Cher Says She Has Her Own U2 Song - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2002, 09:22 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:41 AM
Cher Says She Has Her Own U2 Song

Newsday: Cher has her own 'U2 song'

March 4, 2002
Condensed from Newsday:

'Song for the Lonely' is one of those things. The uptempo beat goes straight for
the feet, while Cher's powerful vocals go straight for the heart. It takes a few
listens before the meaning behind the inspirational lyrics sinks in.

'I loved it immediately before it was even half over,' Cher says. 'All I could think
of was U2. I thought, 'Oh God, I've got my own U2 song.''

Has anyone heard this song?

Help all you secret Cher fans

Old 03-04-2002, 09:34 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:41 AM
I've heard it.. it's pretty sad in the wake of what inspired it -

The video is what I found the most alarming -it featured CGI re-building buildings and the like, and just seemed a little overdone and well, "too soon."

I'm not a fan of Cher - but I couldn't help but watch the video after hearing so much about the song.

Old 03-04-2002, 09:44 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Thanks Hello Angel

Here's the link for anyone who wants to see the video-or download the mp3
http://www.cher.com/

Is that rooftop part supposed to be like the Streets video? I swear, a guy in the crowd looked like Edge.

But her own U2 song-I don't know about that...
Old 03-04-2002, 11:21 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:41 PM
This may shock some of you, but I actually have a lot of respect for Cher.

I was old enough to have watched the "Sonny and Cher" variety hour. I remember the songs they did as a team. I remember Cher's solo career in the 70's (when she had a string of hits). I remember her solo career and Oscar-winning performances in the 80's. And while her career slipped a bit in the early/mid-90's, she rebounded nicely a few years ago.

Clearly Cher is a U2 fan. You just gotta give her some points for that! And while you may not like her covering of "I Still Haven't Found..." in concert, I give her credit for doing something that clearly goes against her typical type of song.

I've heard her recent song quite a bit, even though it has yet to chart on the Billboard Top 100.

I can understand Cher's view. "This is a Song..." is actually a semi-depressing song, but with an uplifting theme to it. U2 has often created these types of songs, including "Beautiful Day." There's a song about a man who loses it all, yet discovers the beauty in life.

Granted, Cher's music is more pop/dance-oriented than U2's, but her point stands regarding the lyrical theme of the song.

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 03-05-2002).]
Old 03-04-2002, 09:40 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:41 PM
Cher: Another fine-looking woman destroyed by plastic surgery gone horribly wrong.

------------------

She's a little lightheaded, so check on her in a few minutes -- my podiatrist, about me (again), 2-11-02
Old 03-04-2002, 09:53 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Cher said the other night when she was interviewed on 20/20/Primetime/whatever, that once Sonny was getting out of an elevator, just as Bono was getting on...he looked at Bono and said, "It's BONE-oh."

Lol...and the beat goes on...
Old 03-04-2002, 11:28 PM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:41 AM
Her new look with her blonde hair is fake. Plus she's had some more plastic surgery done to her.
Old 03-05-2002, 02:43 AM   #8
War Child

Cher's cool, I dont care about videos and havent seen this one yet, Cher makes catchy dance pop songs and it keeps her fan base happy.

Her very own U2 song? Hmm, they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

anyway, I am just happy that you did not literally mean U2 had written and recorded a song for her that she is keeping in her own personal vault! That would kill me!

Old 03-05-2002, 02:44 AM   #9
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 11:41 PM
Cher comes across as a very sweet person in her interviews and such, I will always give her that. I'm not her biggest fan as far as her music is concerned though.
Old 03-07-2002, 09:31 PM   #10
Babyface

I think Cher has committed the single greatest non-religious blasphemy in the entire history of the world. Oh wait. I forgot her version of "With Or Without You". Ok, 2nd greatest.

------------------
On borderland we run....
Old 03-07-2002, 11:35 PM   #11
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Borderland:
I think Cher has committed the single greatest non-religious blasphemy in the entire history of the world. Oh wait. I forgot her version of "With Or Without You". Ok, 2nd greatest.

Actually, that was I Still Havent Found What I'm Looking For.
Old 03-08-2002, 12:00 PM   #12
The Fly

Her new song does kinda sound like a U2 song - just not a very good one.

------------------
I miss the innocence I've known
Playin' KISS covers beautiful and stoned
Old 03-08-2002, 12:15 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho:
This may shock some of you, but I actually have a lot of respect for Cher.

I was old enough to have watched the "Sonny and Cher" variety hour. I remember the songs they did as a team. I remember Cher's solo career in the 70's (when she had a string of hits). I remember her solo career and Oscar-winning performances in the 80's. And while her career slipped a bit in the early/mid-90's, she rebounded nicely a few years ago.

Clearly Cher is a U2 fan. You just gotta give her some points for that! And while you may not like her covering of "I Still Haven't Found..." in concert, I give her credit for doing something that clearly goes against her typical type of song.

I've heard her recent song quite a bit, even though it has yet to chart on the Billboard Top 100.

I can understand Cher's view. "This is a Song..." is actually a semi-depressing song, but with an uplifting theme to it. U2 has often created these types of songs, including "Beautiful Day." There's a song about a man who loses it all, yet discovers the beauty in life.

Granted, Cher's music is more pop/dance-oriented than U2's, but her point stands regarding the lyrical theme of the song.

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 03-05-2002).]
I'm with you, doctorwho. C'mon, everybody, give Cher her props. She breaks all the rules and you gotta love that--I sure do.

Cher is somebody I think who would sit down and have a cup of coffee with you and skip the surface talk and dive right into the deep stuff. You gotta love that, too.

Plus, I met Chastity years ago backstage at an Edie Brickell concert (whatever happened to her?) and she was damn nice. Cher did a good job with her.
Old 03-08-2002, 12:30 PM   #14
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:41 AM
I like most of Cher's music that I've heard.

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."