If U2/Bono care for Africa so much...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
Why hasn't a concert been played in Africa?

I know they played in South Africa, but if Bono's direct issue is Africa, then why not play a concert for them? It would be of great hope and care, sincerity that U2 played there. Since some of their songs, like "Streets" is written about Africa.

theu2fly said:

I know they played in South Africa

Um... Isn't South Africa a part of Africa? :eyebrow: Like U2girl said, they did play 2 Popmart shows there.

I imagine logistics in many African countries could be a nightmare.

Popmart in was in 1997/1998, AGES AGO. It would be very easy for u2 to go to africa for the elevation or vertigo tours.

If they really wanted to they could play johannesbourg and cairo without any problems.

They have obviously decided it will cost to much money to go there.

Bono is highlighting a great cause, and i don't mind him doing it away from the gigs, but he just won't shut up about during the concerts and he is turning the show into a lecture sometimes.

I wished I understood more about the motive for this question.:scratch:

Many Africans (South Africans included) can't afford to put a loaf of bread on the table, much less buy concert tickets. Not to mention the fact that it would be very dangerous for U2 to go any place other than South Africa (actually, knowing what Joburg is like now, it's still dangerous). Unless you've lived in Africa yourself, you really have no idea what it's like.

And like Beli said, Popmart was also the last time U2 played Australia, so I don't think there's any bias towards Africans.

U2 also played Australia several times before Popmart, so comparison to Africa doesn't really work.

U2girl said:
U2 also played Australia several times before Popmart, so comparison to Africa doesn't really work.

Was there Apartheid in Australia?

theu2fly said:

I know they played in South Africa, but if Bono's direct issue is Africa, then why not play a concert for them? It would be of great hope and care, sincerity that U2 played there. Since some of their songs, like "Streets" is written about Africa.

Africa is like you said Bono' s issue - not U2's. Even if it were, as somebody said above U2 may not be that popular in Africa except for South Africa perhaps, and as it also has been said, the lack of actual cash to buy concert tickets should be accounted for.

nickypiemcg said:
How is streets written about africa? Is that true?

Yes, it's true. Homework time for ya! ;)

Bono was inspired to write this song when he and his wife visited Ethiopia after the Live Aid concert in 1985. That was when he began to learn the true state of that continent.

That said, Bono's lyrics are very poetic - one reason I'm such a U2 fan. And, as such, the lyrics can be interpreted in many different ways. So if you've always viewed "Streets" having another meaning, it's not necessarily incorrect.

U2girl said:

I meant that U2 haven't held a world tour since Popmart so the fact that U2 haven't played Africa since Popmart means little. U2 haven't played many places since Popmart.

peace

beli said:

I meant that U2 haven't held a world tour since Popmart so the fact that U2 haven't played Africa since Popmart means little. U2 haven't played many places since Popmart.

peace

Actually the reason U2 hasn't played Australia is because they decided they didn't like any of you.

...Or maybe some other reason.... But what the hell, I'll go with the one that pisses people off. :D

It's worth noting U2 have only played South America on Popmart too.

afc1903 said:
Bono is highlighting a great cause, and i don't mind him doing it away from the gigs, but he just won't shut up about during the concerts and he is turning the show into a lecture sometimes.

:yes: mm hmm.. i was listening to some bootlegs from TUF tour until now meaning vertigo tour and I realized that as each tour went on his lectures/talking have been increasing as well.. haha

but back to the topic.
i doubt that U2/Bono is that unintelligent. it would've obviously crossed their minds to play in africa (ex. popmart) but I'm sure since they haven't played in africa recently, they have a good reason. if they don't then.. :shrug: who knows

Africa is such and ace continent. I had the pleasure of doing the grand tour of South Africa back in 2003 and had the absolute time of my life. The vibe was just that amazing.

I've been fascinated with the continent ever since I saw the 1995 World Cup as a 10 year old on telly, knew I had to go. Had a heap of africaaner friends, learnt enough afrikaans to insult anyone and eventually went over the 2003 CWC and to see a few old friends.

What struck me though was South Africa's incredible ability to hold major events though despite being essentially a third world country. I mean when I tour Ellis Park they had photos up from all the events they've hosted there - like the Stones and stuff, amazing. If U2 were to play Ellis Park ever....:drool: :drool:

It will really aggrivate me if Bono uses the concerts as a pulpit for Africa but doesnt actually hit Africa up. It can be easily done at least in South Africa. If he merely speaks but does not act - then I will be left feeling slightly bemused. Africa is such a dandy place with a reasonably shameful past (what countries/continents dont) but a very, very bright future.

(On that Australia bitching, New Zealand hasn't had U2 since ZooTV so quiet you're typical whinging please... thanks):wink:

timothius said:

(On that Australia bitching, New Zealand hasn't had U2 since ZooTV so quiet you're typical whinging please... thanks):wink:

That's because U2 likes y'all even less than the Aussies. :yes: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom