Does "selling out" include politics?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RocknRollKitty

Acrobat
It's no secret, yes, of course I'm her alter
I was dismayed last night on the news to hear "Beautiful Day" being played at a political rally for Kerry. If they don't want their songs associated with a car or some other product, why with a politician? Politicians are liars and crooks, and I really am sad to have such a cool, fun song as BD tainted by politics. I know they believe in mixing rock and roll and politics, and they work for causes, but if they want to maintain the purity of the song's meaning to the fans, which is why they didn't sell Streets to the car commerical I don't understand why they did this. Or do they even know?

I know, it's their song their business :blahblah: :blahblah: don't flame me. But any other thoughts on this?

speaking as a Bostonian...
Bands do not control whether a politician uses their music. Senator Kerry has been fond of using U2 throughout his presidential campaign, using Streets for his kickoff announcement in Boston. If U2 doesn't care for the use, I have no doubt they'll speak up.

You may or may not remember Fleetwood Mac getting a bit irritated with Bush pere for using 'Don't Stop' as they did not support him nor wish to be associated with him or his political aspirations.

(Edit: Too much blood in my caffeine stream, correction below, thank you)

Last edited:
I was at a Kerry rally here in Tampa and he played "Elevation" right before he took the stage during Coldplay's "Clocks." I kinda think it's the rally organizers who choose uplifting-sounding songs to get the crowd riled up after standing around for so long (even though I know it's to just get the crowd riled up, but also to use the messages in the songs)

RocknRollKitty said:
I thought it was Clinton who used it?

I stand corrected. Thank you.

This from the Miami Herald:
Politicians using music to rally support isn't new. Bill Clinton relied on Fleetwood Mac's Don't Stop to pump up crowds in 1992.

But musicians aren't always cooperative. When George W. Bush started playing Tom Petty's I Won't Back Down during his 2000 campaign, Petty's agent slapped the Bush campaign with a cease-and-desist order.

According to a Business Week magazine article, Petty's agent felt the use of the song gave the impression that Petty supported Bush.

wolfeden said:
According to a Business Week magazine article, Petty's agent felt the use of the song gave the impression that Petty supported Bush.

Same thing w/ Springsteen's "Born In The USA" and Ronald Raygun in 84.

Bono has his reasons for wanting to be friendly with any potential resident of the White House. If Kerry wins he'll want to come in and talk AIDS in Africa stuff. So, I doubt if they mind that he's using their songs. I'm not surprised he's using Coldplay either after what Chris Martin said at the Grammies.

That's really not a fair stereotype. I know plenty of people who voted for Reagan and Bush who are huge rock fans.

U2Kitten said:
That's really not a fair stereotype. I know plenty of people who voted for Reagan and Bush who are huge rock fans.

I do too. Some of them post at FYM. The guy who helped me get a ride to my first Elevation show in Atlanta is a registered Republican and a Bush supporter. We won't be voting for the same candidate in November, but hopefully we'll be in Atlanta next year for the show!

Last edited:
Bono found out one of the Rep. Senators he was trying to get to drop the debt was a huge Radiohead fan. :eeklaugh:

I hope you meet your friend in Atlanta Verte!

Last edited:
wolfeden said:
But musicians aren't always cooperative. When George W. Bush started playing Tom Petty's I Won't Back Down during his 2000 campaign, Petty's agent slapped the Bush campaign with a cease-and-desist order.

That made me happy when he did that. :yes: :D. :up: to Springsteen also. :).

Angela

I really hate when media and politicians relate U2 music with their ideas and campaigns and stuff... because U2 represents a lot of things I believe in , U2 is part of my identity and they have a particular identity by themselves. I think is unfair to relate U2 lyrics to a politician or a party, because it trivializes music using it for their own interest.

U2zoogirl said:
I really hate when media and politicians relate U2 music with their ideas and campaigns and stuff... because U2 represents a lot of things I believe in , U2 is part of my identity and they have a particular identity by themselves. I think is unfair to relate U2 lyrics to a politician or a party, because it trivializes music using it for their own interest.

I agree with you. I don't see the difference between making a song the "John Kerry/let's go get Bush" song or making it the Cadillac song or the allergy medicine song. It trivializes what the song means to fans. I can never hear "Don't Stop" again without thinking of Clinton. It's become a joke to everyone I know.

Whether or not it's a bad thing depends on whether or not you approve of the candidate. I'm sure if Bush were to use one of their songs most people would be having a fit. :lmao:

Vampira said:
Whether or not it's a bad thing depends on whether or not you approve of the candidate. I'm sure if Bush were to use one of their songs most people would be having a fit. :lmao:

Exactly. If Politician X (Reagan, Bush, Republican X) can use a song, Politician A (Clinton, Kerry, Democrat X) can too.

Come on people, stop using such broad generalities wen describing people/parties. Isn't that exactly what you often accuse other people of doing? Reeks of hypocrisy if you ask me. The stereotype of only old white guys in country clubs being Republicans should have died a long time ago.

I'll never be so PC that I won't make fun of Republicans and the "Christian" Right. I have many Republican friends, and I love them. I love busting their balls. And they love giving it right back.

Ft. Worth Frog said:
Come on people, stop using such broad generalities wen describing people/parties. Isn't that exactly what you often accuse other people of doing? Reeks of hypocrisy if you ask me. The stereotype of only old white guys in country clubs being Republicans should have died a long time ago.

That's true. Some of them are rich white gay men in their 30s.
(Log Cabin Republicans)

Back
Top Bottom