How do you usually spend Christmas Day- any rituals etc????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OzAurora

Refugee
The Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
Christmas day for me is usually quite fun and interesting- I usually end up going out to some clubs on christmas eve with friends and last year we all got a bit too sloshed on tequilia......

then wake up on Christmas day with a slight hangover which can be made worse if it is really hot, as it was last year- then I go out to an early lunch with my Mum and eat heaps of seafood....then at about 1pm I go and visit my Dad at friends place of his and once again eat too much, laze about the pool wearing funny hats and drinking too much......then at about 5pm role around to my friends place and get stuck into drinking some more- last year it was bloody marys---ooohhhhh!!!!! continue wearing funny hats, still eat too much and spend the night getting way too drunk and staying cool and then wake up on the 26th and laze about for a bit and then watch the Boxing Day test
smile.gif

Oooh, that sounds like fun!!

Christmas Eve and Day are usually spent at home with my mom and my aunts, uncles and cousins. They come over or we go to their houses to open presents and eat. Christmas Day the last few years we just usually lie around all day watching movies and fooling with the new stuff we all got.
smile.gif

------------------
"I sometimes get the odd twinge that I wouldn't mind playing lead guitar, just like a couple of notes, but that's about as near as I would want to get to the front." -Larry

Christmas Eve my family including all aunts, uncles, cousins etc... come over to our house for dinner. We have fish. However, when we were younger none of the children liked fish so my mama would make her pizza for the kids. So that continued through the years and now it's pizza and fish for dinner. Then we all go to midnight mass. After mass we come home and everyone opens one present.

Christmas Day is presents in the morning and more family time. We'll have a big family dinner. We usually end up playing games and cards throughout the day.

------------------
~ME THREE

Don't get sentimental
It always ends up drivel

Christmas Eve starts at midday with fresh prawns, cold beer, a sweet swimming pool and a BBQ lunch at a friends house. A tradition we've had since high school. Then we go to the local pub which has a large outdoor area and about (no joke) 4000 locals all show up, just about everyone you've ever known your whole life, all the streets get closed off. Things get messy and at midnight I stumble home feeling very festive.
Next day we rotate between our house or my cousins house for a big family do, which is great, good food, lots of it, and all my cousins are around my age so lots more drinking and fun, and more swimming. Really feels like a summer party. Then I sleep for 6 days till New Years.

Originally posted by TylerDurden:
Christmas Eve starts at midday with fresh prawns, cold beer, a sweet swimming pool and a BBQ lunch at a friends house. A tradition we've had since high school. Then we go to the local pub which has a large outdoor area and about (no joke) 4000 locals all show up, just about everyone you've ever known your whole life, all the streets get closed off. Things get messy and at midnight I stumble home feeling very festive.
Next day we rotate between our house or my cousins house for a big family do, which is great, good food, lots of it, and all my cousins are around my age so lots more drinking and fun, and more swimming. Really feels like a summer party. Then I sleep for 6 days till New Years.

That sounds AWESOME!!!

Originally posted by U2ME3:
Christmas Eve my family including all aunts, uncles, cousins etc... come over to our house for dinner. We have fish. However, when we were younger none of the children liked fish so my mama would make her pizza for the kids. So that continued through the years and now it's pizza and fish for dinner. Then we all go to midnight mass. After mass we come home and everyone opens one present.

Sounds strangely like my family! We always order pizza on Christmas Eve, but we open our one present BEFORE going to Midnight Mass. And because we're such night people, we usually stay up after mass and play a game, wrap extra presents, or watch that Ralphie movie.

Consequently, my Christmas Day tradition, even as a child, was bitching about having to get out of bed to open presents. My sisters and I can usually hold out in bed until about noon, then the presents must be attacked in a sleepy stupor.

Well I don't really have much family except my mum so Christmas Eve I'll probably spend with some friends getting quite merry, and as for Christmas Day I'm going to do down to help feed lunch to the homeless. I have done this the past 2 years and really enjoy helping out. Christmas afternoon/dinner I'll have with my mother.
smile.gif

Hmmmm...well, now that my sibs are 'grown up' and have kids, it's a bit different: we go to my grandparents' house on Christmas Eve and open presents there, then we drive around (mom, dad, sis and me, woo hoo) looking at Christmas lights...go home and have some eggnog and cookies...sack out for the night, then get up and open more prezzies Christmas day! Then my mom usually has a big dinner late afternoon with SCADS of food...and yet more dessert.
eek.gif

Then we roll each other out of the dining room, ala the blown-up blueberry girl in the Chocolate Factory; find places to crash, and catch a few Zzzz's before... getting up a couple hours later for some more snacking on leftovers!! SOO-EEEEEY!!!

OINK to the world, and HIPPO Holidays everyone!!
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Discoteque (edited 12-17-2001).]

Those are such fun stories to read! LOL!

Christmas Eve is spent with my boyfriend's family where they open presents that night and play games, namely a huge Boggle tournament that gets rather ugly!!
smile.gif

Christmas morning is breakfast at my mom's house and then prezzies with my mom, stepdad, aunt&uncle, and grandmother.

This year is a bit different - on Christmas Day my boyfriend's family is renting this stately beachhouse in Destin, Fl., and we are gonna spend the week there reading, playing games and sleeping. WHOOHOO!!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by HelloAngel (edited 12-17-2001).]

Some of these sound a lot like mine -

Usually Christmas Eve I do mass with my parents and then make the rounds with my brothers visiting the various aunts and uncles etc... as well as going to my parents for dinner. Christmas day is usually just dinner with a few relatives. this year is all mixed up though. My aunt and uncle we usually do Christmas with are staying in florida. And this christmas eve I'm spending with my boyfriend's family, which is already freaking me out! Then of course, I have to work Christmas night...blah!

------------------
God has got his phone off the hook, babe...Would he even pick up if he could?

Originally posted by Se7en:
i usually slaughter a goat and drink its blood...

wow! You, too? I hear it dies quicker if you throw a Mariah Carey CD on while you're "slaughtering"(preferrably the Christmas album...)

------------------
N A T E

We Need New Dreams Tonight...

oh to be a child again.....
These days my hub usually has a gig on Christmas Eve, so we dutifully let him sleep on Christmas morning, but about 10 am I can await no longer. I start hovering, shuffling things about, generally making noise
biggrin.gif
We jump in the car and drive to my parents place, enjoy lunch together,go for a swim.

One "ritual" that has persisted since I was a child, we listen to Bing Crosby's reading of "The Happy Prince" It's been going on so long, it's on vinyl record. It always makes me feel warm and fuzzy and reminds us to care about others.
"..swallow, little swallow, will you not stay with me one more night, I see a seamstress who's son is ill. Take my eyes..."

Good will to all men.

[This message has been edited by cass (edited 12-23-2001).]

My family opens presents on Christmas Eve, not Christmas Day. We sit around the tree, turn some nice Christmas music, put the lights on low, nibble on Christmas cookies and Chex mix, and Dad reads the Christmas story from the Gospel of Luke. Then we divey out the gifts which doesn't take too long because there is only four of us. lol. Then we sit around and chat and such. Christmas Day, dad might make something special for breakfast like his famous biscuits and sausage gravy. Then we all help mom cook the traditional lunch. Turkey, cornbread dressing, mashed potatoes, rolls, corn, and cranberry sauce.
biggrin.gif
And that's about it.

My family opens presents on Christmas Eve as well (Polish tradition). We have a big traditional christmas meal (Polish holiday meals.....yuuuuuuummmm), then, depending on how late everything is running, we'll either go to midnight mass and then open presents afterwards, or do the reverse if we actually start dinner before 10pm (a rarity w/ my parents).

Christmas Day is pretty laid back...we all sleep in then have a nice brunch and later on a good dinner.

Back
Top Bottom