Has a U2 album/song changed your life?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliveu2cm

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I'd have to undoubtably say yes.

What did it for me was Achtung Baby. I discovered this album at a point in my life when I felt alone and confused, a freshman in college, and I heard this voice in the middle of darkness, and he was saying things that I felt, and mourning what I was mourning, and holding onto my hand through it all. (He hasn't stopped doing that, by the way.)

I fell head-on into Achtung Baby, and then I just started exploring more and more and now, their music runs through my veins. I hope you know what I mean. I just wanted to celebrate some of their music, and how music (notably, U2's) can and has changed people's entire lives. (Wow, how powerful is that?!) :love:

:) ~Olive

:yes: Achtung Baby. 1997 was by far one of the best years of my life...and then 1998 came along and bit me in the ass. I don't want to get into it too much, but I'll just say that this album, and partically "One," helped me through one of the hardest times in my life.

The Joshua Tree. This was the first time I ever heard U2 so naturally it changed my life in the sense that here it is 15 years later and I'm as spellbound by their music as ever. But I think the impact may have gone even deeper than that. Not long after I started listening to U2, I went through a lot of changes. I became a lot less shy and much more adventerous as far as meeting people and exploring new ideas. I became more politically aware. I realized I wanted to become a writer. I'm not claiming that all came about because of U2 because there were other factors involved, but I always thought it was a strange coincidence.

I'm gonna have to say that Pop was a big influence on my life. As a young teen it was unlike anything I had ever heard before. "Please" totally amazed me and "Mofo" was sheer brilliance (still is in my opinion). I was in my early teens then and now I'm in my late teens but the album still holds so much truth to me. From the dance/party tunes to the rock/acid tunes all the way to the surrenderings near the end of the album. Still amazes me.

And no - this is not an attempt for another pro/anti Pop thread. If you'd like to know a specific song that really influenced me it would be "Gone". I always interpret "you can keep those suit of lights" as "I don't need this anymore so you can have it all." And now with the new mix released I have an even founder love of the song.

-[z]-

No, no U2 material has ever changed my life.

But Achtung Baby has been a real saver from time to time. I listen to it when I'm angry, when I'm sad, when I feel hopeless. It can really touch me and it's pulled me through some hard times. Achtung Baby save my soul.

On a general scale, not a single song or album, but my "fanship" if you will has been a gradual process and now I can look back and say I have a completely different/better view of the world and my future in it. So yes, as a whole, it has.

Achtung Baby was my salvation. I'd rather not say why because it's very personal, but it was bad enough to say that my life needed saving in many ways.

Definatly PoP, and more specifically wake up dead man. This song continues to change my life and help me get on with my life.

I have a question, Do you think it would be bad to play Wake up dead man at my funeral. I am that kind of person that wants their funeral planned out from the music to the people who say speechs to the food.

All That You Can't Leave Behind

I heard "Grace" and this led me to buy Philip Yancey's book " What's So Amazing About Grace?" and then I realized what makes the Christian faith unique from every other religion. It led me to a heightened spiritual awareness. I ended up buying Walk On: The Spiritual Journey Of U2 to learn more about U2's spirituality. I have applied that to my own spirituality. It helped me get a deeped understanding of my Christian faith and how to apply it to everyday life. So it literally changed the way I live my life.

Honorable mention goes to Achtung Baby's "So Cruel" which made me feel that I am not alone in feeling what happened, having lived through that experience myself. It's nice to know that a number of years before my own experience, there was already a song written about that. So it just hit a delicate spot but did not really change my life.

Cheers,

J

i'd say for me it was achtung baby. why? because it was the album that really made me a fan! i bought it like right when it first came out. it really sounded like nothing that was out at the time, at least to me. i was eight years old, and at the time, i was listening to mariah carey, new kids on the block, and other easy listening stuff. so it truely was a revelation for me, and got me interested in the rock world. :D

Yowza, that is a tough question to answer! I have been a fan for a long time close to 15 yrs.

I guess I would have to say Joshua Tree,even tho I discovered it in 1989. When I first came acrossed it I was to young to understand what it was about. To be honest I fell in love with Bono's voice!!!

There are to many stories and to many ways that U2's music has changed my life and so I wil just let you all know that it was Joshua Tree for me!!

:yes:

Back
Top Bottom