Foo Fighters "Best Of You" U2/War Ripoff?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trevgreg

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I was reading Blender yesterday, and the recent issue had the top 100 songs of 2005. The Foo Fighters "Best Of You" came in at number 52. Anyways, Dave Grohl mentioned that the band almost didn't put the song on the album since he thought it sounded like, in his words, a "U2/War ripoff".

Considering that I love both bands, this got my attention. I know Grohl said he was fan of early U2 work, but for the life of me, I can't hear any 'War' or vaguely U2 work in the song, other than the fact a guitar is playing, haha. But the single's been pretty successful for the band, so I suppose it's a good thing it was added in the end.

Did anyone think this if they heard the song?

I dont hear any obvious similarities, but Grohl could have been talking about the drums, which do have a military style to them, but that doesnt make any sense becuase most of their songs have that heavy drum sound.

I'll have to listen to it again, maybe listen to War and then Best of You and see if there are any similarities.

But I mean where he says it was almost not on the album, its not really screaming out U2 or anything.

Have played "In Your Honor" so many times, and have never thought anything was very similar to U2 - with the exception of the drums slightly sounding like a military beat (not in Best of You, but elsewhere on the CD - kind of plays off of Sunday Bloody Sunday in the beginning)

Back
Top Bottom