Best U2 Albums for Teens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2democrat said:
(...)
Joshua Tree is too boring
(...)
U2democrat - you're absolutely right about this one. I'm in new school since September, have new class with new people and all that stuff... One day I was talking to one of the boys about U2. He heard only "Joshua Tree". And that's exactly what he said about it: "It's so boring". Later I found out he's one of the teens with that Typical Music Taste...

Anyway, now I'm trying to make him listen to AB :wink:

how to dismantle an atomic bomb and all that you can't leave behind. theyre the most easy sounds to digest in u2's catalog. i know i'm 17 and in high school and a lot of my friends have liked beautiful day, stuck in a moment, elevation, vertigo, walk on etc...

StlElevation said:
how to dismantle an atomic bomb and all that you can't leave behind. theyre the most easy sounds to digest in u2's catalog. i know i'm 17 and in high school and a lot of my friends have liked beautiful day, stuck in a moment, elevation, vertigo, walk on etc...

I think you hit it right on the head, although even these albums probably wouldn't stick with a lot of teens. They need to be introduced with these albums and the Best ofs, and then they could really appreciate other stuff like AB and the rest of the catalog.

I would not recommend achtung baby, zooropa or pop to a teenager who wanted to get into them. i would probably recommend the latest two albums because they are recognizable to the average music listener (beautiful day, vertigo: these songs would be like something to fall back on) and are a little popy. all the nineties stuff is too dark. "Pop is so fucking black!"

Seeing how emotional teens can get, maybe Achtung Baby is moody enough for them. But I could easily see other albums getting play, maybe ATYCLB or something.

When I was 14 years old, I got the copy of the Joshua Tree in 1987. The first time I listened to it, I fell asleep...

But

Ever since that first time, I have always felt that the JT is a masterpiece. To me, JT is the Godfather. A masterpiece. A typical teenager is not going to like it, granted. But you have to tell them to really listen to this album and you'll understand what this album means, emotionally. Each song just evokes a powerful emotion, whatever it is. You feel good inside when you listen to I still Haven't or Trip Through Your Wires. Bullet the Blue Sky and Exit really are really punching, fist in the air kind of songs. Running to Stand Sill is just beautiful. Red Hill Mining Town fills you with hope. In God's Country is uplifting. And Mothers of the Disappeared simply puts you to tears, how sad, yet beautiful the ending is.

I was 14 and people my age were not into U2. Remember, this is the late 80's where you had all the hair bands, Debby Gibson and New Kids. But I was proud to say I loved that album, even though it wasn't pop.

BTW, I always thought the cover of JT looked like they just came back from a funeral. Does anybody feel the same?

Last edited:
As someone who recently turned 22...not too far off his teens....it's wrong to stereotype 'teenagers' into this big, homogenous blob. That's like saying, "Which album would Chinese people like best?" or some crap like that. I got into U2 when I was 18, some of my friends were into them, and some were into other stuff - country, rap, rock, alternative, pop, etc. For each friend I had was a different musical taste.

I get the point but teens are not Lemmings. :)

-Miggy D

I'm 21, so also not that far out of my teens either. I have liked U2 since I was .. 17, it must be. And this was when ATYCLB had just come out, so of course I loved Beautiful Day, and so did everyone else. But when they had all forgotten about U2, I couldn't, and actually the song that really got me addicted was SBS. I don't know why, it just was everything I thought a good song should be. And until then I had been a little bit wary of "old" music - that is, anything from before 1997 - but everything I heard of U2's still seemed fresh and relevant to me.

It just seems that all the music that's played on the radio now is in the same mold of rap, hip-hop or pretender bands like Maroon 5. I've really noticed that since being in Slovakia, where practically every song I have heard on the only radio station that's ever played anywhere is by Maroon 5, Anastacia, or *shudder* Natasha Bedingfield. So you could be easily mistaken for thinking that's what teengers like. But Miggy D makes a good point that of course there are many many teenagers with different musical tastes.

Having said that, I couldn't pinpoint a U2 album that would appeal "in general" to teenagers. My youngest sisters, who's 17 now, likes "Angel of Harlem" and when I had the Best of 1980-1990 video she begged me to play that for her! But she doesn't like any other U2 ... she likes, let me think, Westlife, Mandy Moore ... I couldn't get to explain why she liked Angel of Harlem!

OMG!!! I"m only 17 and I started to really like U2 when I was like 14. I like hanging out at the mall ( well sometimes). My favorite U2 album has gotta be the unforgattable fire or rattle and hum. I know a lot of teens think that only old people listen to U2, but who the hell cares what those kids think (lol...I'm just joking).Well my point is.......damn i forgot what i was trying to say....oh well

My friends like and respect U2. I mean they know and like what gets played on the radio. But i would go for boy or war because its got more of a punk side to it. Im not and big punk fan though, Rock n' Roll is my thing.......

I think POP is perfect for teens. Teens musical tastes haven't usually been fully developed by that time so they won't really notice much of the shortcomings of POP. So let them listen to POP. Whereas if adults were given a dose of POP, it might totally disillusion them about U2. So I'd say give POP to the teeny boppers!

Cheers,

J

I'd give them teens a copy of ZooTv Live in Australia. The music and the visuals were so cool. I still watch that tape religiously. I thought it was 'hip' then and I still do.

During my senior year in high school (roughly 2 years ago), I brought "Achtung Baby" to school. I was in the computer lab on a class assignment, sitting next to a rather attractive black girl (why did I mention she was black? I don't know...it just seems most people whom like U2 music are white :shrug: ). ANYWAY, so I was sitting there, listening to the CD, when all of a sudden she taps my shoulder and asks if she could see the cd. I say "sure," and hand it over to her. She gets a grin on her face and says to her friends, "I'm gonna listen to some U2" in a somewhat supercilious tone (she figures they're old fogies at this point).

Soooo, she's skimming through the tracks and all of a sudden she's saying stuff like "wow! this is good!" (and not in a sarcastic tone, either). heh, she was genuinely surprised (as was I) that she was loving the CD. It made me feel good :D

the end :dance:

Last edited:
Hey, i dig good charlotte,new found glory, the ataris, simple plan and all that other pop punk shit as you call it, but that doesn't mean that i've got shit taste in music!! I love the 'classics' just as much as that other stuff!! I may be only 18, but i pride myself on the fact that i have a very varied taste in music!!
It's not fair that all teenagers are put under that same label as having shit taste in music as not all of us like that pop or rap shit,some of us like good music ,real music, like u2,elvis,bruce springsteen and the ramones.
As for the best u2 album for teens, i'd say any u2 album, because if they have any taste in music, they'll realise that every u2 album is a classic in it's own right!!!

jick said:
I think POP is perfect for teens. Teens musical tastes haven't usually been fully developed by that time so they won't really notice much of the shortcomings of POP. So let them listen to POP. Whereas if adults were given a dose of POP, it might totally disillusion them about U2. So I'd say give POP to the teeny boppers!

Cheers,

J

couldn't disagree more. if i were to just play pop, not tell the kids at school what band this was and they listened to discotheque or mofo or playboy mansion, they'd probably just be like 'what the fuck is this'.

all that you can't leave behind and how to dismantle an atomic bomb are, again, the most easily accessable and digestable records and they are catchy, thus, best for teens.

msbarb said:
I'd give them teens a copy of ZooTv Live in Australia. The music and the visuals were so cool. I still watch that tape religiously. I thought it was 'hip' then and I still do.

I agree with msbarb. Hook 'em with a killer live show: ZooTV, PopMart, Rattle and Hum, whatever. After that, there'll be no turning back - they'll be fans for life!

StlElevation said:

all that you can't leave behind and how to dismantle an atomic bomb are, again, the most easily accessable and digestable records and they are catchy, thus, best for teens.

I´m 100% agree with you mate

HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL :wave:

Well I'm a teen, and my first albums were the 2 Best of's and Joshua Tree, and Achtung Baby...

For the average Britney-luvin' teen though, I think Achtung Baby would be the best out of those...I don't think most teens would appreciate the depth of an album like the Joshua Tree or the Unforgettable Fire, or the experimentation of Zooropa or Pop. While they'd probably like Beautiful Day and maybe Vertigo, I also don't think most teens would get the earnesty of ATYCLB or HTDAAB...it's hard to explain, but I think they'd be almost embarrassed or something to listen to such a heartfelt and earnest album. (They wouldn't get a song like Peace on Earth, and would think it was cheesy or stupid.)

Achtung Baby, on the other hand, is very cool, not too ironic, but not too earnest. I know all us hardcore fans could go on forever about how deep the album is, conceptual blahblahblah, but you have to admit it's full of great pop songs that are also accessable to the average indifferent teen...I caught my Usher-luvin' friend singing along to Mysterious Ways!

For your teens who ARE into rock, but run w/ the "cool rejects" crowd, ie punk, punk-pop, Warped Tour kinda stuff (which I mostly think is shit, but there's some good stuff every once in awhile), and who are too cool for U2 and their earnesty and music that is actually listenable, Boy is great. (Personally, as a teen, I can't get enough of this album!!!) My friend was relatively impressed, and she's all into Green Day and Anti-Flag.

For the classic rock elitist group, (Led Zeppelin-luvin'), who are ALSO too cool for U2 due to lack of blistering guitar solos, War is the best.

So it depends on who it is. Most teens who like your average Top 40 shit, Achtung Baby is best...But for people who ARE fans of Rock, just not U2, some of the 80's stuff would also work!

ps...AtomicBono and UnforgettableLemon...I agree with you! I listen to whatever sounds good, just most pop and rap sounds like absolute shit to me! But when a good hip-hop or pop song comes around, I'm not too good for it, there are some damn catchy songs out there! I think due to U2's popularity and all the elitist shit we get for it, U2 fans are a little less discriminating as far as what they "allow" themselves to listen to, which is a good thing, IMO.

IMO the best U2 album for teens is a compilation album of all their hits. I have burned quite a few of my friends this cd I made1. I will follow
2. Stories for boys
3. Out of Control
4. Gloria
5. New Years Day
6. Sunday Bloody Sunday
7. Two Hearts Beat As One
8. Pride in the name of love
9. Bad
10. With or without you
11. Still havent found what I’m looking for
12. Where the streets have no name
13. Desire
14. love comes to town
15. Angel of Harlem
16. All I want is you.

1. The Fly
2. Even better than the real thing
3. Mysterious ways
4. one
5. numb
6. stay
7. hold me
8. discotheque
9. staring at the sun
10. beautiful day
11. walk on
12. elevation
13. stuck
14. vertigo
15. all because of you
16. sometimes you can’t make it on your own

it's a really good introduction to U2.

Well, I really don't know what to say to this one...

I first became a fan in 1981, I was 12 and my first u2 song was "Gloria"....."October" is from PLANET MARS today and it was back then. I really thus can't project myself into another teen's shoes..

Back
Top Bottom