Get "mercy" Released

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Mercy is totally overrated!"

"No, Mercy is an amazing song!"

"You got chocolate in my peanut butter!"

"Well, you got peanut butter in my chocolate!"

corianderstem said:

"You got chocolate in my peanut butter!"

"Well, you got peanut butter in my chocolate!"

I'm Officer Reeses. What happened here?

It will be released soon enough. If I had been producing the last record, it would have made it in some form. Same with Xanax and Wine, which I like better than Fast Cars. I think adding both of these would have Achtunged the Bomb and made it cooler.

I'm right about this, nevermind anyone else.

:tongue: Ach-toungue!

LyricalDrug said:

There are a lot of supporters here, but overall, it's still very underrated. The opening lyric is one of Bono's best ever.

How can it be under-rated here when half the members seem to consider it the musical equivalent of an orgasm? :huh:

Axver said:

How can it be under-rated here when half the members seem to consider it the musical equivalent of an orgasm? :huh:

Exactly. I'd even go as far as to say over half. Those of us who view Mercy as a moderately good track and nothing more are definitely in the minority. How it could be "underrated" is beyond me. :shrug:

Re: U2 not releasing the track because "a large portion of their fans already have the song"... The online U2 fan community comprises only a fraction of U2's fan base. There are millions of U2 fans out there who don't check up on U2 fansites quite as regularly as we do, and likely don't have the slightest clue that Mercy even exists. Would U2 deny those people a single song just because a handful of diehards have heard it? Probably not. And not even everyone in the online U2 fan community knows about Mercy... I mean, just look at the number of people here who haven't heard it yet. So to say that the band wouldn't consider releasing it because a very tiny portion of their fan base has heard it is exaggerating, I think.

GibsonGirl said:

Exactly. I'd even go as far as to say over half. Those of us who view Mercy as a moderately good track and nothing more are definitely in the minority. How it could be "underrated" is beyond me. :shrug:

Re: U2 not releasing the track because "a large portion of their fans already have the song"... The online U2 fan community comprises only a fraction of U2's fan base. There are millions of U2 fans out there who don't check up on U2 fansites quite as regularly as we do, and likely don't have the slightest clue that Mercy even exists. Would U2 deny those people a single song just because a handful of diehards have heard it? Probably not. And not even everyone in the online U2 fan community knows about Mercy... I mean, just look at the number of people here who haven't heard it yet. So to say that the band wouldn't consider releasing it because a very tiny portion of their fan base has heard it is exaggerating, I think.

That's a good point.

Another reason why I like Mercy, which may seem kind of strange, is because it hints of something beyond what they gave us on the Bomb. A taste of the future, perhaps. Not that it's the most brilliant song, but it's got a non-linear, organic feel that I think they should build on.

I don't know if this has been posted before, as I lack search capability...but it is interesting. It's found at http://www.thunderstruck.org/atomic.htm

"...It's now clear that one new song "Mercy," which Bono describes as "the best B-side you'll ever hear," was tossed from the album at a very late date, certainly after the book was completed. The lyrics for "Mercy," including the opening line of the song, "I was drinking some wine...and it turned to blood," are scripted around an image of Christ's battered face, painted blood red in an almost child-like style. One blue eye forms a Eucharistic host over a chalice that doubles as a bruise. The good news is that "Mercy," a sustained meditation of well over six minutes reminiscent of The Who in their Who's Next period, will be released to the public, eventually..."

Back
Top Bottom