Bono Comments on Madonna Adoption

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Disciple

New Yorker
from www.atu2.com:

Bono Praises Mother Madonna

Sydney Morning Herald, November 05, 2006

Christine Sams

ROCK superstar Bono has backed Madonna's controversial adoption of a needy African child, saying "I think it's really great".

The U2 singer, who is also perhaps the best-known anti-poverty campaigner in the world, has praised Madonna and her husband Guy Richie for the adoption of David Banda, a child from Malawi.

"I'm very happy that Madonna should offer succour and more than that to a young boy," Bono said. "He's got a great opportunity now."

Bono, who is in Australia for U2's Vertigo tour, revealed he and his wife were once offered an African child by a father desperate for his son to have a better life, but they were unable to take him home. Bono said the child, whose face haunts him to this day, is the reason he began campaigning for African poverty relief.

"One of the most profound moments I've had, one of the reasons I think I'm doing what I'm doing, was because in the 1980s I was working with my wife Ali in an orphanage in northern Ethiopia," he said.

"On the last day, a man came to me with me with his son and offered his son to me, by saying 'if you don't take my son, he will surely die. If you take him, you can give him a great life'.

"I could tell this man loved his son, he was a very noble-looking man, and it was ripping his heart to say this. And I didn't, I did not take that [boy].

"It was not the rules of engagement in the camp we were working in, we couldn't do that. It's strange, because I can't remember the boy's name, but I think about him all the time.

"Oddly enough, when people ask me 'why are you doing that' [the activism, the campaigning], his face comes back."

Bono said he and Ali had an emotional moment in their Dublin kitchen a few weeks ago, when prints from their first-ever African trip (which were being used for a new book) revealed a photo of the boy.

"I didn't know I even had a photograph of him," said Bono, who was openly emotional about the discovery of the picture.

"So I'm very happy that Madonna should offer succour and more than that to a young boy. He's got a great opportunity now.

"There's so many children in the world - there's really enough to go around."

Madonna has come under fire for taking the Malawi boy back to Britain. But the singer said she had been astounded by the criticism.

The support from Bono, who has an in-depth knowledge of African health and social issues, is a much-needed endorsement for the singer's actions.

Bono, who is due to perform at U2's opening Australian concert in Brisbane on Tuesday night, also revealed the band was planning a new album. "I think a U2 album will not be that far away, I hope," he said. "We've hit the vein, I think."

The band will release a collection of singles, which includes two new tracks, on November 18.

Like many Australians - and horse enthusiasts across the world - the Irishman will be watching the Melbourne Cup on Tuesday.

"I don't think I can get to the Cup, because it's a show day, which is really, really annoying," said Bono, with a laugh.

"But I will be watching it - this is the best horse race in the world. I'll have the various horse whisperers on the phone from back home telling me how I can lose my money."

(c) Sydney Morning Herald, 2006.

I think its great that he supports Madonna, I figured he would. I really hope she is sincere in her actions and didn't jump on the celebrity bandwagon.

xaviMF22 said:
yay!! for Madonna's fashion accessory:|

you are so positive!!!!!!! :D

I bet going to one of the poorest countries in the world would make you feel like you're at Accessories Inc.

God forbid Madonna might have a human side

Hurrah for Bono, finally someone sticking up for her! :up:

Finally someone - aside the media - says something encourageous about the boy's adoption. Thankfully, Bono did it.
Why so much negative hype? Would anyone who bashes her do the same she did? Probably not.

The way I see it - Madonna has saved a child from the extreme poverty in Africa. And saving a life, even if it is only one in millions, surely is a good thing?

According to the interview she did on Oprah, Madonna is building an orphanage in Malawi and has been involved ever since Live8 (I think it's an orphanage). She's apparently made several trips there and had her eye on a few children, in case David's adoption didn't work out. She sounded sincere :up:

The Disciple said:
What I'm wondering is which picture in U2 by U2 is of that child, IF they included it.

Reading Bono's comments of "a few weeks ago"-- I would think that he's referring to a NEW new book (as yet unpublished) -- NOT U2 by U2. (Yup, I'm already making space on my bookshelf....)

I read Bono was asked the question about what he thought of Madonna adopting a child from Africa and he answered. I don't believe Bono felt he needed to endorse her actions.

Some people think she's just doing it for publicity. Some people think she used her position and her money to get around the usual process. Some think she's doing it because it's "trendy." Some think she took the child against the father's will.

