Heart or Tip?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hallelujah Here She Comes

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I've been mulling this over for the past few days, but I can't decide whether to try to get into the heart or to shoot for the tip for the St. Louis show. I've been in the heart twice, so it would be nice to get a different perspective but I *really* like being in the heart. Who here has done both or just has really strong feelings about either spot? Any advice?

------------------
"I buy socks."
-Adam, when asked what he does with the money he would have spent on drink.

"The babes, the feast, and the toga conspire to give Adam the bearing of a Caesar (one of the late, inbred, lunatic Caesars, perhaps, but a Caesar nonetheless.)"
-Bill Flanagan, at an after-concert soiree with the band and Co.

"If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane."
-Adam, The Simpsons

hmmm...tough decision. If you want to be closer to Bono and to get great pictures of him...go for the tip. Also, go there if you have any delusions of grandeur
wink.gif
cuz for the most part people get pulled up from there, not from inside the heart. Me, I think I prefer the heart overall for sheer energy and immersion into the Elevation experience. I felt a bit more like an observer on the tip and more like a participant in the heart. So that's my opinion.
smile.gif
Either way, I'm sure it will be a rockin' show. Cheers.

-sula

------------------
~I want to play the guitar very badly, and I do play the guitar very badly - Bono~

Take a virtual tour of U2's Dublin... Crzy4Bono's U2 page with some of Sula's Dublin pic's

If you've already been in the heart twice, go for the tip.

I was in the heart in Vegas and to the right of the tip in Oakland.. and I must say, Bono was alot closer to me in Oakland and I got some great shots.. better view too.

------------------
Holy Dunc Spacejunk Coming In For The Splash

Sicy's Website

Photo Albums

I did both...and I prefer the tip for a couple of reasons. First, I could "take in" the entire show, including the video screens and videowall (especially moving during "ONE" on this leg, when the terrorist victims names are scrolled on the videowall behind the band) and two, because Bono seems to be spending more time at the tip this go around. When I saw them in Providence, I'd say Bono was out on the heart about 60-65% of the time (which meant he was in front of me for over half the show!).

Anyways, I enjoyed the heart and the energy in it...but the tip is very energetic as well and allows you more opportunity to interact with Bono and take in the "whole" show, without having to twist your neck to see what is going on behind you. And, you really should experience the show from a different perspective in my opinion. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Um....heart is the best. If you swe my pictures, then you see heart is he best no matter what. You get the best view, best pictures, more excitement from the heart. It's rockin'.

Yes, the heart was indeed rockin... but I kinda got tired of having to turn my head to follow Bono, to look for Bono, to decide, hmm do I want to look at the band or Bono..

From the tip you can see everything.. perfectly.

Well, if you don't care to crane your neck around to follow Bono, just take the opportunity to soak up some quality time with those other guys in the band known as The Edge, Adam, and Larry. Some of my favorite moments being in the front of the heart was ignoring Sir Bono's wanderings on the catwalk and catching some of the fun moments between the rhythm section or watching Edge nail a great solo.
smile.gif
There are pros and cons to both spots.

-sula

You all bring up excellent points. Right now I think I'm leaning towards the heart because, after nearly getting it on the second night in Chicago, I am on a quest to get my hands on Larry's drumstick (get your minds out of the gutter, ladies
icon39.gif
) and I can't very well get it if I'm at the tip. On the other hand, I don't want to base my whole concert experience on something that will happen in the last 30 seconds of the show. And I *did* promise myself after my last concert that if I went to another one, I'd go for the tip. Blargh. Still can't decide.

------------------
"I buy socks."

"The babes, the feast, and the toga conspire to give Adam the bearing of a Caesar (one of the late, inbred, lunatic Caesars, perhaps, but a Caesar nonetheless.)"

-Adam, The Simpsons

The tip is good IF you get a good spot around the rail. That is VERY hard to do, because some of the early people choose that spot. If you don't get the rail you are in for the squishing of your life. Sometimes even if you have it you are crushed as the crowd surges when Bono approaches. In the heart there is more room and you are free to come and go. That is difficult if not impossible at the tip. Consider this: you are let in around 6. To ensure your spot at the tip, you must STAY THERE standing up the entire time, until U2 takes the stage at 8:50 or so. Leaving or moving for any reason risks your loss of the spot. It's a big chance. Some get them back and some don't. In the heart, the wristband allows you to come and go as you please, and there is always more room to move, even sit down and relax while waiting. Also, it's cool at the tip for the bullfight and when Bono comes by and when they do the acoustic numbers, but most of the show is on the stage and it is harder to see from the tip. I have been in all the following situations: at the tip, rail. At the tip, no rail. In the heart. (Not to mention in the stands.) The heart is the most relaxed and enjoyable. The tip is very exciting but you are taking a chance with no guarantee of payoff and you will be more uncomfortable.

The heart is the best!
biggrin.gif
I was near the tip once and it was ok, but too much pushing and shoving and ACK!I dunno! I LOVE being inside the heart especially in the first row! That is the best seat in the house! (IMO
biggrin.gif
) Sure you can't follow Bono around or Edge for that matter, but you get to see first hand the hard working drumming of Larry hehehe and Adam playing the bass! Plus I was able to interact with Adam throught out the show from the heart..ADAM ROCKS! LOL And oh yeah I just kept staring at Larry when I couldn't see Bono! You do get to make eye contact with him as well! But just being near the action where the whole playing takes place is AWESOME!! The energy of being inside is amazing!! Oh yeah I got pretty good shots too!
wink.gif
But most importantly I got Larry's stick from being in the first row of the heart and got to touch him!
icon35.gif
LOL

------------------
I know someday you'll have a beautiful life.
I know you'll be a star in somebody else's sky
but why, why, why can't it be, oh, can't it be mine?

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

[This message has been edited by SweetOnU2 (edited 11-26-2001).]

It depends on what you want to do:

Heart:

• You can move freely, jump all around, and dance
  • You can see the amazing interaction between the 4 of them. It's not all about Bono !
    wink.gif
  • Adam is really friendly and cool and loves to wink at the girls. lol
  • Nothing beats it when you're near the stage and they start playing Elevation !
  • You still have some chance of being kissed/bitten/pulled up/ or have your hand held by Bono if you are alongside the rail in the heart

Tip:
  • You have the most amazing view of the bullfight !
  • You have a chance to touch Bono
  • You have better chances of being bitten/kissed/pulled up by Bono
  • But the worst thing is you cannot move at ALL ! You are squeezed like a sardine.

I've noticed that Bono doesn't go to the tip a lot during the third leg. He used to go into it much more during the first leg.

------------------
She had heaven
And she held on so tight

http://community.webshots.com/user/leyloo20

Originally posted by Naya:
It depends on what you want to do:

Heart:

[*] You can see the amazing interaction between the 4 of them. It's not all about Bono !
wink.gif

YES! It was amazing when I was saw them so close!

[*] Adam is really friendly and cool and loves to wink at the girls. lol

LMAO YES! That is sooooo true! He kept doing that a lot to us! hehehe And he LOVES to smile a lot! He's sooo cute!

[*] Nothing beats it when you're near the stage and they start playing Elevation !

YES!! Its awesome and if your in the first row my gawd you get to feel the whole bass so much more all over your body! LOL It was cool!

------------------
I know someday you'll have a beautiful life.
I know you'll be a star in somebody else's sky
but why, why, why can't it be, oh, can't it be mine?

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Was wondering what the people in Vegas thought because from GC seats it sure looked crowded. Far more people in the heart and outside than the other venues. Something not mentioned is how Bono stayed on the stage with the guys much more in Vegas than the previous shows. In other words, it looked like those outside the heart were not seeing Bono all that much as those in the heart.

Here is the solution I came up with for not straining your neck in the heart, getting to see Bono super close AND taking in the entire show. Get a spot inside the heart on the rail about mid way down the heart ramp on Edge's side, make sure you get on one of the metal grates as this will give you an extra inch or two to see over anyone who may stand in front of you. When Bono is out at the tip you simply turn your back to the rail and you can pretty much take in the main stage and the tip without straining at all. Not to mention when Bono does walk down the ramp you are about a foot away. I think this is the best spot to take in the whole show.

But I actually thought the best spot in the heart was dead center. I was close to the band wherever they were and if someone was annoying or taller than me I just took two steps over and I could see fine and they weren't bothering me anymore.

I agree with sulawesigirl4, some of the best moments are watching the band perform while everyone else is focused on Bono on at the tip. Watching Edge kick ass on guitar is just as good IMO.

Bottom line I think the heart is the best overall as you can see everything up close, no pushing and you can relax somewhat prior to the show.

The tip was best on the first leg. You could see the screens and the band and you could get touching close to Bono and Edge. Plus, the tip was where Bono pulled fans from the audience.
The current leg is different. Bono isn't dancing with the girls as much so there goes that advantage. At the Oakland show Bono pulled a little girl (8 or so) from the side of the heart, not the tip. Also Bono is spending far more time on the main stage, thus negating that advantage to some degree. (You still get UTEOTW and the acoustic segment at the tip.) If that isn't enough, Larry and Adam don't come to the tip of the heart anymore because the band aren't doing the introductions on this leg.
I say hit the heart.

MAP

Since you've been in the heart twice, I'd recommend going to the tip. If this was your first show I'd recommend the heart, but being at the tip does offer a better perspective of the show as a whole. If you're interested in getting some Bono-love you should definitely go to the tip because that's where he interacts with the crowd the most. It's also nice when they play the acoustic set at the tip because you get to see all 4 of them very close up, much closer than if you were in the heart.

It's really a matter of personal preference, but since you've been in the heart twice I'd recommend that you go to the tip.

Edited to add that at the 3rd leg show I was at (2nd Chicago), all 4 of them came to tip of the heart for the acoustic set. I don't know if that was an exception, but I thought I'd clarify that after reading Matthew's post.

[This message has been edited by Giant Lemon (edited 11-26-2001).]

HEART! I made 4 times for 4 shows, and it is worth all the waiting! The key is getting the best place once in it. Usually you can move around, but last night it was especially crowded (i would guess 400) so we couldn't move as much.

Only because no one has mentioned it so far-if you don't want to be CRUSHED, I'd avoid the tip at all costs.

Maybe it was just Vegas-but I was at the tip there, and left for dear life after 3 songs to go into the heart-luckily I had gotten a heart wristband. People were OK for 2 songs-but then they all pushed forward and STAYED there, and it was horrible.I've never felt that crushed and suffocated in my whole life. Maybe it's different sometimes-but that was my one and only time at the tip-after 2 other times in the heart-and I would never do it again.

And I agree with Sula-even inside the heart, while most people were looking at Bono, I REALLY enjoyed watching the other guys.

------------------
If you are really good friends with The Edge, you can just call him The~ Adam

The right side of my brain is kinda redundant~ Larry

I only saved the tip for the last concert I saw and I regretted having gone to the heart the other times!
As many people have mentionned, you get the full effect of the show from the tip - you can only focus on one thing at a time in the heart.

If you want to avoid being crushed, try to go right up against the railing - I had no problems whatsoever being there, no one can get past you so there isn't any pushing...

Originally posted by Naya:
Adam is really friendly and cool and loves to wink at the girls. lol

Ha! So very true! I was on the rail on Sparky's side in Chicago and he was so very entertaining. I think I'm going to shoot for Edge's side on the rail this time around. I'm getting in line at about 10pm tonight, so I should be able to get a good spot. Thanks for your thoughts everyone!!

------------------
"I buy socks."

-Adam, The Simpsons

Back
Top Bottom