Gays and Lesbians can now openly serve in the U.S millitary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorGonzo

War Child
....for the time being.....they will be discharged after the current conflict is over.

Apparently, the millitary will collapse if Gays and Lesbians are allowed to serve openly during peactime, but when we need cannon fodder, they're no problem at all!
rolleyes.gif

Another win for U.S hypocrisy.

link

[This message has been edited by DoctorGonzo (edited 09-19-2001).]

Eh...f*** the military.

Melon

------------------
How long must we sing this song?!

Originally posted by melon:
Eh...f*** the military.

Melon

Melon, please don't start that here. I may not agree with some of the policies, but I do take offense to comments like this. In fact gays proudly serve now without prejudice, albeit in silence.

For those of you who have not been there please understand the very nature of your duty does require you to be a well-oiled machine and some lifestyles or personal feelings just get in the way and are best left off the base.

I am all for gay or lesbians serving our military, and I have known some as well. My point is that work is work, and personal affairs should not get in the way of military duties. Especially considering the circumstances/ nature of the types of missions conducted.

I should point out that i was unable after 2 attempts to link to the article mentioned above, so i am only responding to the comments above based on my opinion and past experience.

z edge, do take no offense to what I have written, and I'm not speaking of specific servicemen or women, who have nothing to do with the interworkings of the military bureaucracy. They do what they are told, and they do it well.

As for the bastards at the top of the military, f*** them all. I think all the GLBT community should abandon the military completely. If they are not welcome at peace time, why should they join during wartime? Stick it to the bastards. I'm sorry. This is an issue that brings me considerable anger. Hypocrisy infuriates me.

Melon

------------------

For those having trouble getting the article in the link:

Gay, lesbian troops can serve openly -- for now
Pentagon suspends discharges during conflict

Christopher Heredia, Chronicle Staff Writer Wednesday, September 19, 2001

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the aftermath of last week's terrorist attacks, the Pentagon has issued an order suspending discharges -- including those of service members who disclose their homosexuality -- a spokesman for the Department of Defense said yesterday.

"First, gays and lesbians would be allowed to serve during any war, just as they do now, as long as they remain in compliance with the homosexual conduct policy," said Maj. James P. Cassella of the assistant secretary of defense for public affairs' office.

Cassella was referring to "don't ask, don't tell," the edict President Bill Clinton enacted in 1993 as a compromise to his campaign promise to lift the ban on gay men and lesbians in the military.

"Don't ask, don't tell" says gay men and lesbians may serve as long as they keep their sexual orientation private.

"(A) stop-loss (order) has been authorized," Cassella said. "However, consistent with past practices, administrative discharges (medical, hardship, suitability) could continue under stop loss. Commanders would be given enough latitude in this area to apply good judgment and balance the best interests of the service, the unit and the individual involved."

Cassella did not provide a date when the order was issued.

It's the second time in recent history that a stop-loss order has been issued. The last time was during the Persian Gulf War under President George Bush.

In light of President Bush's recent call for as many as 50,000 reservists nationwide, and the fact that the military is on heightened alert, the Servicemembers Legal Defense Network, an advocacy group for homosexual troops based in Washington, believes gay men and lesbians will be able to serve the nation in the event of a war against terrorism.

The network said, however, that those who choose to disclose they are gay might face discharge after the conflict is ended, as happened to gay troops after the Gulf War.

"The stop-loss order is an explicit acknowledgment by the Pentagon that gays and lesbians can serve their country, no question about that," Steve Ralls, spokesman for the network, said yesterday. "It also sends the unfortunate message that while there are (gay men and lesbians) who put themselves in harm's way, who risked their lives for the country, they can expect to be fired from their job" once the conflict is over.

Since the World Trade Center and Pentagon were attacked on Sept. 11, the network has been fielding many calls from gay men and lesbians who want to help the nation's military effort.

Georgetown University law Professor Chai Feldlum said she would be surprised if the military softens its stance against gay men and lesbians in the military. She said she doesn't anticipate the impending military response to terrorism to reach the scale of the Persian Gulf War.

"It doesn't appear there is going to be that large a need for bodies," Feldlum said. "I hope the policy does get lifted, but that's not going to happen for a number of years. It will require a change in society, after people realize the policy is antiquated."

Melon

------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom