How BIG is this album gonna get???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawk269

Acrobat
These tunes are just enormous in scope and breadth. Besides the awards it will surely take in...the real question is this - will this be an album all of your casual non-U2 fan friends will come up to you and start going off on how much they love it? You know, the people who usually tell you how crazy you are for liking U2 so much.

It's hard to tell so soon, but tunes like Vertigo, Miracle Drug, Sometimes, ABOY, and OOTS are just *undeniably* amazing....put them all together and you have a powerhouse of a collection of songs. Not since Achtung have they strung together this many potential hit singles.

I think it would be more amazing for U2 to gain huge momentum now because these are outright soul songs with very direct emotional appeals, not ironic forays into themes of betrayal and darkness that used catchy hooks to get the masses to hum along without necessarily understanding the soul part (EBTTRT, UTETOW, Wild Horses). Of course, there are many catchy hooks on this album as well...

I will be interested to see how the public embraces this "direct-soul" album versus Achtung's subtle depth.

If nothing else, let's enjoy this ride over the next year together...who knows what the future holds...I just want to take all of this in with the best music fans on the planet.

AJ

I totally see where you're coming from, being a disturbingly big fan, myself. Still, I really don't see the general public picking up this album the way they picked up Achtung Baby over a decade ago. Music is in a very different place, and U2 isn't really helping matters.

While pretty much all of these songs are indeed catchy (I'm humming them all...minus "A Man and a Woman," of course), but I don't know that they're catchy in the way that they would need to be to certify a hit of such monstrous proportions.

Of course, a HORRENDOUS video for "Vertigo" and the fact that the band is still not releasing commercial singles stateside will probably prevent album sales of such a great magnitude. Will the album be big? Oh, definitely. It may even outsell the last album (but that's wild conjecture...I have sensed a sort of mellow U2-backlash since around the time "Electrical Storm" was released, so we'll have to see whether or not my fears are realized), but I don't think it's even conceivable that it'll sell like albums sold from '87-'91. I think casual fans'll pick her up, but I don't think all THAT many people will be converted...and those "swing listeners" would have to come out in droves to cement that kind of popularity.

This is U2's Abbey Road. This is an album for men and women and those with a true ear for music, not for 14 year old kids that are asking for allowence money to go out and get a Britney Spears album.

I Could definatly see why they were thinking about naming this album Hanover Quay now it truely does seem like a suitable title for it.

Will it be huge yes and it will be a consistant seller over many years just like Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby.

I quite frankly thought that was the failure of ATYCLB if there was one is that it was a little bit too radio friendly.

The failure of ATYCLB?? Didn't that CD sell over 4 million in the U.S. alone? And also they didn't release any singles in the States for ATYCLB so I don't think that has any impact on the sells figures for HTDAAB.

I didnt say it was a sales failure. It wasnt a sales failure but it certainly was in my opinion far too radio friendly and thats why it didnt make the "3rd U2 classic" that the media was claiming it was.

This album will be frickin' huge....the ipod ad and other tv shows are sparking big interest. I work at barnes and noble and we're ordering 42 of the album and about a dozen deluxe editions (one of which is on order for me) we should have it all over the store. Every U2 album is a huge event and the hype for this album is massive. This will easily surpass ATYCLB in sales i think.

also i like the vertigo video. it has some great special effects and a unique look which is all a video for a song like vertigo really needs. For Some Times... and Miracle Drug the video will probably be more One/Stay-ish. I think vertigo definitely attract the teenage audience that primarily watch music videos.

In my life, this album is 2004-2005. In 3 days it's left it's mark, alot going on now, and I'll never forget it. It makes me sing. Saturday morning is historic.

MrBrau1 said:
Saturday morning is historic.

yes it is!! while i was getting the songs, i had to check the date (November 6, 2004) just so that i could remember it!

wow. after listening to this album a few times, i can really say that this is the third masterpiece. i mean, nothing will touch Joshua Tree, but this album ties Achtung Baby. I'm sure, considering the success of ATYCLB (an average U2 album, in my opinion), the amazing Elevation tour, and this whole new U2- media blitz that's supposed to get really big, that this album is going to sell alot. ALOT. I mean, you have a couple of rock n' roll songs (Vertigo, LaPoE, ABOY), you have the chill songs (One Step Closer, SYCMIOYO), and you have the just amazing songs (Miracle Drug, OoTS). If U2 releases their singles right, they could attract alot of different people with the songs from this album.

Also, there are no fillers! No skip-overs, either. I mean, I have to skip a song on AB, but I love this whole album!

I can't wait until this album gets HUGE. I can't wait for the tour! C'mon 2005!!!

discothequeLP said:

Also, there are no fillers! No skip-overs, either. I mean, I have to skip a song on AB, but I love this whole album!

I'm just curious--what song/which songs do you skip during Achtung Baby ? I can't help but wonder...

If you shout... said:

I'm just curious--what song/which songs do you skip during Achtung Baby ? I can't help but wonder...

i knew someone would ask...

I pretty much always have to skip over So Cruel. Wild Horses, I can listen to because of the snippet they did at the end of Bad during the Elevation tour.

Sleep Over Jack said:
"So Cruel" is fantastic..I'll never understand why even the hardcore fans underrate it on this forum!

