Has anyone ever been to the Clarence Hotel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When my friends and I went to Dublin, we went to The Kitchen, which is the club downstairs that U2 owned at the time (I don't think they do anymore). The design was pretty cool - one of the coolest looking clubs I've ever been in. My friends stayed on the dance floor pretty much, while I went walking around the whole place, hoping to run into one of the guys. No luck though. :rolleyes: However, the other Irish men in attendance that night were :drool:

I was there in October. We had lunch at the Octagon Bar. It was expensive, but very worth it. It was very elegant inside, but not so much that you didn't feel comfortable. I know it costs alot to actually stay at the hotel, but for a meal it was definitely worth a visit. I really recommend it. :up:

I stayed there for a week in October 2002. Great service, great food. I would definately go back there if I ever make it back to Dublin.

I spent about 5 hours there with my best mate, a fellow U2 tragic.
we both had quite a few drinks while talkin to the barman who had lived in Brisbane for a few years...we are both from near Brisbane.

That was back in mid 2003.... The Kitchen had been closed for at least 6 months.

Last edited:
discothequeLP said:
i hear its real pricey. . . but then all of europe is too

I think it's not pricey because it's Europe. I think it's pricey because U2 owns it.

Cheers,

J

never been to the kitchen - been closed for a few years now although when i was in dublin in october they were doing some work inside it - dont know what though.

every time i got to dublin though(a few times a year if i'm lucky) i spend about 4 hours a day in the Octagon bar (the real one, not our virtual one)
by far my favourite bar in Dublin to chill in. the bar staff i find really friendly as well, contrary to a lot of peoples opinion - they let us spend a whole sunday there once just sitting on the leather chairs by the fire playing poker (and drinking ourselves blind of course)

Just curious.. Do some of you visit Ireland because of U2, or just out of normal tourist interests ?

yimou said:
Just curious.. Do some of you visit Ireland because of U2, or just out of normal tourist interests ?

I went because my mom wanted to go, and I wasn't about to say no! We spent a week in Ireland, started on the west coast and worked our way east, ending in Dublin.

And yes, part of the reason I went was for U2-related reasons. But I would have gone anyway. :)

I stayed at The Clarence in 2003. I got a special package deal rate and that was 300 euros per night, plus a four course dinner in The Tea Room and breakfast in the morning. The US dollar was not as high at that time, so the 300 euros were about $350. I'd say the hotel is very posh, but not too. The maid came in and set our breakfast in the room. The best part of the whole thing is The Tea Room. Fabulous food, great wine list. Probably the best food I've eaten in Europe out of the three times I've been there. The Octogon is a great bar and it really is a great place to decompress after a day in busy Dublin. I will definately stay at The Clarence every time I'm in Dublin.

And unfortunately, I'd have to agree that the price does reflect the owners. There are other, more posh hotels in Dublin that are not quite as pricey as The Clarence. And in better parts of town as well.

I always walk through it when I'm in Dubiln i.e. I've been quite a few times (4 last year).

It's a cosy hotel, everytime I have been there has been nobody around and very quiet.

Aardvark747 said:
Im going to stay there for a few nites next week!! An xmas present from my dad!

Cant wait....:drool: :drool: :drool:

I'm sure it will be great Nick!!!

I'd love to visit Dublin again....

It's a cool place. Very modern. The last time I was there I met Brendan Fraser in the lobby.

Should I have mentioned that?

yimou said:

To be honest, the "bug" to visit Ireland, bit me a long time ago, before I even knew who U2 were. I saw a t.v. commercial years ago, to visit Ireland, a "Cranberries" song was used for it, it showed places in Ireland. Looked like part of the commercial was filmed out of a plane or something, just seeing the beauty of it, but then at 12, you really don't imagine you'd actually visit another country thousands of miles away.

However the real push to visit Ireland, came from some members of the very first version of Zootopia (official fan site at u2.com) who were organising a fan get together in Dublin in 2002, and it sounded like fun.

I missed the fan gathering, but I later went on my own, in 2003, I'd say 5% of my time had anything to do with U2.

To the original question, I went to Ireland last year with my sister, we visited the Clarence, well we went in, looked around, asked for a brochure, and walked out. It looked very nice on the inside.

This time was about 10% U2 related, on account of visiting the Clarence, Windmill Lane studios, and shopping in record stores for U2 singles. I also visited Galway, must say, I really like the west side of Ireland. Connemara :drool:

thrillme said:

To be honest, the "bug" to visit Ireland, bit me a long time ago, before I even knew who U2 were. I saw a t.v. commercial years ago, to visit Ireland, a "Cranberries" song was used for it, it showed places in Ireland.

ditto. I don't know if you're in the UK or not, but the song they use on the advert over here is Chicane's Saltwater (the club song that samples the Harry's Game theme), and the imagery they use is spectacular. I think I first saw the advert when I was 9 or 10, and begged my Mum to take me to Dublin every year since.
I wasn't a U2 fan then, so au contraire to what alot of my friends believe, the attraction to Ireland doesn't lie in the fact that they come from there. To be honest, I don't have a huge interest in the various U2 sites around Dublin - I just enjoy the culture of the place.

Back
Top Bottom