "correct" it to this wierd note. She said once when they first got it, they programmed a song in the wrong key so she may have sung it in key, but it corrected it to the one they programmed... she said it was a very Ashlee Simpson moment. :lol:

gabrielvox said:

I can't remember, so don't laugh, but isn't that mainly an Edge vocal anyways? In that case it isn't really all that uncommon, he's had some prerecorded voices backing him up on a few other songs too..

Yeah that's what I was thinking...:huh:

It reminds me of the time someone came in here saying they have video evidence that Bono used backing tracks troughout because they found a video of Miracle Drug and Bono forgot to lip sync to the "Beneath the noise Below the din I hear a voice..." part, which we all know Edge sings, but boy he was convinced he found some awful truth.

Re: Re: Is Bono is realy singing on Miss Sarajevo

Peterrrrr said:

Ok, how many time should we be telling you that he dosnet use a backing track on Miss Sarajevo. Bono was very proud of his voice on Vertigo tour and wanted to show us that, so he sang the opera part. WHY WOULD HE USE A BACKING TRACK THEN? The whole point would be meaningless then. If it was like you are saying, Bono would have resonate like this "Ok im going to impressed the crowd with a backing track as help", does that sound good? NO.
And If you resonate like that Bono must have use a backin track on every tour.

And I told you in your other thread that the "Sing" note and the "l'amoure" are two different things. The "L'amoure" note is sing in a classical opera sound and he use his brighter sound on "Sing"

I love the Bono only version of "Miss Sarajevo". Nothing beats the Maestro, but Bono does a spectacular job.

I think to clarify Peterrrr's words a bit, Bono sings, well, the word "Sing" in "Sometimes..." in his open throat voice. A lot of UF and much of JT was recorded that way. Daniel Lanois loved Bono's full open throat voice, and I concur.

However, the "L'amoure" of "Miss Sarajevo" is sung in more of an operatic voice. At times, Bono even dips into his JT/R&H era "kermit" voice to get those notes. In other words, it's a bit of a falsetto - but a VERY well done falsetto. For most of us, it would sound fake, but Bono mastered the way of doing this operatic falsetto ("kermit voice") to not only hit the note, but also make it sound more powerful. It worked well back in the late 80's and it works well now. :yes:

to be honest I don't get all the fuss - yes, these aren't the easiest songs to sing, but they also aren't the hardest in music or even in rock in specific...so why people find it hard to believe that with some proper vocal coaching and less abuse of himself, Bono could hit the odd B or C on a given night, well that's beyond me...there are other singers who hit those notes on a per song basis, not a per night basis...

these are Bono's songs, and I can't imagine that he writes much differently than anyone else ie in his vocal range or a note or two just beyond it..he had to have hit that note at some point in the creation of the song, so its just a matter of training to get back there....:shrug:

Exactly, it actually saddens me to see there are people who still doubt Bono despite all these years of singing live...

Well, Bono has repeatedly said that for him, as someone who is not a trained singer, many of U2's songs are basically too difficult to sing because of the high notes, so he really has to concentrate very much. And he writes those songs. So I guess he needs the challenge of actually singing them live, though they are hard for him.

last unicorn said:
Well, Bono has repeatedly said that for him, as someone who is not a trained singer, many of U2's songs are basically too difficult to sing ...

Ahem, yes, but I don't think we will solve this question: As I said – there are fans thinking, that Bono uses a lot of technical mic-effects to be enriched in his voice's sound. And there are fans thinking, that this is his usual mic voice, maybe trained a bit better than years ago. That's all and, by the way, not the most important thing in the world ...

Headache in a Suitcase said:
only time i sing is in the car and drunk at kareoke. hardly an expert.

actually, all three at once might qualify you as an expert in something.

color me impressed.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Yeah that's what I was thinking...:huh:

It reminds me of the time someone came in here saying they have video evidence that Bono used backing tracks troughout because they found a video of Miracle Drug and Bono forgot to lip sync to the "Beneath the noise Below the din I hear a voice..." part, which we all know Edge sings, but boy he was convinced he found some awful truth.

That's hilarious!

And there are plenty of background vocal tracks that are pre-recorded - Edge is good, but he's can't produce more than one vocal note at a time like a peruvian throat singer. And the "Hola!" part has some extra help. I totally believe the "And it's you" falsetto part is both live Edge and sequenced.

But Bono is too much all over the place to effectively aid with tapes. All the taped stuff is way more mundane - tamborines here, keyboards there.

On this topic, whoever does the vocal mix for Bono is superb. Even all the way back to early tours, this guy (probably not the same dude as now) can really make a show with the right amount of echo placed at the appropriate times. It's not like they set it and forget it - someone is watching Bono the whole set and making adjustments to accentuate his phrasing, even through ad-libs. Is this Joe O'H. or someone else? It would actually be a cool job to have!

