disappointed that U2 didn't attend Live Earth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BonoVoxSupastar said:

Hmm, not exactly.:eyebrow:

There is a question. Say, "does greenhouse gas cause global warming, and is said greenhouse gas caused significantly by man".

A person makes a statement to answer, but loads it with a sarcastic quip or an allusion to another argument entirely.

This leads the conversation off-track, and takes the responsibility of defending his/her own statement off of the one who made it.

If this isn't what you're referring to, then please tell me what you mean.

LemonMelon said:

There is a question. Say, "does greenhouse gas cause global warming, and is said greenhouse gas caused significantly by man".

A person makes a statement to answer, but loads it with a sarcastic quip or an allusion to another argument entirely.

This leads the conversation off-track, and takes the responsibility of defending his/her own statement off of the one who made it.

If this isn't what you're referring to, then please tell me what you mean.

Rachel came in and made a statement of faulty logic.

So I came in and asked her a question of equal faulty logic to prove a point, to show her how the logic of that question doesn't work. It had nothing to do with distraction or confrontation.

dr. zooeuss said:

Please provide us a link. Otherwise I'm inclined to agree that this is purely false. Channel 4... I don't know where you live nor which Channel 4 you're talking about...

Channel 4 is a UK TV channel with a reputation for airing controversial programmes. I didn't see the one in question about the global warming "swindle" but it received a helluva lot of criticism afterwards with many protests that it fabricated data and distorted facts. Some of the scientists who appeared on the programme later said that their comments were taken out of context.

As for U2 not playing at Live Earth I think it's telling that when it was originally announced, there were expectations that many of the really big names like U2, the Stones, Madonna, Coldplay,Oasis etc would play but in the end it was only Madonna who did so and she's since taken a load of criticism for having a huge carbon footprint from her luxury lifestyle. Makes you wonder if the others could see the writing on the wall ...

Hey, did I just let you know: I'm happy, that U2 didn't play the gig! And still: There are some people, who liked the event, others didn't. Some people wished U2 to play, others didn't. And: This boring and pointless thread only shows, that we desperately need real U2-infos regarding whatever...

dr. zooeuss said:

Please provide us a link. Otherwise I'm inclined to agree that this is purely false. Channel 4... I don't know where you live nor which Channel 4 you're talking about...

The UK, channel 4 is a UK channel. Just google "the big global warming swindle" theres plenty about it. Mostly trying to explain away everything that was put in the programme which is my argument. There is as much evidence for and against. One good thing though, apparently Live Earth had crap TV ratings. Good!

Also while Live Earth was being broadcast Jack Osbourne was being interviewed by Jonathan Ross (a well know UK TV presenter) and was asked "Do your family do a lot of recycling, Jack?" to which Jack Osbourne replied "Nope, I've heard that recycling doesn't do much good". Jonathan Ross had to quickly shut him up. Later on that evening Chris Rock was in the studio with Jonathan Ross and he was asked "Do you think these massive concert events help the cause there trying to support and do they do much good?" which Chris Rock replied with a big smile on his face "Yeah it will help save the earth like Live Aid helped wipe out world poverty!". Jonathan Ross had to move on swiftly! Made me laugh anyway.:wink:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

This statement is just purely false.

I doubt you'll find many who claim there is no global warming at all, now there is a small minority of scientists that believe human's have no cause in it, but they are a small minority.

I can't wait till there are vineyards in the UK with ALL the global warming going on. I mean take this summer here in the UK its been sweltering day after day! Today we had temperatures of 20c, fuc# I had to take my sweater off. Oh hang on no its not too hot this summer we are apparently having abnormal rainfall instead, which is again down to global warming. To me its just a typical british summer.....rain and a bit of sunshine. Nothing fuc#ing unusual about that in the UK. Yet if we get 2 weeks where it doesn't rain all the experts are saying yep global warming, the country is drying up and were all going to die. No wonder nobody wanted to watch a concert for this as I would probably think most people in this country are fuc#ing sick of hearing about "global warming!" and to see Pop stars preaching on stage about this very topic is just too much.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I doubt you'll find many who claim there is no global warming at all, now there is a small minority of scientists that believe human's have no cause in it, but they are a small minority.

Have the movies taught you nothing?

The scientist (and for that matter detective, computer analyst and government official) who is in the minority is always right.

rjhbonovox said:

I can't wait till there are vineyards in the UK with ALL the global warming going on. I mean take this summer here in the UK its been sweltering day after day! Today we had temperatures of 20c, fuc# I had to take my sweater off. Oh hang on no its not too hot this summer we are apparently having abnormal rainfall instead, which is again down to global warming. To me its just a typical british summer.....rain and a bit of sunshine. Nothing fuc#ing unusual about that in the UK. Yet if we get 2 weeks where it doesn't rain all the experts are saying yep global warming, the country is drying up and were all going to die. No wonder nobody wanted to watch a concert for this as I would probably think most people in this country are fuc#ing sick of hearing about "global warming!" and to see Pop stars preaching on stage about this very topic is just too much.

Drought in Australia is a result of global warming.

Floods in Australia are a result of global warming.

Someone's trying to have it both ways.

I personally dont think u2 should not play anymore of these shows. They will never top their Live Aid performance IMHO. I thought Live 8 wasnt even in the same ball park performance wise.
Live Earth was crap anyhoo, it didnt capture any sense of meaning to me. Flea's memory loss summed up the event for me

coolian2 said:

Drought in Australia is a result of global warming.

Floods in Australia are a result of global warming.

Someone's trying to have it both ways.

yes rain and drought are normal events but what global warming is
causing is larger and longer bursts of down pour and severe storms and longer hotter droughts

the way global warming works isn't to do with whether it is flooded or whether it is drought..it's the extremity.

It causes more downfall at specific times which is caused by the ocean temperature getting warmer which allows for it to evaporate more quickly and therefore allowing fiercer more dramatic storms. .

look at what happened in the hunter region a few weeks back, the worst storm in 40 years

I literally LOL at the thought that U2 did not perform at Live Earth because they do not want to come across as "hoggers".......do you really think bands give a shit if they are stealing limelight, if they believed in the message they would have played the gig.

The REAL reason *imho* is the fact that Bob Geldof has been reported to have stated that the "last thing the earth needs is a another Rock concert" Bob reckons sending a message that has been known for years by everyone and the amount of energy that was placed into these concerts green or not was wasted.......you would have to assume U2/Bono (being best buddies) share the same views.

As long as we drive cars, eat ourselves to death, and keep our homes cuddly and warm.......Global warming won't go away, i have to agree, throwing a rock concert is not going to raise anymore awareness that has already been pumped out, people may listen now, but we will quickly forget again!, especially when we are told to stop driving our cars , buying more expensive appliances and renewable energy that costs literally the frikkin' earth. It won't happen.

Last edited:
LuvandPeace1980 said:

look at what happened in the hunter region a few weeks back, the worst storm in 40 years

If i remember reports at the time it was a once in a 40 years storm. Apparently it happens every 40 years or so. The last one pushed the Sygna onto Stockton Beach, and one in 1955 caused devastating flooding in the Hunter region.

Its very convenient to pin every once-in-so-many year storms and weather patterns on global warming because the averages are suggesting that a once-in-so-many-year storm is due.

Yeah we had devasting floods back in 1921 but that was not attributed to global warming. We have just had floods again and nowhere near as bad but these are attributed to global warming. Go figure that one out!:wink:

fly so high! said:

As long as we drive cars, eat ourselves to death, and keep our homes cuddly and warm.......Global warming won't go away, i have to agree, throwing a rock concert is not going to raise anymore awareness that has already been pumped out, people may listen now, but we will quickly forget again!, especially when we are told to stop driving our cars , buying more expensive appliances and renewable energy that costs literally the frikkin' earth. It won't happen.

To an extent, I agree with you. But one thing is for sure is that this was all over the news. Whether it was advertising this event or just point out the flaws. Regardless, I've seen it getting people talking lately. I don't know if there is going to be any immediate change of thought/social policy/etc., but I think it is cool that people are discussing it. Even as debate. It alone I think is pretty cool. You're right though, the buzz will soon fade. But for now, I've seen more people discuss it since the concerts.

fly so high! said:
renewable energy that costs literally the frikkin' earth.

I'm not sure what you mean by that - high price? In the US, the cost of wind power is competitive with that of other commercial forms of energy.

Why are the "global warming is a fraud" people so very upset? If it isn't happening, why is there a problem? Why are you so upset? What is it costing you? Why not just watch and laugh later when you're proven correct?

And, did anybody read Blue Room's post. U2 isn't touring, which is a more likely reason they didn't play than any other of the semi-ridiculous reasons some have posted.

martha said:
Why are the "global warming is a fraud" people so very upset? If it isn't happening, why is there a problem? Why are you so upset? What is it costing you? Why not just watch and laugh later when you're proven correct?

We're allowed as much of a say as the people who believe in global warming?

I'm glad Bono didn't show up.
Listening to Madona's profanity laced tirade didn't seem to help the cause either.

The cause in itself is a joke, with more pressing matters at hand.

dbs

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Yeah, screw your grandchildren's earth!!! :rockon:

Yeah, all these "Live Earth" posers prevented our earth from being screwed – bollocks! Geldof nailed it: Not another rock concert, not another "charity thing". It doesn't help even a good cause at all, but on the contrary ...

ZOOTVTOURist said:

Yeah, all these "Live Earth" posers prevented our earth from being screwed – bollocks! Geldof nailed it: Not another rock concert, not another "charity thing". It doesn't help even a good cause at all, but on the contrary ...

Awareness is a powerful thing. Don't underestimate it...

ntalwar said:

That's flat out wrong.
This depends on the eye of the beholder. In the late 80ies unfortunately we've had every rock star/pop star jumping on the band waggon of a "good cause". It became a big marketing vehicle completly overshadowing the cause itself. Look at the strike back even U2 got for being that engaged – they had to hide themselves in ZOO TV & POPMART to fight the image of being the new apostles.
That's a situation, I regret a lot, because we need voices in music to speak to the world. But with credibility, with conviction. Only riding on the surface of humour doesn't make it, it is also often not appropriate at all. I was overwhelmed by "Band Aid", by "Live Aid" – even the new "Live 8" & the protest in Rostock had a kind of right moment being not only nostalgia, but a step forward.
"Awareness is a lot, a powerful thing"? It depends on what to be aware of. Now you have this thing called "Live Earth" being against the backdrop of scientists debating about our impact on climate change being bad/worse/worst. Against the backdrop of people diving into climate history and neglecting climate history. Because the truth is: We do live in a climate change – but not since yesterday, but since thousands of years now. The problem is, that our industrial progress worldwide (including everybody who wants to take the step from the Third to the First World as a role model) obvioulsy enforces the negative aspects of climate change. That seems to be a fact, serious scientists and medio do report since decades now. And now? We do have a hopefully sincere guy, but tragically shattered politician like Al Gore ("the could have been president") organizing a world wide even, where pop stars talk about "jump, when you want to save the world", where banners on hi-tech-stages in front of people who do live in the industrial age (and enjoy all of its comforts including live broadcasts and travelling worldwide) talk about "save one light bulb, abd the world will be a better place"...
If you don't get my point here, you'll never get it – and dream on, but that wasn't "powerful awareness", that was a farce. It did no good to the important discussion about, what we really can and have to do now worldwide (including the USA & all of others joining the Kyoto papers). This "Live Earth" spectacle is reall a rock concert, we had not needed ...

Last edited:
ZOOTVTOURist said:

"Awareness is a lot, a powerful thing"? It depends on what to be aware of. Now you have this thing called "Live Earth" being against the backdrop of scientists debating about our impact on climate change being bad/worse/worst. Against the backdrop of people diving into climate history and neglecting climate history. Because the truth is: We do live in a climate change – but not since yesterday, but since thousands of years now. The problem is, that our industrial progress worldwide (including everybody who wants to take the step from the Third to the First World as a role model) obvioulsy enforces the negative aspects of climate change. That seems to be a fact, serious scientists and medio do report since decades now. And now? We do have a hopefully sincere guy, but tragically shattered politician like Al Gore ("the could have been president") organizing a world wide even, where pop stars talk about "jump, when you want to save the world", where banners on hi-tech-stages in front of people who do live in the industrial age (and enjoy all of its comforts including live broadcasts and travelling worldwide) talk about "save one light bulb, abd the world will be a better place"...
If you don't get my point here, you'll never get it – and dream on, but that wasn't "powerful awareness", that was a farce. It did no good to the important discussion about, what we really can and have to do now worldwide (including the USA & all of others joining the Kyoto papers). This "Live Earth" spectacle is reall a rock concert, we had not needed ...

Live Earth didn't end with the concerts - go to their website for details on what the funds will be used for and for other good info.
Did you pick up on any of the educational messages - inflating tires properly, turning off monitors, and many other tips? Multiply those by several million and it adds up.

Regrading the "...since thousands of years now...", please watch "An Inconvenient Truth". The lines jump off the chart in the past few decades.
If Bono wants to make the One Campaign a viable political force (like the NRA), Al Gore has the right to try the same with climate change. This is only the beginning.

ntalwar said:

Live Earth didn't end with the concerts - go to their website for details on what the funds will be used for and for other good info.
Did you pick up on any of the educational messages - inflating tires properly, turning off monitors, and many other tips? Multiply those by several million and it adds up.

Regrading the "...since thousands of years now...", please watch "An Inconvenient Truth". The lines jump off the chart in the past few decades.
If Bono wants to make the One Campaign a viable political force (like the NRA), Al Gore has the right to try the same with climate change. This is only the beginning.
Sorry, but this is too one-sided, too ideological. And I do have a problem with people, who follow ideologies blindfolded. All I say is, that climate change is a serious matter, what no sober man doubts (but with "Live Earth" not being a help at all, but bein a farce). And I do not want to discuss with you, why I didn't like "Inconvenient Truth", why it didn't convince me. Just one thing: remember, that all these statistics, all these numbers are MAN MADE, they are INTERPRETED. Don't believe everything without reflection and just try to get a full picture . The other, also ideological side for critics against Gore's presentation & interpretation you find e.g. at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Inconvenient_Truth#Criticism

In the end it is always the same: Everybody believes, what he wants to believe. If you believe in "Live Earth" and the light bulbs fine ...

ZOOTVTOURist said:

Just one thing: remember, that all these statistics, all these numbers are MAN MADE, they are INTERPRETED. Don't believe everything without reflection and just try to get a full picture .

Fine - if you want to believe that Mount Kilimanjaro's and Antarctica's ice has been increasing (not decreasing), go ahead.

ntalwar said:
Fine - if you want to believe that Mount Kilimanjaro's and Antarctica's ice has been increasing (not decreasing), go ahead.
Amen, my dear "Live Earth" fanatic, you nailed it – and I'll want to read your protest thread, when the next U2 tour will include airplane travel, lighting, screens, etc. It is your duty to fight against it, carry on.
But I'm tired, you don't get the irony, you don't get my point – I'll have my sleep now and leave you in your Sherwood Forest of statistics & light bulbs to be saved. Dream on, follow your leaders, but watch the parking meters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom