First dance song at a wedding...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Meghan said:
Probably All I Want Is You would be most appropriate for a wedding.
I think i remember reading someone saying they played Beautiful Day at theirs.

All the promises we break? I don't think I would choose AIWIY for my wedding.

I'm a ballroom dancer, and I'm pretty sure U2 doesn't have very many songs you do anything to other than rocking back and forth, but Slow Dancing is one that you can dance to, and I think it would be a good choice. You could Viennese Waltz to it. Of course then it would be fast dancing.

Last edited:
Bono's Betty - In a little while - a great song for wedding!
Like this choise

My husband and I got married in August and he's a huge U2 fan!! The whole wedding party walked in to Beautiful Day (which was quite appropriate after 6 inches of rain in an hour, the rain cleared right when this song started playing!). We also used The Sweetest Thing for the cutting of the cake.
For our first dance we chose All I Want is You because that has been our song for years, and it was beautiful. We slowed danced and did a little bit of swing dancing towards the end with some spins and ended with a dip when the music slows . . . Everybody there loved it!! It's really a great song, because the lyrics talk about your whole life (from the cradle to grave) and that no matter what happens (when you fight or break a promise, etc.) you'll always want that person . . . Isn't that why you are marrying them after all? Plus, you know the song doesn't have any other meaning because Bono's said many times it's one of the few love songs they've done and he wrote if for Ali.

I fantasized All I Want is You for the dance, alas, we married at the last minute at the courthouse and did not have a conventional reception.
I agree, Drowning Man is good, too

lady luck said:
The first time

"I have a lover
a lover like no other...
[...]
shows me colours where there's none to see
gives me hope when I can't believe"

Lovely, don't you think?

Umm, I'd be wary of this song just like "One". Bono has said before that "The First Time" is a very dark song, about something so dark he can't even name it. And if you think about it, the person in the song has the best lover, the best brother, a "father" who gives him the keys to the "mansion", and the person in the song leaves it all because for the first time he feels love. So what is the "love"? What is this "love" that is more powerful than the love of your spouse, your brother and God in heaven?

Just something to think about.

Original of the Species might be a good one :), and "When the Stars Go Blue" with the Corrs, would be lovely too.

And I love the idea of walking down the Aisle to Miss Sarajevo. Such a great song with a wonderful message.

Maybe if you were having second thoughts "Stuck in a Moment" :lmao:

Just make sure it's lyrically appropriate for a wedding.

All I Want is You, Unchained Melody, Can't Help Falling..., and perhaps Sweetest Thing would all work well.

Beautiful Day is about having nothing, but still being able to see the beauty of the moment. Not exactly a wedding ditty.

'One' is incredibly inappropriate for a wedding. Edge has mentioned this even -- he says fans tell them they played it at their wedding, and he thinks, "haven't you listened to it?"

Hawkmoon 269 is a song of desperation, so it's also inappropriate. "Like a sheet stain! Like nicotine! I need your love!" is wayyyy too over-the-top for a wedding.

If it were up to me, I'd choose "Wild Honey." Bono wrote it for his wife, and it's about the timelessness of their love. Perfect for a wedding. Plus it's upbeat, happy, dance-able, but not overbearing.

"In a Little While" would work well, too.

LyricalDrug said:
Just make sure it's lyrically appropriate for a wedding.

All I Want is You, Unchained Melody, Can't Help Falling..., and perhaps Sweetest Thing would all work well.

Beautiful Day is about having nothing, but still being able to see the beauty of the moment. Not exactly a wedding ditty.

Actually, I can't see "All I Want is You" at a wedding, just because of the line "and all the promises we break . . ."
Not because I'm a fool or an idealist, but I just don't want to have broken promises as a partial theme the day I'm making one, ha ha.

Also, I can't really see "Unchained Melody" because it seems to be about someone who fears he/she is losing someone else, partially due to distance between them. ". . . and time can do so much, are you still mine?"

Now, Beautiful Day, on the other hand, is a song that many people DO misunderstand, yes . . . but i was thinking that it works PERFECTLY with the theme of a wedding. The "through thick and thin" theme, so often captured with "for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health." Like, in the good times and the bad . . . it will be a beautiful day between us, because we will still have JOY in it all, good and bad. That's what BD is about, anyway.

