Best Song Survivor: Boy Round One - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: What is your least favorite song?
I Will Follow 0 0%
Twilight 1 2.56%
An Cat Dubh 1 2.56%
Into the Heart 1 2.56%
Out of Control 0 0%
Stories for Boys 4 10.26%
The Ocean 11 28.21%
A Day Without Me 4 10.26%
Another Time, Another Place 2 5.13%
The Electric Co. 1 2.56%
Shadows and Tall Trees 14 35.90%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:40 PM
Best Song Survivor: Boy Round One

Welcome to the 2012 Best Song Survivor! After discussing it with Axver (thank you, thank you, thank you, Axver), I have decided on a slightly new format for this year's Survivor. The new format will work like this:

Each album will have a series of rounds. We will vote off songs until the top two, three, or four songs from each are determined. That number is determined from the recent Best Album Survivor. From All That You Can't Leave Behind, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, Original Soundtracks 1, and October, we go to the top two tracks. From Pop, Boy, No Line on the Horizon, War, and Rattle and Hum, we go to the top three tracks. From Achtung Baby, The Joshua Tree, Zooropa, and The Unforgettable Fire, we go to the top four tracks. In addition, from each era (early 80s, late 80s, 90s, 2000s), we will have a single non-album song round. Those rounds will allow multiple choices, and you will be asked to choose your favorite five (or fewer). The top two songs from each of those rounds will move on.

Then we will move on to quarterfinals. Each era (again, early 80s, late 80s, 90s, 2000s) will have its own quarterfinal round, consisting of album songs and the top two non-album songs. Each quarterfinal round will get one song per album out to semifinals, plus two songs per album in the top four of the Best Album Survivor, plus one song per album in the middle five of the Best Album Survivor. In other words...
Early eighties: 3 base songs + 1 bonus for Boy + 1 bonus for War = 5 semifinalists
Late eighties: 3 base songs + 2 bonus for UF + 2 bonus for JT + 1 bonus for RAH = 8 semifinalists
Nineties: 4 base songs + 2 bonus for AB + 2 bonus for Zooropa + 1 bonus for Pop = 9 semifinalists
2000s: 3 base songs + 1 bonus for NLOTH = 4 semifinalists

Then we will have two semifinal rounds: one for the 80s, and one for the 90s and 2000s combined. They will each have 13 songs, and we will take the top 5 from each to finals. That will lead to a nice, clean 10-song final round.

Sound good? Hopefully this isn't too complicated!

One other note: in the past Survivor, quarterfinal and semifinal rounds were held after album and non-album-song voting for their respective voting. I probably will keep it that way, but I'm considering doing all preliminary rounds first, then all quarterfinal rounds, then all semifinal rounds, then the final round. Thoughts?

At any rate, let's begin with round one for Boy. You have 24 hours to vote for your least favorite song. Enjoy!

Old 10-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
The Fly

Local Time: 12:40 AM
Gaahhh, I tapped on my favorite song without thinking and them realized what I was doing as soon as I selected vote! I'm stupid. So sorry, digitize... Could you please change it to The Ocean for me?

Old 10-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyontheHorizon
Gaahhh, I tapped on my favorite song without thinking and them realized what I was doing as soon as I selected vote! I'm stupid. So sorry, digitize... Could you please change it to The Ocean for me?
Sure
Old 10-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

You know what really grinds my gears? The fact that An Cat Dubh and Into The Heart are 2 separate tracks. Especially when I add it to my top U2 songs play list and put it on shuffle.

Dammit!
Old 10-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize

Sure
Thanks a bunch!
Old 10-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

The track I've gone to the least over the years would be either "The Ocean" or "Shadows And Tall Trees."
Old 10-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 07:40 AM
Shadows and tall trees I guess.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 10-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
Ghost of Love

Local Time: 01:40 AM
I'd vote that An Cat Dubh and Into the Heart be listed as one track. Pretty illogical otherwise.

https://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Old 10-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox
I'd vote that An Cat Dubh and Into the Heart be listed as one track. Pretty illogical otherwise.
That's how I did it in Rate the Song, and most posts were something like "I give ACD an 8 and ITH a 6 so I'll average it to a 7", which implied to me that Interference thought of them separately. But I'm willing to combine them.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #10
Ghost of Love

I can't imagine one without the other..but maybe that's just me.

And it/they = 9.

https://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Old 10-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

I'm surprised that The Ocean is getting so many votes. That's one of the songs I always come back to.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:40 PM
Sounds good, looking forward to it all, thanks again Digitize!

I sure hope U2 doesn't interrupt our fun by dropping an album on us or something.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:40 PM
Shadows and Tall Trees. Just never came around to it.

And yes, The Ocean is a great little song.

And I felt like a star
I felt the world could go far
If they listened to what I said.

Bono
Old 10-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #14
Refugee

I like Shadows and Tall Trees. The Ocean is nice, but kind of only half a song, that's why it got my vote. Would have liked to hear it flushed out a bit more.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
I'm surprised that The Ocean is getting so many votes. That's one of the songs I always come back to.
It's one of my favourites as well.

Voted for A Day Without Me. That song irritates me sometimes.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:40 AM
Stories For Boys. But I don't dislike it that much, this is U2's most consistent album. It's just that the highs aren't nearly as great as most of their other albums.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Tough call here, mainly for the same reason that djerdap mentioned. I'm going to have to go with A Day Without Me, which doesn't really match the sonic or emotional intensity of the rest of the album.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 05:40 AM
I haven't listened to this album since the remaster came out. I've been on an 80s kick lately so now would be good to remind myself how Twilight goes I guess.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Twilight is my favorite, while Stories for Boys is the worst song on the album for me.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #20
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:40 PM
I love this album so much. Even the two tracks I put at the bottom of any ranking of Boy's songs are good. So my vote for The Ocean isn't really a slight upon it. It's a nice little track, sort of an interlude ... it would've been better if 11 O'clock Tick Tock had been recorded for the album and The Ocean used as a sort of outro for it like they did live. As it is, its placement on the album is slightly awkward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
One other note: in the past Survivor, quarterfinal and semifinal rounds were held after album and non-album-song voting for their respective voting. I probably will keep it that way, but I'm considering doing all preliminary rounds first, then all quarterfinal rounds, then all semifinal rounds, then the final round. Thoughts?
I don't really think it's a big deal which way around it's done. I liked doing the finals right after the album rounds partly just to keep the theme going (e.g. we were already thinking of the nineties, so might as well do its final), and partly to be able to post some more results and to condense the list of finalists I posted in every OP. But building up to a big series of finals rounds at the end would be good too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
You know what really grinds my gears? The fact that An Cat Dubh and Into The Heart are 2 separate tracks. Especially when I add it to my top U2 songs play list and put it on shuffle.

Dammit!
Seconded! I mentally think of them as one song. I don't recall what I did in past Survivors ... I think I went by the official tracklisting and put them separately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonocomet View Post
I sure hope U2 doesn't interrupt our fun by dropping an album on us or something.

At least that's only a remote possibility!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
I'm going to have to go with A Day Without Me, which doesn't really match the sonic or emotional intensity of the rest of the album.
Really? I've always thought it fit rather well. Unless I'm grossly misremembering, isn't it meant to be about Ian Curtis somehow?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog