Interference Note about Edge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2dork said:
All the bickering is making the dork feel ill. :barf:
I say we go back to answering Beli's poles, arguing over which unheard song is better than the other unheard song and posting shameless photos of sweaty Bono ( :combust: ) just like before :yes:

:hmm:

Katey said:

this interview was a one off , i understand people having questions absolutely. If your looking to know how it came about..and this will come as no suprise to ermm Edge.. I arranged to for the interview,the questions were directed to the band thats it. Perhaps the reason it doesnt sound as every other "media" interview is that it was a direct arrangement not made through "publicists" and it was made to be towards the fans as a one off. So in essence if you'd like to question credibility feel free to direct it towards me rather then Joel and the rest of the team..There a bit of the lil secret is out you prowded it out of me but happy to oblige the rest of the details arent really relevant I do not think.

the point of the begining of this e-mail was to get back to some normal sense of being but I seemed to not convey that very well.I'm not a mod cant speak on their behalf but will say they have done a fantastic job.. if threads are to be only because they violated a forum rules or spun out of control. Doesnt matter where your from be it American, Irish or anywhere else respect is universal ..Doesnt matter to me who you are I'll treat you with the same grain i do everyone..

ohh and thank you Power Surge..that was very kind all though i am sure giving me entirely to much credit..:wink:

I also think that the interview (though a good one) sounds very different from any other U2 interview I've read. And, although I've only been a fan for about 6 years, I have read every U2 interview I could get my hands on! I don't see how the fact that the interview wasn't made through publicists is relevant - publicists don't actually change the direct quotations from band members that we get in interviews, do they? Don't they just *arrange* interviews? Additionally, I have seen live interviews - which, I would think, it would be hard to tamper with - and even the tone of *these* is very different to the tone of this interview. What I would be interested to know is how this interview was conducted - was it given via the phone? Or email? Maybe the method in which it was conducted is what makes it so different.

mystery girl said:

I also think that the interview (though a good one) sounds very different from any other U2 interview I've read. And, although I've only been a fan for about 6 years, I have read every U2 interview I could get my hands on! I don't see how the fact that the interview wasn't made through publicists is relevant - publicists don't actually change the direct quotations from band members that we get in interviews, do they? Don't they just *arrange* interviews? Additionally, I have seen live interviews - which, I would think, it would be hard to tamper with - and even the tone of *these* is very different to the tone of this interview. What I would be interested to know is how this interview was conducted - was it given via the phone? Or email? Maybe the method in which it was conducted is what makes it so different.

It doesnt sound any different to me and I am a 20 year fan. I am new to posting here but I thought it was excellent and informative!:D
It doesn't matter HOW they got the Interview...just that they got it!:up:

Edge,

Thanks for using Interference as your way to update us fans....

I love this board, although I don't have much time to post on it....like yourself I have other things to do.....

I have started the following website / direct connect hub to make it able to share U2 Bootlegs between users, and please visit it one day....

It would mean a lot to me to know if I am doing a good job on it....

Like this forum/board has Operators, the hub also has....and they keep an eye out on what is being shared 24/7...

The hub is not Open, but only available to Registered users, and they can only share items which are not commercially based!!

Therefor the demo's/leaks can not be shared on the hub for example.....

....You should just visit the hub one day.....and form your own opinion...

website =U2Bloodredskyhub.com

Last edited:
Caroni said:
If I´m not mistaken, "The Edge" said in one of the post he did here that Love or peace or else "it´s a Heavy song", and this is the reviw of NME
That description sounds "Heavy"
For me, no other than a band member could know the description of a song that has not been released yet

I believe that it is THE EDGE for one reason, this is interference. Ive been on other sites and this is the shiizzzzzniiit....anyway, what I wanted to say was IF this was set up, it wouldnt be hard to comment on "Love and Peace" since we have all heard most of that song. Anyone knows it is "heavy."

Q: Have you ever joined one of the U2 chat rooms on the net?

Adam: Yeah, I've dropped in to a few chatrooms over the years. I usually try to answer the more obscure questions, though once I came away and realised that I'd given people all the wrong answers.

Hehe, Adam could've been here for a while, probably lurking more than anything else, and who would've known? Mysterious. :laugh:

---------

I've heard different stories, but allegedly Bono and Edge did post at Zootopia on U2.com, though not more than a few posts. I was signed up there about a month after it went up, and this was in the early days, back when the site wasn't that busy, that's the reason I went to Zootopia, I heard from a U2 newsgroup that Bono and Edge had posted, and that's how I started checking Zootopia out.

I also saw an Adam Charles Clayton on Zootopia, in the "who's online" list, but I have no idea, maybe it wasn't him, maybe it was, and he thought nobody would believe it's really him, I did see Larry Mullen Jr., but that one was hard to believe.

Last edited:

Maybe my memory is wrong or just stretches back farther than others, but I seem to remember a time when a fake Edge was posting here for a while with some innuendo from Elvis that he was the real thing, and it later turned out to be false.

That said, I feel that this situation is entirely different and Edge most likely is Edge. I do find it a little, well, embarassing watching everyone fawn all over Edge's every post, as if every word held some sort of magic. He's a great musician and a great guy, but come on now, let's try and tone the hero worship down to a dull roar. ;)

And regarding Edge's comment to jick: Edge is a human being. Capable of being annoyed and capable of error. Perhaps it wasn't best comparing jick's words with terrorism, but to the best of my knowledge, and despite being a cool guy, Edge is not perfect. Keep in mind that most of our interaction with Edge and his thoughts comes through interviews - only a very few of us here (if any) can say that we know what Edge is like in daily conversation. Perhaps he was a little hasty and just said what he felt at the moment, as we so often do in real life. Or perhaps he just made an unwise choice in analogies. He is human, y'know.

Last edited:
I was skeptical, that's why I looked for his posts.

I'll know it's him if he actually asks Adam about that metallic bracelet he's been wearing for quite some time, and mentions something about it in an interview or something because I've read lots of interviews, and I never seen it brought up, or maybe I'm just a dork for noticing, trying to see how he plays certain songs, is how I first noticed it.

Yes, I have been called weird on more than one occasion.

Last edited:
What I would be interested to know is how this interview was conducted - was it given via the phone? Or email? Maybe the method in which it was conducted is what makes it so different.
All I'll really say as mentioned before, it was a one off sort of more informal interview, which tends from my experience to yes have different tone sometimes..
cheers

:confused:

I don't know what to think anymore. Some say Edge IS The Edge, some say Dalkey Beach was/is? The Edge, and some say Edge is not The Edge, but someone else posing as him. A confirmation of sorts would be nice.

While it's indeed flattering and cool if it is him, perhaps it would be better if we stick to the "ask Edge" thing rather than him posting. Because, as we've seen, a thread where he appears gets 20 pages and it's impossible for him to reply to everyone, and it's probably time consuming for him to search for questions over the tons of "you rock/we love you" messages. Also, it's hard for us to search for his posts and answers (unless he starts the tread, that is). Last but not least, the album and tour are coming up - and I think that he'll have even less time to post.

Last edited:
I wonder what Edge thinks when he reads threads like this, I'm sure a prt of him thinks 'why bother posting if all they're going to do is question it'. I don't think he's been back for a few days now, and it'll become more scarce, I say enjoy it while we've got it.

I understand that we question things like this, but it just seems everything the mod's have went through to bring us the interview with the band and the Q & A with Edge for it not to be really Edge.

Diemen said:

Maybe my memory is wrong or just stretches back farther than others, but I seem to remember a time when a fake Edge was posting here for a while with some innuendo from Elvis that he was the real thing, and it later turned out to be false.

I recall this too. I also recall quite a few fake "U2 members" on the old WIRE. For a while, some were considered to be real - and indeed, for the PopMart tour there was a *huge* WIRE banner that WIRE members as well as all the member of U2 (including P. McGuinness) signed. Sadly, that banner was either lost or stolen somewhere in eastern Europe. My point, though, is that U2 did know about WIRE - but were those posts on WIRE from U2 members? Ultimately all posts were proven fake. Hence after being fooled so many times over the years, I can understand why some have reservations now.

Diemen said:

And regarding Edge's comment to jick: Edge is a human being. Capable of being annoyed and capable of error. Perhaps it wasn't best comparing jick's words with terrorism, but to the best of my knowledge, and despite being a cool guy, Edge is not perfect. Keep in mind that most of our interaction with Edge and his thoughts comes through interviews - only a very few of us here (if any) can say that we know what Edge is like in daily conversation. Perhaps he was a little hasty and just said what he felt at the moment, as we so often do in real life. Or perhaps he just made an unwise choice in analogies. He is human, y'know.

My comments were not meant to disparage the venerable Edge in any fashion. I have nothing but the utmost respect for the man - as I do for most people. However, I am not star struck. Had anyone *other* than the Edge used that terrorist analogy against Jick, I'm fairly positive the mods would have stated something.

Edge has every right to be flustered. Jick (or J) has been antagonizing U2 fans for years - since the old WIRE days. He seems to question every facet of U2, from the success of their albums and tours, to their very music. And as Elvis astutely stated, it seems that every thread Jick starts is negative. For a person who considers himself a fan, Jick certainly had a very unusual and frustrating manner in displaying it. Edge, as were many of us, was annoyed that once again Jick was negatively questioning U2 on some rather banal points.

Still, annoyance aside, one must be careful with analogies. And I mean that for ALL of us. Comparisons to Hitler, Nazi's, Stalin or terrorists of any type should not be used liberally or without extreme merit. Jick was indeed igniting the flame - but along the lines of terrorists? So I just thought I'd say that we ALL should be more respectful, even of people like Jick. :wink:

Last edited:
Idon't see anything wrong with the terrorist analogies... trolling is a form of terrorism. :wink:

Seriously, I like jick and I have no problem with the terrorist analogy. It was just a metaphor/ analogy. Geez people are pretty uptight/ sensitive. At least the Edge didn't say f**k off or you f**king suck. He was more creative in his posts...

I'm not so sure this thread even needed to be created. There will be those who believe and those who don't. That is a given. Interference doesn't need to validate what they do. If someone is upset with it, they have every right to create their own site.

But nonetheless i will weigh in with my "Edge" opinion. When Dalkey posted, i did not believe because i thought, "Yeah, ok, what are the odds of a band member having the time or even caring enough to spend some time here." And then the Interference interview popped up, which people (including me) thought sounded Edge-like..and then the Edge himself popped in. Coincidence? I think not. If the band wants immediate feedback to their work, where are they going to go? Here, no question.

No-one has said what the problem with speculating about Dalkey is.....

Dalkey didn't seem bothered by it and there was no bickering or flaming - more like some interesting detective work and speculation.

Diemen said:

As another of the oldtimers (hell there was a time I had more posts than anyone else) I also remember this. And I think a lot of people got the definite sense Elvis was masquerading as Edge, and I *believe* in the end he came out and admitted it was a hoax. I don't entirely remember all the details, but it did do something to hurt the credibility of the stite.

I also think it's strange to hedge around the question of how the interview was conducted. It's a fairly simple question and a simple answer would do a lot to lend it some believability.

Well there, I sound like a skpetical asshole. I don't really mean to be. I just think there's some things that are better said than not said. Because one-sided statements or arguments always worry me ;) Humans progress by asking questions, and providing details... not be blindly following or blindly fighting.

I actually do believe this is the Edge.. and of course that's up to me, but I think the evidence for it is stronger than the evidence against it.

I also get a kick out of him using the little edge emoticon, as all the band member emoticons were made by my brother KevM way back in the day. Now there's some trivia for ya :p

SkeeK said:

I also think it's strange to hedge around the question of how the interview was conducted. It's a fairly simple question and a simple answer would do a lot to lend it some believability.

Agreed. Saying it was a one-off interview doesn't tell us anything useful, nor does it answer the question of how the interview was conducted. Phone? Email? In person (heh)? Any of those would suffice.

I'm juggling a couple different trips today,
so just don't have time to see if I'm even posting in the right place by reading upthread a bunch...

so please forgive me if I'm not putting this in the right place, but...

I just flashed this morning on how Edge is really onto something with this terrorist analogy! As a technique in fact, not just as a metaphor.

I realized I do it all the time with my kids, and am having better success doing it with hubby too...as long as it's done with love, which I felt edge did.

You name the feeling. You catch the vibe and then you echo it back and it isn't the same trip anymore, it can dissolve away.

When my daughter was having a fit in the back of the car because she really wanted the fucking macaroni and cheese she didn't get a chance to eat before we left, and she was hitting her brother and making him cry, I told her she was so angry she could just hit this boy, who did nothing to her, who's just loving her, because she's so ANGRY. And I played angry and showed her what it looked like (this was all done while vertigo was playing on my little stereo, but I turned it down some more).
Her brother almost asked for an apology, demanded one
self-righteously as he sometimes does. Then I ...much more tentatively, adopted this tone with him that was on the edge of mocking...much harder to pull off than the angry tone...and voiced his trip a little...'all I'm doing is sitting here and giving her a book to make her feel better and she just throws it at me, hurting my head and messing up my seatbelt and it's not fair. why does this happen to me?'...and then he seemed to feel much better...
and then she seemed to feel much better and said well, you know. I was feeling angry and really mad at you 'cause I wasn't getting what I wanted' which is both incredible for a 4 year old and not at all weird because they can still get at how they really feel if we let them.

Usually with hubby when I accuse him of terrorist tactics ...I more often term it 'guerilla' tactics...the stick of dynamite thing is much better, I usually tell him instead that i'm sick of him hiding behind the chair and lobbing bombs at me and then running away the fucking coward...
I don't do it very lovingly and that backfires..oh does it backfire!