Just my .02 . . . keep the change. :)

I had All I Want Is You for the first dance. We had Beautiful Day at the end of the wedding ceremony - go married in a park. We also had other U2 songs though out the whole day - cannot remember all of them at the moment -it was 4 years ago.

Meghan said:
Probably All I Want Is You would be most appropriate for a wedding.
I think i remember reading someone saying they played Beautiful Day at theirs.
yeah my friend's friend walked down the aisle to "beautiful day". don't know what they danced to, though.
personally, i LOOOOVE u2's cover of Unchained melody. it's beaaautiful <3

got2k9s said:
ROFLOL!!!!!

Maybe we could start a NEW thread titled "Songs NOT to have at your wedding!"

How about "Until the End of the World" - - ha ha ha!!!

I'd think "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" would be the worst :p

I've always thought "Stay (Faraway So Close)" would be a good wedding song though I think it's just a personal choice.

"Everlasting Love" would be a nice peppy song, while "Slow Dancing" (the version with Willie Nelson) would be nice for the activity in said title.

adrobw said:
I've always thought "Stay (Faraway So Close)" would be a good wedding song though I think it's just a personal choice.

Being that the person in that song is being abused, it doesn't really sing wedding day to me.

I had All I want is You as my wedding song... it was very beautiful... I'm always puzzled when people want to have "One" as their wedding song... especially if they're a U2 fan... makes no sense at all... i think there's a quote by Bono about it... how he doesn't get it either...

Bono's Doll said:
I always thought Drowning Man would be the best song at a wedding--I'll Cross the Sky for Your Love--For I have promised--you all know the words. Beautiful.

We played this at our wedding reception way back in 91. "Take my hand, you know I'll be there if you can I'll cross the sky for your love...give you what I hold dear."

So perfect.... We also played U2's cover of Unchained Melody.

Well my wife and I doubted much about the song choise,

Original of the species was an option, In a little while (live from boston) was an option, but finally we chose "Sometimes you can't make it on your own" the unplugged version that came with the HTDAAB DVD.

clifedge said:

All the promises we break? I don't think I would choose AIWIY for my wedding.

I'm a ballroom dancer, and I'm pretty sure U2 doesn't have very many songs you do anything to other than rocking back and forth, but Slow Dancing is one that you can dance to, and I think it would be a good choice. You could Viennese Waltz to it. Of course then it would be fast dancing.

I love Slow dancing :love:

However...

"My love is cruel, as the night.
She steals the sun and shuts out the light,
all of my colours they turn to blue, when I'm with you.."

I'd probably lean towards some of the other suggestions made- Stars Go Blue, Unchanined Melody :love: and the like.

I lent my "Everlasting Love" single for a friend's wedding. Unfortunately they were later divorced... But it's certainly suitable.
A good song I heard at a wedding lately was "She's So High" by Tal Bachman - worked perfectly.

jonnytakeawalk said:
What about luminous times (hold on to love)?!

Perfect line here:

'I love you 'cause I need to
Not because I need you
I love you 'cause I understand
That God has given me your hand
He holds me in a tiny fist
And still I need your kiss.'

Those lines from Luminous Times always make me think of my one year old son. :|

I agree with Everlasting Love...though U2's version is nice, its not the best, but i would still say it would be cool for a wedding

i still have quite awhile before ill get married :ohmy:

I'm thinking about my wedding songs now. (i'm not engaged YET, but have a feeling its on the way!!)

i ADORE OOTS and feel that i will probably have that one as my boyf who isnt a massive u2 fan loves that song.

I also love In a little while, but some of the lyrics don't mean what i want! lol

hmmmm it is tricky!

We had In a Little While. The lyrics where perfect for us. I knew I wanted it for our wedding song the first time I heard it.

We also had "stars go blue" during a slide show and "sweet baby" by Macy Grey.

It is hard to decide but once you do you will be so sure about it. if that makes any sense.

First of all, I would choose LOVE RESCUE ME, MY ALL-ALL TIME FAVOURITE U2- song, in fact it's the GREATEST SONG I ' VE eVER HEARD!!! (I think, nobody mentioned it before...) I love it soooo much!!.....during changing and pulling on wedding rings....
Then I would dance to All I Want Is You, The Sweetest Thing, and of course: HAWKMOON 269(!), and u2 cover of Unchained Melody and Stand By Me.... :happy:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom