boy vs war

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree. While Shadows And Tall Trees and The Ocean don't appeal to me a great deal, they're still good songs that I sometimes like listening to, but on War, The Refugee and Red Light are utter nonsense. Boy is my second-favourite U2 CD (sometimes it swaps with The Unforgettable Fire in fourth; Achtung Baby is a permanent third) and I don't skip any tracks, but I never play War. I adore the first five tracks, but when I get up to skip The Refugee, I reason that I might as well just skip to Surrender because I don't want to get up just a couple of minutes later after THBAO has finished to skip Red Light, but by skipping to Surrender, I've basically skipped to the end and there's no real point listening to it. I'm going to burn my own copy of War one of these days;

1. Sunday Bloody Sunday
2. Seconds
3. New Year's Day
4. Like A Song ...
5. Drowning Man
6. A Celebration
7. Trash, Trampoline, And The Party Girl
8. Two Hearts Beat As One
9. Surrender
10. 40

I might also put some b-sides in there ...

Oh, and I'm also going to burn my own copy of Boy with 11 O'clock Tick Tock either instead of or before Shadows And Tall Trees and Another Day ... somewhere.

My vote goes to WAR- Whilst I really like Boy, I dig war so much, it is after all my fave U2 album. I really like the rawness of Boy, however sometimes I feel as though I am listening to a different band, as U2 have come so far from that album, that it sounds like nothing like them, well in comparison to what they have done for the majority of their career. I guess as well that War has some special memories aswell for me, after going through a friend's entire back catalogue, after I discovered them via Rattle, War was the album that instantly got me in a big way, mainly because of Surrender and the version of SBS. And once again I am at a loss as to why Red light and refugee are so hated, I just dont get it, I think they are great songs, far better in my opinion than half the stuff on ATYCLB. Anyway War wins with me, its just a little better than Boy in my book, but then I am a very biased War lover:wink:

I love both but I have to go with War. But I do know some people who like Boy better.

I think Boy is a much better album but War has 2 of U2's greatest songs ever writen, but War as an overal album is not as good

I've often struggled with this question. It really comes down to what mood I'm in. Sometimes I'll go for a year without listening to War, but when I do I can't believe how good it is. Boy, though, has the most explosive energy out of all of U2's albums. There's something so naive, yet life affirming about it.

On a side note, anyone think 'Surrender' is possibly U2's most underrated song?

Michael Griffiths said:
I've often struggled with this question. It really comes down to what mood I'm in. Sometimes I'll go for a year without listening to War, On a side note, anyone think 'Surrender' is possibly U2's most underrated song?

Just revisited War yesterday, so I know what you mean. :yes:
and yes Surrender is underrated! Listened to it again when I got in tonight, which launched me into a Friday night DVD marathon. What can I say. :shrug: I'm hopelessly lost in U2.

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:

Not the most underrated song, but it's definitely overlooked way too much. Same goes for Seconds, Like A Song, and Drowning Man.

Michael Griffiths said:

shit yeah, I luuuuuuuuuuuuuurve this song so much and only two days ago I listened to War again, I probably havn't listened to it all the way through in at least a year, but I had to listen to Surrender a couple of times. I think it is very underated- it has great production, lyrics and the fade out of it with the ?h, oh, oh, ohs' gives it a very anthemic kind of feel. I think both Surrender and drowning man are the most over looked songs on this album, both of these would of (IMO) made better singles than 2 hearts beat as one:)

War is light years away from Boy. It's one of my favorite early U2
albums! Boy, October, and War are all classic albums. I like all 3.

Much like "Achtung Baby" Vs. "The Joshua Tree," I find "Boy" to be the better album (flows better, more consistent), but "War" to have the stronger suite of songs (ala "The Joshua Tree").

In any case, "Boy" and "Achtung Baby" are my favorites :yes:

^^ It's true! 5 stars!!

Back
Top Bottom