So, the terrorist shouldn't be thought of as not human, they are not hideous...the war is hideous, but the warrior is human (did you all hear John Kerry last night...don't mean to get political at all here!...use the 'don't confuse the war with the warrior' line?!
I'd switch it for clearer effect to 'don't confuse the warrior with the war' here, not sure why)

In naming the feeling, Edge --I felt like he was channeling Bono actually--named the terrorist, and it was actually a loving thing to do. Be the bomb, the stick of dynamite, in the face of the stick of dynamite, but with love, and you defeat it.

And so now in my head on this particular trip I can't help but feel those quotes I recall seeing somewhere don't know where or maybe he actually said it in a show? probably not...
Bono talking about/being macphisto and vibing mock the devil and he will flee from thee?

Thanks...I feel much better now...head's still spinning but its a little more centered on my neck for getting that out!

And Thanks to the Edge for that stick of dynamite riff! ( I think I hear it in vertigo as well...)

cheers all!

Last edited:
Sheesh!! I just have to say that I don't like the energy of this thread.

I wouldn't normally post, but I really don't like seeing members turn on each other like this - including the "real" or the "not real" Edge. Just like anyone else, he should be able to say whatever he wants and let the moderators decide if his terminology is within parameters. And the rest of us can either agree or disagree. Regardless, even if The Edge isn't THE Edge, he seems to be a U2 fan, so he belongs here like the rest of us.

As far as the interview being legit or not - does it REALLY matter? I mean REALLY! C'mon. If it was - SUPER cool, but if not, does it REALLY matter? It was fun and exciting. Is anyone taking the info received from that or any of The Edge's posts and using it for their Ten Commandments?

Are we in danger of taking our love of U2 TOO seriously? This is supposed to be about love and admiration of U2, but most of all commraderie. Peace!

I don't know...just my 2 cents.

:dance:

Diemen said:

Agreed. Saying it was a one-off interview doesn't tell us anything useful, nor does it answer the question of how the interview was conducted. Phone? Email? In person (heh)? Any of those would suffice.

I agree too. In fact, whenever I read an interview (and not just on U2), the writer (or interviewer) always starts by stating where he/she is (e.g. at the person's home, in a restaurant, talking via phone, etc.). As such, I don't think it's such a stretch to state how this interview was conducted - it's standard journalism. But clearly they have their reasons for this and we have to respect them.

My goodness doctor who too? Some people who haven't posted at Interference in a long long time have shown up lately :hmm: ...must be a new album due out soon?
I too am surprised Edge has chosen this format to communicate with fans. As stated before, I don't surf the net much, but I presume there are many good websites dedicated to U2. I hope he is finding time to visit them.
I haven't read much of what Edge has written here, it kinda gets lost in all the associated carry-on that ensues and I don't have net time to go searching for it, but the couple of things I did read kinda burst the bubble I had created about Edge. I didn't think he would talk like that. C'est la vie, you never can tell.

People have very short memories and are easily manipulated , so whatever the truth proves to be, Interference shall endure, with or without members of U2 posting here. It has a family atmosphere imho and that is a good thing.
**adds her regards and appreciation of Elvis and Co, for all the hard work they do to keep this site healthy and happy**
:edge: :heart:

cass said:
My goodness doctor who too? Some people who haven't posted at Interference in a long long time have shown up lately :hmm: ...must be a new album due out soon?
I too am surprised Edge has chosen this format to communicate with fans. As stated before, I don't surf the net much, but I presume there are many good websites dedicated to U2. I hope he is finding time to visit them.
I haven't read much of what Edge has written here, it kinda gets lost in all the associated carry-on that ensues and I don't have net time to go searching for it, but the couple of things I did read kinda burst the bubble I had created about Edge.
People have very short memories and are easily manipulated , so whatever the truth proves to be, Interference shall endure, with or without members of U2 posting here. It has a family atmosphere imho and that is a good thing.
**adds her regards and appreciation of Elvis and Co, for all the hard work they do to keep this site healthy and happy**

You dont surf the net much? 6,000 posts?

I didn't think he would talk like that. C'est la vie, you never can tell.
You have "obviously" never met the Edge

:hmm: ...must be a new album due out soon?

might explain why he is here at all......

I think you should be happy while he come round...because you can bet it wont last!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, which should be respected not brought down because its not the same as your own.

I personally dont believe that the Edge has posted and when I said that I got blasted for it in a thread in PLEBA which I found very annoying. But thats up to me!
I'm also one of the long standing fans over 24 years and have never encountered the level of animosity from other U2 "fans" that both myself and my friends have encountered over the last 10 months.
But on the other hand we have had some amazing experiences with some great fans and the band this year so to them thank you!!

You know who you are!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom