Did U2 take it too far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great responses everyone. It's ok for us to disagree.

Just to clarify - I'm not looking for a re-make of JT or AB - or even the same sound(s) - what I was hoping for was something that would make me stand up and say "wow" - and I'm afraid it's just not going to happen.

The last 2 records have been very "safe".

That being said, I really like the falsetto chorus/chiming guitar in SYCMIOYO, the omnious bass in LAPOE "Fast Cars" and "Mercy" (which should have made the album over AMAAW, imo). These songs (the last 3 anyway) push the envelope a bit, which is what U2 used to be about.

I guess I'm just not ready for the easy-listening U2 that seems to be more the norm than not (Stuck, Kite, Wild Honey, COBL, AMAAW, OOTS)

One Tree Still said:
Great responses everyone. It's ok for us to disagree.

Just to clarify - I'm not looking for a re-make of JT or AB - or even the same sound(s) - what I was hoping for was something that would make me stand up and say "wow" - and I'm afraid it's just not going to happen.

The last 2 records have been very "safe".

That being said, I really like the falsetto chorus/chiming guitar in SYCMIOYO, the omnious bass in LAPOE "Fast Cars" and "Mercy" (which should have made the album over AMAAW, imo). These songs (the last 3 anyway) push the envelope a bit, which is what U2 used to be about.

I guess I'm just not ready for the easy-listening U2 that seems to be more the norm than not (Stuck, Kite, Wild Honey, COBL, AMAAW, OOTS)

I'm waiting for U2 to duet with Justin Timberlake. ANYTHING to get to the top of them damn charts!:wink:

As long as U2 keeps putting songs out there that move me, I will keep listening and buying their Cd's. Nobody said you have to love EVERYTHING they do, but to say they should have hung it up long ago is ludicrous. IMO of course.

rjhbonovox said:

I'm waiting for U2 to duet with Justin Timberlake. ANYTHING to get to the top of them damn charts!:wink:

When my other favorite band The Flaming Lips played a show with Justin Timberlake on bass I thought that was the coolest thing ever.

All comes down to too much naustalgia in the U2 fanbase of how they remember Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby sounding after the first listen...in reality I dont think that many were blown away by these albums at all after the first listen and the new material hasnt been out long enough to know if it will be classic or not.

Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby also got their legs under them live....which this album hasnt had a chance to do yet. All I have to say to people is wake up and smell the coffee U2 is still a great band that makes great music this is the year 2005 (almost), not 1991 or 1987.

Yahweh said:
Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby also got their legs under them live....which this album hasnt had a chance to do yet. All I have to say to people is wake up and smell the coffee U2 is still a great band that makes great music this is the year 2005 (almost), not 1991 or 1987.

Agreed, the music was great then and it is great now--that's what I ultimately care about :up:

Well, I jumped on U2 bandwagon with ATYCLB and it remains one of my favourites, so nostalgy hardly plays any part in my case. JT and AB, while great and significant albums, aren't really my "magic" U2 albums either.

And if anything it's during POP era that U2 started to lose their fanbase and "took things too far".

Last edited:
U2_Guy, Ponkine, rjh... c'mon guys, you're starting to sound like a broken record here.
I've been a huge REM fan since 1985. There have been times where I've liked them as much or more than U2. I haven't loved an album by them since Automatic for the People in 1993. I liked Monster and New Adventures. I tolerated Up. The last two albums bore me to tears.
But do you see me on murmurs bashing REM nonstop? No.
Do I begrudge the REM fans who love the last two albums? No.
Do I think I'm smarter or better than a fan who likes Leaving New York more than So. Central Rain? No.
Music is subjective. If 'High Speed Train' or 'You're in the Air' does it for someone than great for them.

I hate the negativity on this board of late. It's not nearly so bad as it was during Pop and PopMart but it still sucks.

U2_Guy said:

U2girl, if i see you typing my nick one more time in posts trying to bash me i'll get medievil on you.

That's a warning. You don't want me tracking you down, i promise that.

Quit calling my name. You don't see me typing about you.

:yawn:

Learn how to read.

U2 are a continually evolving entity (unlike The Rolling Stones who really are dinosaurs) and along the way they lose some old fans and gain many new ones. I went off them during Pop and Zooropa but came back to to them again for ATYCLB and HTDAAB.

I personally hope they will continue their journey for many years yet.

Back
Top Bottom