I think that you really need to be in the right mood to appreciate that song. Most of the time, I find it boring and skip over it, but occasionally, at some points in time ... it's the only song I could possibly want to hear.

It'll be a worldwide smash as expected. It will be interesting to see what all the singles are.

I dont think Vertigo has quite taken off the way Beautiful Day did when it emerged.

I expect to be as big as ATYCLB but it wont eclipse it. The tour is where it will slaughter Elevation in terms of sales.

bonosleftone said:
I dont think Vertigo has quite taken off the way Beautiful Day did when it emerged.

It's currently doing a whole lot better than Beautiful Day. I think we're at the six week mark right now, and Vertigo is at 32. After six weeks, Beautiful Day's chart run was 75-73-71-68-69-61.

Axver said:

It's currently doing a whole lot better than Beautiful Day. I think we're at the six week mark right now, and Vertigo is at 32. After six weeks, Beautiful Day's chart run was 75-73-71-68-69-61.

Which charts though? What country?

I think this album will be biggins. I think it is a big improvement from ATYCLB and it's hard to improve upon a good album.

I hope people who liked U2 in the 80s or 90s and maybe put them on the back burner pick this album up to remind themselves of how great the band really is.

If Coldplay can sell and make a name in this atmosphere and with the whole retro/ new wave thing going on... I'd say it should do real well. Too many hooks in this album to ignore it and since the sound is defintely UF/ Joshua Tree-esque (America's favorite period), it should do well IMO.

Crosses fingers...

Last edited:
I dare say it’s as big as we are going to make it by spreading the gospel of U2 worldwide.

As Bono would say....Take it to church!

Axver said:

Is that the US charts? Wow. That's pretty shit.
It was # 1 in Australia, anyone know about the UK? I assume it was there as well.

The album will do roughly the same business as ATYCLB. It's not as radio friendly (this is a good thing considering what is).

i am sorry to say to you all but you are so imature (even stupids)
i do not care if the album sell a lot or not if people like it or not if critic make good reviews or not. i just care i love it, it's brilliant, it's my album, just mine and less people like it more mine it will be. i hope that just a few people like it, i think that is the mark of a true classic u2, because they are about crossing frontiers and in a world so mainstream, i do not want that who likes madona, britney,and the stupid e weak english scene, likes this masterpiece. you all have to grow as a person and as a true music lover.

OK, full day of absorbtion and some thoughts...

1st, it's ok to download and open your presents early as long as you appreciate them. I knew I was getting a mini-bike when I was 13, but I knew it was a stretch for my old man to get it for me. My appreciation for what he did was not displaced by appreciating it early. As a Dad, that appreciation grows every day.

I appreciate the concern that we are hurting the pockets of others and if t was a realistic one, i'd be concerned too. There is not one person that won't be buying this cd/album/dvd that is viewing this site. I will be getting all three and every single and will attend at least 2 shows.

2nd Yes, it is IMO the best of not only 2004, perhaps this decade.
I'm not sure if it will pass my feelings about ATYCLB...ask me in a year. Current list as a Fan since 1980:
1. ATYCLB
2. AB
3. HTDAAB
4. War
ATYCLB is special musically, but for many ...spiritually. I can't imagine a piece of art more suitable for the time the world was going through. From NY, to Walk On to Peace on Earth...never mind that the album cover and artwork was all about Air travel~

3. Fav song, SYCMIOYO...so far. ABOY is really fun and Vertigo is already in the top 25...for me~ I also like AMAAW, was Ali the girl next door do you suppose...I love when there is a "brown eyed girl" reference.
Miracle Drug might be the biggest radio hit.
More thoughts to come...

Having heard the album now, I don't think it will be anywhere near as big as ATYCLB. It may have a big opening week and do well through the holidays. But to get to the enormous 4x Platinum levels that ATYCLB, HTDAAB needs some enormous hits - the type that hit the top 10. I'm not hearing any.

So in terms of sales, it will fall well short of ATYCLB.

joaoricardo said:
i am sorry to say to you all but you are so imature (even stupids)
i do not care if the album sell a lot or not if people like it or not if critic make good reviews or not. i just care i love it, it's brilliant, it's my album, just mine and less people like it more mine it will be. i hope that just a few people like it, i think that is the mark of a true classic u2, because they are about crossing frontiers and in a world so mainstream, i do not want that who likes madona, britney,and the stupid e weak english scene, likes this masterpiece. you all have to grow as a person and as a true music lover.

has anyone else seen this post in like 232 other threads or did I really drink that much last night?

It's not as radio friendly (this is a good thing considering what is).

I think it is. :shrug:

i am sorry to say to you all but you are so imature (even stupids) i do not care if the album sell a lot or not if people like it or not if critic make good reviews or not. i just care i love it, it's brilliant, it's my album, just mine and less people like it more mine it will be. i hope that just a few people like it, i think that is the mark of a true classic u2, because they are about crossing frontiers and in a world so mainstream, i do not want that who likes madona, britney,and the stupid e weak english scene, likes this masterpiece. you all have to grow as a person and as a true music lover.

:huh:

Its so good it will be radio friendly. Much like Achtung Baby has got more radio friendly over time when people were finally willing to listen to it objectively.

Back
Top Bottom