As each new record comes around, do you think that any member of U2 corners Bono and says, "Listen. We hear you hitting those notes on these new songs. Have you thought about singing those notes for a hundred tour dates?" I mean, he does it every single time!

ahittle said:

That's hilarious!

And there are plenty of background vocal tracks that are pre-recorded - Edge is good, but he's can't produce more than one vocal note at a time like a peruvian throat singer. And the "Hola!" part has some extra help. I totally believe the "And it's you" falsetto part is both live Edge and sequenced.

But Bono is too much all over the place to effectively aid with tapes. All the taped stuff is way more mundane - tamborines here, keyboards there.

On this topic, whoever does the vocal mix for Bono is superb. Even all the way back to early tours, this guy (probably not the same dude as now) can really make a show with the right amount of echo placed at the appropriate times. It's not like they set it and forget it - someone is watching Bono the whole set and making adjustments to accentuate his phrasing, even through ad-libs. Is this Joe O'H. or someone else? It would actually be a cool job to have!

Well, actually it is the same guy, Joe O'Herlighy (sp?) has done their sound since the begining. He has said that after so many years he and Bono almost have a telepathic connection. They certainly have a language all their own. Joe almost knows what Bono wants before he asks for it.

Dana

rihannsu said:

Well, actually it is the same guy, Joe O'Herlighy (sp?) has done their sound since the begining. He has said that after so many years he and Bono almost have a telepathic connection. They certainly have a language all their own. Joe almost knows what Bono wants before he asks for it.

Dana

You're right it's the same guy but it's not as mystical as all that. He is their exclusive man at the board and let's face it, the catalogue they tour with isn't huge. For him to be at a point now, after 25+/- years on the road with which intrinsically would include hours and hours of soundchecking with Bono and requests and discussions offstage, to be at that stage where he intuitively knows what to do for each song, is less telepathic than him just being really dedicated and determined and them having a good rapport and doing their prep before the tour/show. There's alot of back and forth and work that goes into achieving that sound, it doesn't just happen. Mind you, with the way the technology is now and the ability to store/automate settings, even different settings changes for each song, it becomes less difficult to get up and running night after night, but somewhere down the line they had to sit down together and go over what would happen..he also does seem to have a naturally good ear and ability to translate what sounds good on an album to what sounds good in an arena with 20,000 people..because that can be drastically difffernt!

gabrielvox said:

You're right it's the same guy but it's not as mystical as all that. He is their exclusive man at the board and let's face it, the catalogue they tour with isn't huge. For him to be at a point now, after 25+/- years on the road with which intrinsically would include hours and hours of soundchecking with Bono and requests and discussions offstage, to be at that stage where he intuitively knows what to do for each song, is less telepathic than him just being really dedicated and determined and them having a good rapport and doing their prep before the tour/show. There's alot of back and forth and work that goes into achieving that sound, it doesn't just happen. Mind you, with the way the technology is now and the ability to store/automate settings, even different settings changes for each song, it becomes less difficult to get up and running night after night, but somewhere down the line they had to sit down together and go over what would happen..he also does seem to have a naturally good ear and ability to translate what sounds good on an album to what sounds good in an arena with 20,000 people..because that can be drastically difffernt!

I used the phrase almost telepathic because I heard Joe describe it that way himself in an interview. Of course I'm not talking about actual telepathy, but when people work together for a long time and know each others moves so well it can appear almost telepathic. I'm not being mystical. In spite of all the accusations people make about a lack of spontaneity in shows Bono often goes off into left field on them and it is a testament to their crew that it doesn't fall apart on them at those times. Interviews with Dallas, Joe, Willie and others frequently mention how Bono loves to muck things up with last minute changes and such.

Dana

Ah, well i took mystical and telepathic more in the context of your closing sentence...but I don't think we disagree too wildly on this, you seem to have a fair grasp of what's going on there and to be sure, the crew is probably one of the best if not THE best in the entire industry.

One thing I would bet money on, though, is that the times where Bono does something last minute that Joe has absolutely no clue where he's going with it or has never over the course of their relationship had Bono pull a similar stunt on him, I'd say that instance are rare to the point of almost nil. All I mean is that those moments that are 'spontaneous' for you and I are more like 'oh yeah, been there done that and well we do something like this for that song'...You (well I'm assuming) and I aren't sound engineers so our brains don't likely work in the same way ie we focus on other things, but believe me the good ones I've worked with live breathe eat and sleep sound and pride themselves greatly on remembering even the slightest conversation they've had with the musicians they support, if they like them. One guy in particular I know, I could play at his venue on a given date and not go back there for 2 years and I know he'll remember everything about what I like and what songs I like it for, and he likely wouldn't class himself as a huge U2 fan, but he does know the music...so can you imagine how much Joe has stored up in his mental database? He has been involved from day 1. I think back in the day when they were touring around in an old van they used to make sure he got paid before they even paid themselves! (well at least what I remember anyays)

Last edited:
gabrielvox said:
Ah, well i took mystical and telepathic more in the context of your closing sentence...but I don't think we disagree too wildly on this, you seem to have a fair grasp of what's going on there and to be sure, the crew is probably one of the best if not THE best in the entire industry.

One thing I would bet money on, though, is that the times where Bono does something last minute that Joe has absolutely no clue where he's going with it or has never over the course of their relationship had Bono pull a similar stunt on him, I'd say that instance are rare to the point of almost nil. All I mean is that those moments that are 'spontaneous' for you and I are more like 'oh yeah, been there done that and well we do something like this for that song'...You (well I'm assuming) and I aren't sound engineers so our brains don't likely work in the same way ie we focus on other things, but believe me the good ones I've worked with live breathe eat and sleep sound and pride themselves greatly on remembering even the slightest conversation they've had with the musicians they support, if they like them. One guy in particular I know, I could play at his venue on a given date and not go back there for 2 years and I know he'll remember everything about what I like and what songs I like it for, and he likely wouldn't class himself as a huge U2 fan, but he does know the music...so can you imagine how much Joe has stored up in his mental database? He has been involved from day 1. I think back in the day when they were touring around in an old van they used to make sure he got paid before they even paid themselves! (well at least what I remember anyays)

I get what you are saying but again, I wasn't talking about my perspective on what was spontaneous but on comments made by the crew themselves about scrambling to keep up with Bono's audibles. Just like a QB on the football team can call an audible and yes it's a play that everyone knows and knows their place in but it is still disconcerting and require a shift that if you are not very good can result in fumbles. This is one of the reasons that I have never understood the lack of respect that some artists have toward their crew. A good crew can literally make or break you. U2 have understood that from the beginning and obviously have made sure that they surround themselves with the best. It is one of the reasons that they are so good and so consistant. Bono has said that their art comes out of a community and that is so true. Everyone involved right down to the drivers has a contribution to make and U2 acknowledge that. They consistantly praise the people they work with and give credit to others rather than acting like it is all them. The loyalty of their employees speaks to their integrity not only compared to the rest of the music industry but to any business. I would love to see their management style outlined and talked about.

Dana

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. Had the pleasure to meet a few of their immediate community personally on the last tour sortof away from the hustle and bustle of the actual show and thru them got to know that U2 do indeed treat it like family right down to the drivers (esp the drivers! ;)). It was refreshing/relieving to find that out. Alot of rock stars forget about their crew when they are offstage/offtour. Not U2! Hopefully we'll get to meet in Nov, we can talk more about it :)

Last edited:
Might someone "official" from the board please explain to me, why my posts in this thread have been censored since yesterday – when I just want to express my agreement with gabrielvox and without offending anybody here?

gabrielvox said:
I'm not disagreeing with you at all. Had the pleasure to meet a few of their immediate community personally on the last tour sortof away from the hustle and bustle of the actual show and thru them got to know that U2 do indeed treat it like family right down to the drivers (esp the drivers! ;)). It was refreshing/relieving to find that out. Alot of rock stars forget about their crew when they are offstage/offtour. Not U2! Hopefully we'll get to meet in Nov, we can talk more about it :)

Yes, that will be cool and barring any unforseen emergencies I definitely plan to be at your show in November. Will you be here for more than just the day? I haven't had the opportunity yet to actually meet up with many U2 fans and I love to talk about the band.

Dana

gabrielvox said:
Hey man, don't you know agreeing with me and being inoffensive is an oxymoron? :wink:

Just kidding...seriously, I didn't see any censuring goin on, what do you mean?

I mean, that the last two of my posts regarding the discussion – just mentioning a support to your point of view plus a thanx to your words – "disappeared" in mysterious ways (*smile*) ...

rihannsu said:

Yes, that will be cool and barring any unforseen emergencies I definitely plan to be at your show in November. Will you be here for more than just the day? I haven't had the opportunity yet to actually meet up with many U2 fans and I love to talk about the band.

Dana

Well I think you'll definitely meet few U2 nuts like us then! I think that I'll be arriving the night before and will be there for a day or two more after that, Universal is just way too fun a place to pass up! :)

ZOOTVTOURist said:

I mean, that the last two of my posts regarding the discussion – just mentioning a support to your point of view plus a thanx to your words – "disappeared" in mysterious ways (*smile*) ...

hmm..maybe somethings up with your browser man, I still see those ones...honestly I don't think I've ever seen anyone's posts get outright removed...and I even I have let out some gems I'd rather did get removed :mad: :lol:

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom