I Met My First.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gherman

New Yorker
I ran in to the first person yesterday that did not know who U2 was or had never heard of U2. I really am amazed at it. I asked him what rock he has been living under for the past 20 years. Have any of you guys run into this?

Yes. It's quite common in high school. I've also met people that think U2 is a new band (because of Vertigo) and people that think Bon Jovi is the lead singer :laugh:

yes.. a few times actually. lol.

and they were my age or older, were music fans somewhat.. but they didnt know who U2 were. "it sounds familiar though..."

kind of odd. i went to high school with a girl who had no clue who Michael Jackson was either.. so... who knows. maybe this is truly the twilight zone. lol.

FungusAmongus said:
i went to high school with a girl who had no clue who Michael Jackson was either.. so... who knows. maybe this is truly the twilight zone. lol.

:shocked:

Older people (like 70+) and younger people (13 and younger) I can understand. But U2 is the most popular band in the world. How do you NOT hear of them?

Well, this guy was about 20 years old. I mentioned a bunch of songs and then when I said has you heard of "Beautiful Day"? He said ya!!! Thats messed up to me. I wonder how many people, if you asked, "have you heard of the Beatles?" would say no. It makes me sick to think that music is that lost today.:|

and these people surely arent living under a rock. they watch TV.. occasionally listen to the radio... they're adults...
it baffles me. lol.

and yep, i've met some people who thought U2 were brand new, based on the whole Vertigo thing. LOL.

i was talking to a guy (a customer), who was at least in his 30's at a music shop not too long ago, while I was looking around for some u2 remix stuff, and he comes up to me and says "Oh, you like U2?" and I say, "Of course. Been a fan since 1992.... just saw them live in Philly.." and he looks at me weird.. and says, "1992??" and I said, "yep, around when Achtung Baby came out.." and he's still looking at me like I'm an alien.. "whats that?", and I wasnt sure if he was joking or not, and then he said "I thought they were a new band. They've been around for that long?" haha longer, dude!!! LOL. then he started asking me all these questions and we're looking at all the U2 cd's on the shelf and hes totally shocked. then he made a comment, something like "I was wondering. Because it is kinda odd for a bunch of grandpas to suddenly out of nowhere get big in the music scene. you know?.." then I wanted to smack his face in for that. :mad:

oh, and one time while I was shopping at Tower Records, I asked the guy who worked there if they had a certain Bob Dylan album I had been looking for.. and he asks "Bob Dylan? Who's that? What genre?" DUDE, YOU'RE WORKING AT A MUSIC SHOP. WHAT THE HELL?

this guy was in his late 20s.. or early 30s...

either way.... what the hell??? lol.

If they don't know who the biggest names in pop culture are then I hate to think of how much they (don't) know about politics, history, current events, and things that are really important. That's pretty scary.

(Unless of course they are super intellectuals who don't waste their time with anything outside of their chosen fields, but I doubt it.)

smurf_sista said:
i uh thought that when ATYCLB came out... but i was only like 12ish!

That's okay, youngsters get a reprieve. :wink: I didn't know a lot about music at that age either, even the biggest and most legendary musicians.

smurf_sista said:
i uh thought that when ATYCLB came out... but i was only like 12ish!

You must be around 17 then. I am impressed that you are into U2 as much as you are then :)

Good job young man

Two of the security guys at Philips Arena in Atlanta had never heard of them. I mentioned some of the most famous songs/Bono/sunglasses/ANYTHING.....nope.

These were guys in their 20's.

:confused:
:der:

Actually, yes, I have. Currently, I'm putting one of my buddies down the hall from me (at college) through an Intro to U2 program.

FungusAmongus said:
oh, and one time while I was shopping at Tower Records, I asked the guy who worked there if they had a certain Bob Dylan album I had been looking for.. and he asks "Bob Dylan? Who's that? What genre?" DUDE, YOU'RE WORKING AT A MUSIC SHOP. WHAT THE HELL?

this guy was in his late 20s.. or early 30s...

either way.... what the hell??? lol.

that's...worse. way worse. that makes me sad for humanity.

Hey, I'm 17 too! Someone commend me! U2 has been my band since Pop! POP :drool: Paaaaaaaaaahhhhp

Even my 83-year old grandma knows who U2 and Bono are!

Granted, it's only because I've done nothing but talk about how much I love their music for the last 15 years, but still ... it counts!

:wink:

I'm 17 too!!! But yea there are people in their 30s that have NO idea who U2 are. It gets me very frustrated! I don't understand...I mention their songs and their like huh? What is that....My parents even know their songs (but then again I do listen to them ALL the time) But I get kind of frustrated when people in their 20s don't even know who they are.

prisz25 said:
I'm 17 too!!! But yea there are people in their 30s that have NO idea who U2 are. It gets me very frustrated! I don't understand...I mention their songs and their like huh? What is that....My parents even know their songs (but then again I do listen to them ALL the time) But I get kind of frustrated when people in their 20s don't even know who they are.

rock on for being 17 :rockon:

most people at my school only know recent stuff. Beautiful Day, Elevation, Vertigo. People don't seem to grasp that they've been around and making music for nearly 30 years.

My favourite ignorant quote regarding U2: "U2 aren't smart enough to write about the BIBLE!!"

yeah. okay. U2 has definitely never put religion in their music, ever. at all. cuz they're dumb.

I've met a few people in fundamentalist Christian circles who don't know who U2 are, but then again, these are the same people who think God speaks through George Bush and that secular music (or even music with guitars) is inherently sinful, so ...

LikeNoOneBefore said:
I just get ticked off anytime someone in my school calls him "Bone-o." :| Hahaha

one girl asked me if Bon-o used to sing with Cher

I almost punched her in the jaw, but that wouldn't be nice

LemonMacPhisto said:

one girl asked me if Bon-o used to sing with Cher

I almost punched her in the jaw, but that wouldn't be nice

:laugh:

When I first got into U2 during ATYCLB (around 16 years old at the time), I had only known that they'd been around during the 90's... was very surprised to find out they were making music during the 80's :ohmy:

I got you all beat.

U2 has been my band since the Joshua Tree, and I WAS BORN IN 1985! I WAS 2 YEARS OLD AND RUNNING TO WATCH U2 VIDEOS ON MTV! (when MTV accually used to show music videos :wink: )

Plenty of people I know didnt know who U2 were at my school.
Everyone thought I was crazy going to america and see them back in March....Ahhh Good Times!

JMScoopy said:
I got you all beat.

U2 has been my band since the Joshua Tree, and I WAS BORN IN 1985! I WAS 2 YEARS OLD AND RUNNING TO WATCH U2 VIDEOS ON MTV! (when MTV accually used to show music videos :wink: )

well. I remember listening to the song One when I was like three.

...but yeah, you win :sad:

I got a new job about the time ATYCLB came out. One of my new 50-something co-workers was trying to make conversation one day and asked me what kind of music I like. I said my favorite band is U2 and she said, "Who?"

However, one of my other co-workers, who is also in her 50s, was like, "Yeah, U2! Bono is hot!" when the subject came up.

I met this history student on campus the other day who thought U2 was the name of a spy plane! what a dumbass!!! :lmao:

:|

;)

Back
Top Bottom