Bono being Cool in Boston

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

promenade

The Fly
From yesterday's Boston Globe:

Bono lauds Globe music critic Morse
By Carol Beggy & Mark Shanahan, Globe Staff | December 7, 2005
Anyone who thinks all rock stars are nitwits and narcissists should have been at J.J. Foley's at 2 a.m. yesterday, when a certain superstar singer sauntered in. Bono dropped by the Kingston Street bar not to swill a black and tan, but to say a few kind words about Globe music critic Steve Morse, who's putting down his pen after 31 years. Monday's send-off, which followed U2's seventh sold-out Boston show this year, was a discreet affair, and Bono, wearing his signature wrap-around shades and stylishly distressed cowboy cap, was an unexpected guest. (He was preceded into the bar by the band's manager Paul McGuinness, who hailed Morse as one of the few critics in the US to write about U2 from the beginning.) Stubbier than he looks on stage, Bono climbed atop a table to address the crowd. ''It's a good feeling to be the opening act for Steve Morse," he said, laughing. ''Here I am standing on a booth at Foley's, and I'm still not up to Steve." That wasn't the singer's only shout-out to our man Morse. Minutes before Monday's concert at the TD Banknorth Garden, the band gave the pop critic a signed copy of Anton Corbijn's picture book, ''U2 & I: The Photographs 1982-2004," and from the stage Bono praised Morse for his many candid critiques, even if they sometimes ''kicked us in the arse." (In the crowd, by the way, were Pats players Tom Brady, Mike Vrabel, and Larry Izzo; Pats prez Jonathan Kraft; former Granite State governor Jeanne Shaheen; Clear Channel cheese Don Law; and former Boston Garden prez Larry Moulter.) Impressed that Bono stopped by the bar -- and hung around for nearly an hour -- Morse climbed atop the table to say thanks. ''How do you follow Bono?" he said. ''I've seen these guys for 25 years. It's just been a dream ride." Morse acknowledged U2's other members, Larry Mullen Jr., Adam Clayton, and The Edge, to which Bono responded, ''Yeah, but who's here tonight?" Finally, former J. Geils frontman Peter Wolf raised his glass to Morse. ''In show business, you learn not to follow little kids or animals," said the Woofa Goofa. ''. . . or Bono or Steve Morse." And with that, Wolf led a raucous round of ''For He's a Jolly Good Fellow."

Considering his full schedule, being on tour, a father of four, etc.... we all know how busy the Bonoman is continuousy, and yet to be so thoughtful to take the time to aknowledge someone as he did.

Wow, I guess we could learn a few lessons from him, since so many of us get in the rut of complaining how busy we are, and we don't have time to do this, and that, blablabla...

The man has soul. pure and simple.

That IS so cool!!! Bono seems to have a special love for the people of Boston, whether it is Steve Morse, Tom Brady or especially, all their Beantown-area fans.

*makes mental note to see a Boston show next tour no matter what!!!*

promenade said:
From yesterday's Boston Globe:

Bono lauds Globe music critic Morse
By Carol Beggy & Mark Shanahan, Globe Staff | December 7, 2005

...Stubbier than he looks on stage, Bono climbed atop a table to address the crowd. ''It's a good feeling to be the opening act for Steve Morse," he said, laughing.

Do critics ever stop being critical? :eyebrow:

I'm critical of that!

Secretly Adam, Edge and Larry all dress up as Bono and pretend to be him so it looks like he is in 3 places at once.......:shh:

BonoFox1 said:
I want to know what kind of Vitamins Bono dips into..he sure has been everywhere!!!!..Awesome story!!:up:

if you ever find out what those vitamins are, let me know. I seem to be running out of fuel pretty fast, and I don't have a schedule that closely compares to the Bonoman. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom