Can't decide on dvds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
neutral said:

Wasn't the water toss in Boston?

The water toss was at Slane.

During the guitar solo for All I Want Is You, some guy throws a cup of water at Bono. Bono turns around and says "All I want is fuckin' you, man."

OnFire said:
Speedracer,

I wasn't asking about the Slane vs. Boston DVD but the Slane DVD vs. the Slane concert that aired on network tv (abc or cbs, can't remember).

That is of course, assuming you saw the tv show version which I'd imagine not many did. Thanks.

Whoops. Well, carry on then.

speedracer said:

The water toss was at Slane.

During the guitar solo for All I Want Is You, some guy throws a cup of water at Bono. Bono turns around and says "All I want is fuckin' you, man."

Oh right. I was thinking of a part in Boston I guess. Doesn't someone in the heart throw something at him as they start Sunday Bloody Sunday?

Well, guys! You're confusing me! lol. Oh well. I'll go with which ever is cheaper lol. Which I already looked at the price. They are both expensive, but Slane is cheaper. I'll get Boston whenever I can! I don't have money! My boyfriend is buying me Slane:tongue:
Thanx guys!

neutral said:

Oh right. I was thinking of a part in Boston I guess. Doesn't someone in the heart throw something at him as they start Sunday Bloody Sunday?

Yeah, you can see something go flying at Bono's head at the beginning of the song. Bono moves just in time and then flips the guy off lol.

Bono's voice is richer on the Boston DVD. However, he has more passion on the Slane DVD (there's this incredibly wail right as "Streets" start), even though his voice is more "airy" (due to the ravages of touring and possibly the loss of his father).

I found the Boston DVD far more professionally filmed. The Slane DVD has more of a "home-made" look to it. This is not to say it's poor in quality - just not as polished (which is logical as I do not believe U2 were initially going to officially release this concert).

The audience is vastly superior on Slane and the energy level is also higher. Unfortunately for U2, I think the third and fourth Boston shows were better than the ones they filmed. The latter shows had an even better set-list and excellent audience reactions. As it stands, the Slane show has a better audience.

The extras on Boston are better (lots of Easter eggs), as the Slane DVD simply contains "Mysterious Ways" (which is very good and should have been left on the DVD as part of the setlist) and the previously released "Making of UF".

Overall, if you are relatively new to U2 and/or want to get into the "passionate" side of them, I'd say Slane is better. If you are more interested in seeing higher quality filmed U2, with a vocally richer Bono, and a more diverse setlist, then the Boston DVD is for you.

I LOVE how his voice sounds on the Boston DVD. :cute: It sounds like he was getting over a cold or something, like when it would kind of "crack" on certain tracks, and it just sounded even better that way.

There really is no comparison. I've said it before and I'll say it again: The Slane DVD runs rings around the Boston one.

I find the Boston DVD too difficult to watch - the "cringe factor" is way too high (regarding the video production - not the band's performance).

The Slane DVD, on the other hand, is a wonderful piece of work. It's not quite perfect, but it's a million times better than Boston. [I've told you a million times - DO NOT EXAGGERATE!]

Bring on Zoo TV Live from Sydney! Now, that's AWESOME! :)

Last edited:
I got Slane! I love it! Man, I've never seen Edge perform now days(if you know what I mean) I've only seen him perform in rattle and hum. It showed Edge siging, and dang he really opens his mouth when he sings! My dad was like "You see how he is singin?" "That's how you guys should sing in your chior" cause we suck really bad lol. But Edge is so hott! It's a pretty cool dvd. I'm gettin Boston next hopefully! But that's an expensive little bugger! Oh well. I'm gonna watch it some more here in a minute! lol.

Last edited:
macphistosmagic said:

Yeah, you can see something go flying at Bono's head at the beginning of the song. Bono moves just in time and then flips the guy off lol.

Bono flips him off? It looks more like a "peace" sign.

Ah well, to each his own

Last edited:
I've only seen the parts of both shows on the TV programmes and to me, Boston was better because the setlist is better and it represents the tour better since it is shot in the arena.
I preferred his voice on Slane though.

Last edited:
The Slane DVD is like watching a really good bootleg. I like it more because it's pretty much RAW and straight forward, kind of like the Sydney ZooTV tape.

neutral said:
It's so touching that he cared enough about those people's deaths to memorize their names.
If you watch, it's pretty obvious he only remembered the first few names (he only says the given names) while he's walking on the heart then when he gets back to the stage he is reading the rest off a peice of paper stuck to the floor,

but i degress.

Each conset has its virtues, your missing out if you don't see 'the fly' from boston, i have that on my mp3 player all the time so i can listen to it, along with bad/40/streets. The other song that is unmissable from boston is 'until the end of the world' best version ever if you ask me. I am tempted to choose boston for these tracks (hahah and the end of gone...that was really cool) I don't really care that they spliced the thing to hell and back, it's completley unnoticable.

Slane has all the other tracks aswell, although the only one that i think really stands out is out of control and wake up dead man, the rest are pretty average for someone who likes his bootlegs.

Put it this way, my boston DVD has more scratches on it :)

they both have there good points...

i prefer the setlist on boston....slane is a very laid back exellent gig....but boston takes the cake for mine.

steak said:

If you watch, it's pretty obvious he only remembered the first few names (he only says the given names) while he's walking on the heart then when he gets back to the stage he is reading the rest off a peice of paper stuck to the floor,

Oh yeah, you're right. I can't believe I didn't notice. :eek: And I watch that at least once a week. :reject:

Wait a minute. I've only seen Slane so I don't know if rattle and hum is better than them combined lol. I'll just say it is lol.

Back
Top Bottom