I think I got 'em all. :wink:

yeah. it's madonna, anyway.
you can never tell if she's being honest or simply going for publicity. i mean, the past does reflect your true self even if wise men say people change :(

tonyhotland said:
yeah. it's madonna, anyway.
you can never tell if she's being honest or simply going for publicity. i mean, the past does reflect your true self even if wise men say people change :(
Unfortunately, what you said is pretty true. But in what I see - and based in some of Madonna's past actions of this present decade - she's reaching a point where she just wants to make good albums than can spawn some big hits with big videos and starting not to care much of the public image, or purposal controversy just to gain popularity. These last years, her strategy seems to have changed a bit and now the scandals and controversies (most of them created by the media) she's into are not of the same type she had in the first half of her career.

"It was one f–ing thing after the next, everywhere we went. So the idea that people think I got a shortcut or an easy ride is absolutely ludicrous. I have never worked so hard for anything in my life, and I've never been given such a hard time. And my celebrity has worked against me in every way."

If you're a famous person who's trying to make a difference in the world, you'd better be prepared to find yourself in the headquarters of hell."

What (the media) should care about is that there are over a million orphans in Malawi, and following me around is just a gross misappropriation of attention and money."

same here, you have to be pretty twisted to believe she would do something like that for some media attention..

I think she likes being in the media, but not for events like this..

Today, I heard on the radio, Madonna supposedly turned down several "real" orphans, before choosing David (who obviously still has a dad).

If this if true, it's putting oil to the fire.

corianderstem said:
Some people think she's just doing it for publicity. Some people think she used her position and her money to get around the usual process. Some think she's doing it because it's "trendy." Some think she took the child against the father's will.

I think I got 'em all. :wink:

I'm sorta one of the "people who thinks she has used her money to get around the usual process"

I'm curiuos to know if Bono would have been so involved in campaigning for poverty relief like he does NOW if he and Ali did go ahead with adopting the boy that was introduced to them back then.....afterall he did say that little boy was the reason he got so passionately involved in this campaign.
This is why i want celebrities to take more of a global role rather than a individual one in the fight against poverty.

fly so high! said:

I'm curiuos to know if Bono would have been so involved in campaigning for poverty relief like he does NOW if he and Ali did go ahead with adopting the boy that was introduced to them back then.....afterall he did say that little boy was the reason he got so passionately involved in this campaign.
This is why i want celebrities to take more of a global role rather than a individual one in the fight against poverty.

I agree, it does make you wonder. I know Bono or Ali (can't remember which) once said that they'd been asked why they never adopt the kids Ali and Adi bring from Chernobyl to Ireland and they said that they've always wanted to adopt them, but feel it's best for the child to find a family in a more "normal", stable situation (i.e., not a celebrity).

But I guess if someone really wants to adopt a child, who am I to judge? The most important thing is that the child has a family and will be taken care of and loved. That's a decision Madonna (and Bono/Ali) can make on their own.

I was wondering when he was going to comment and bring up his encounter with a child who was offered to him years ago. I can understand his feelings now in retrospect. I can also understand why he wouldn't want to adopt international children, he has his own large family to raise and his first obligation is to them. As noble as it seems, some of these celebrities who go around adopting all different children almost seem like it's some exotic game, like a collection, and I wonder how it will play out as a 'family' in the long run. Besides, there are plenty of needy children right here in the US that everyone ignores, of course that wouldn't get the big press the international adoptions bring.

Butterscotch said:
As noble as it seems, some of these celebrities who go around adopting all different children almost seem like it's some exotic game, like a collection, and I wonder how it will play out as a 'family' in the long run. Besides, there are plenty of needy children right here in the US that everyone ignores, of course that wouldn't get the big press the international adoptions bring.

You should read the thread in FYM. Many people have touched on the issues you bring up. I think it was yolland that commented on how difficult it is to adopt children in the US (or from your own country). Not to mention, Malawi has something like a million orphans and only THREE were were allowed to be adopted out in 2005. I'm guessing the amount of American kids adopted in 2005 is significantly greater.

The even more galling thing is that Africa's orphans are still mostly unwanted anywhere else in the world, and that includes the U.S. Last year nearly 21,000 immigrant visas were issued to Americans that adopted orphans from other nations. Ethiopia with a paltry 441 orphans that Americans took in was the only African country that cracked the top ten list. Liberia and Nigeria were the only other African nations among the top 20 nations with 182 and 82 orphans Americans took in.

The amount of press Madonna has received is not indicative of which orphans are more popular than others.

As far as celebs adopting, how is that any different than anyone else? It's only a "game" for them, because they have money and fame? I know one family that's adopted 11 kids and has 3 of their own, and another family that's adopted 5 kids and has 3 of their own. I can't imagine anyone ever making a game out of adopting kids. :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom