be honest. is u2 still your favorite band?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 is the band I have identified the most with....I don't listen to them all the time...but I find that whenever I do go back and listen...i'm floored with emotion. I love many many musicians and bands, but like most others here...u2 is always the band I go back to....

Interesting topic, i think that U2 is my favorite band but I think that it can change with the wind.

At times all I can listen to is Radiohead, other times i get caught up in David Gray or Sigur Ros.

There are sooooo many others, so if I have to pick a fave band I always pick U2, if I dont have to I wont........:wink:

U2 is most definitely my favorite band. No one even comes close anymore. Besides the more obvious and pausable reasons me, or anyone else likes them, just listening to them gives me this strange feeling-like it realeases chemicals in my brain like a drug. It's like euphoria. I can't explain that, but nothing else has ever given me that feeling, and i am not hesitenet to say-i dont think anything else ever will. For that reason alone they could be my favorite band-but there's much more to them i love! I think they will be my favorite band forever too.

U2 is my favorite band. But I still understand what you're saying, b/c I felt the same way when U2 replaced my original top two.

well actually u2 is one of my favourite two bands and always has been. u2 and the rolling stones have always been my favourites. actually u2 came first in 1981 when i was 8 years old. stones came in 1986. i am a true collector of both bands and their back catalogue is sufficient to provide me with a lifetime of favourite music. yes, i listen to tons of other bands and other genres as well. i like music. no, i love it. at presaent, i just can't get enough of jeff buckley, i somehow only discovered him about half a year ago.

but these two bands have been, are and will always be with me. i will never get bored with them. i may not feel like listening to them for some periods (periods i have already had in my life) but that does not matter a bit.

both bands rule!

Last edited:
U2 is my favorite band by far. I'm a pretty new fan so I still listen to them A LOT, but as time goes on I think i become like the rest of you and always come back to them even though I may spend a lot of time listening to other bands.

I'd have to say U2 are my favorite band and most likely always will be. It wasnt really until after seeing them on the Elevation tour that I realized that even though I had grown and alot in my life had changed my love for these 4 men and what they do had been one of the things that had always been there and never gone away. I have been a fan for at least half of my life and as weird as it may sound I feel like their music has become a part of me or my soul.

There is something truly special about U2 and what they do for them to have had the effect on people for as long as they have.

It's fair to say that I go on "Kicks" with other bands but when I go back to listen to U2 I always re-discover them. They will forever be my favorite band. Till death do us part!

U2 has been my favorite band ever since I first heard once of their songs (WOWY, back in 1987). There have been times when I didn't listen to them all that much because I was heavily into other kinds of music, but I've always considered them my favorite because no one else's songs touch me in quite the same way.

I doubt if anyone is going to supplant U2 as my favorite band at this point in my life. Once you get to be my age (35), it's hard to relate to new bands the same way you do to the ones you fell in love with for the first time when you were younger.

I'm interested in heaps of other groups and artists, and I don't listen to U2 every day, but I think I've only got room for one major band obsession and U2 is definitely the band I'm most emotionally invested in. Almost everything about it just clicks with me in a way that no other band can match.

I have been a U2 fan for a long time, but I'm not sure they have always been my favorite band the entire time. I think most of have different phases we go through. Right now there isn't another band whose music connects with me as much as their's does.

Will they always be my favorite? I don't know. But I'm sure they will always be important to me.

U2, Radiohead and Pumpkins/Zwan are my big 3 I guess

I have to agree with G. about U2, I still listen to the rare stuff and a few choice bootlegs (zoo tv dc + popmart nuremberg in particular for the style in which they are recorded and the setlists) but anyhow, one thing I know contributed to this shift in the last few years is internet downloading, especially high speed... if I had to depend primarily on mainstream radio and MTV for music, I probably would listen to U2 more

you know I grew up loving bands like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin, but rarely listen to them anymore, every so often I do and remember how great they are, but I'm not motivated to keep them in the rotation, I haven't listened to either band in ages

bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam have entered this realm too

I listen to U2 less than a lot of bands these days. But like everyone said, they're always there in the background. And when I do put 'em on, I love it all. I think they will be my favourite band for a good long time, no matter what. The reason, is that they are ingrained in me. While most people were listening to the radio growing up, I was listening to U2.. so they are the soundtrack to my life ages 8-17 or so, and because of that their music has a sentimental "i've known this song all my life and it's beautiful" type of power.

Bono's American Wife said:
U2 is still my favorite band and always will be. I listen to other music but nothing out there, with the possible exception of Coldplay, has ever given me what U2 has. I don't know if that makes sense but its the only way I can explain it.

amen to that sistah!! I understand that completely!!!:yes: :yes:

Yes, U2 is still my favorite band. I've done a lot of musical branching out lately - I'm just now discovering some really awesome jazz...from Miles Davis to McCoy Tyner to Dave Brubeck (you owe it to yourself to pick up Miles Davis' "Kind Of Blue"), and U2 have taken a back seat. But just the other day I read a thread on here in IO (of all places) talking about U2, and so I decided to stick U2's first 5 studio albums into the changer and listen. And you know what, even after all the times I've listen to them, I'm still impressed. Even the early stuff where the music isn't very 'deep' I'm just blown away by how creative and original it is. Boy is a fantastic debut album for boys of 18-19. Now that I've been listening to the first 5 for a few days now, I'm beginning to think that 80s U2 wasn't given nearly as much credit as was due. There's just an incredible drive to the early U2 that's really hard to find anywhere else.

Anyway, I'm rambling now, but like Sula, U2 is the constant in my musical journey. I might stray far away or not visit in a while, but I can always come back to U2 and find satisfaction in their music.

Yes they are my favorite and as far as I can see they will remain that way. I have many musical interests from punk to techno, and there are times when I do not listen to U2 for some time, with that said though.....

I will never get tired of U2 music. I can't think of many other bands I would wait in line for 14 hours + to see, more than once in a 2 week span. If I am having a crap day and feel like listening to something which will me feel better, I can always put in some U2. I love the content of their lyrics, the political statements, the love songs, etc. I am not sure how many other bands I can say all that about.

I like that because of them I have been introduced to many great things. When I hear Streets live I get goose bumps. The feelings of excitement that I get prior to, at the beginning of and throughout one of U2's shows is unreal and never dies down. When they play One or any of their other very special songs I find myself blown away time and time again. If I were going to be stranded on an island and could only take the music of one Artist with me it would be without question U2.

Coldplay is the only other band that I have been heavily into that gives me some of these same feelings, but I would never in a million years want U2 to open for Coldplay....U2 in my book is always the main act, they are the band I enjoy listening to and talking about the most.

The moment someone writes a song that beats "Bad", I'll jump ship over to their side. But there cant ever be a greater song. So it aint gonna happen.

u2popmofo said:
I'm suprised most of you dare say U2 will ALWAYS be your favorite band.

I definitely cant say that. I just dont know what, or who may come along in the future. It's not all that likely that U2 will continue making a LOT of music, so I like to keep my options open.

I'm sure U2 will always be one of my absolute favorite bands, but I dont know. I dont want to limit myself to saying they'll always be my favorite. I keep on thinking of how young of a band Radiohead is, and how they could release something that totally wins me over. Any band could I guess.

I don't think I'm limiting myself by saying they're my favorite. I've always been a fan of music, for as long as I can remember, but no other band or musician has had such an impact on my life as U2. It's a very spiritual thing. For me, listening to most other music is a different experience altogether. It's fun or I may get something spiritual out of it in a small sense, but never like U2.

HelloAngel said:

I think some can very accurately state that. I believe that many of them have sealed their lifelong musical tastes - and honestly believe U2 will be their favorite band for a lifetime.

At a certain point, many do not pay attention to rising bands - my parents only listen to their favorites from when they were younger.
"

:yes: I'm only 21, but I feel like today's music, for the most part, has hit a rather dry spot. There's nothing out there right now that REALLY excites me...But I keep watching anyway for any positive changes...

I like lots of bands, I listen to lots of music, but most of it is U2. They are definitely my favorite. They have a song for every emotion, every milestone in life. Their music got me through bad days, and celebrated good days.

I've also gotten into a lot more fan sub-cultures with U2 than I ever have, so I think I'm hooked for a long, long time. No other band has ever made me want to read bizarre yet well-written stories about the members, or post compulsively on a message board. No other band has made me aware of the condition of the world outside the US, and made me want to do something to change it.

I don't know if they'll ALWAYS be my favorite. I am obsessive, but I'm fickle with my obsessions. They replaced Dave Matthews Band as my favorite. Right now I don't see any band out there with the potential to replace U2, because a lot of music right now is basically karoake. I also don't see DMB returning to #1 because their concerts pale in comparison to U2. U2 is emotion, excitement, and social consciousness, and I just can't get enough!

I've actually been having nervous feelings about the "my favorite band" issue lately. Two weeks ago I saw Coldplay, and since the day I bought AROBTTH a few months ago, I've been on a major Coldplay binge that is still continuing.

Still, U2 is heavy. They're titanium soul. They are the gurus and Coldplay are the young grasshoppers. My respect, admiration, and love for U2 are too great for any other band out there right now to surpass.

I have a lot of bands and solo artists that I love: Coldplay, Radiohead, Concrete Blonde, Oasis, Tori Amos, Bubba Sparxxx (just checking to see if you're still paying attention! :laugh: ) ...but the one that takes me to that higher place is still U2 and probably will be for a long time to come.

U2 have been my favourite band for the last 15 years. They aren't going to all of a sudden cease being special after all that time.

I have vast musical tastes, and no, don't listen to U2 everyday, but no one surpasses the euphoria I feel when I hear them on the radio or see them in concert. I :heart: Coldplay, but even when I met Chris Martin, I asked him about U2. :shrug: What can I say? They are family.

The_acrobat said:
It wouldn't be possible for any other band to EVER match the difference U2 has made in my life. How I feel about their music and how it just gets me through is unexplainable. There is no other band with a greater history and a greater body of work. They are my favorite band. I go off on tangent routes and get into other bands. But I end up getting sick of those other bands, but I never get sick of U2. It's more than just liking the music...it's something inside that I can't really explain.

U2 is and ALWAYS shall be my favorite band. I got into them during my susceptible youth. I have grown and have molded my life with U2 their with me the whole way. I will like other bands as time goes on, but think about it. In 10 years when U2 will probably call it quits, I'll be 30. I can't see myself at 30, let at right now at 20, getting taken away by another band this way. It just can't happen. Whatever happens, they'll always be there with me. I just hope I can still listen to U2 when I'm 90.

The first paragraph pretty much describes the way I feel about U2. I can't relate with what you say on your second paragraph because I became a *true* fan fairly recently... but I don't think I could ever feel about any other band the way I feel about these guys. No one compares.

I agree with what everyone has been saying. I really got into U2 about 2 years ago and listened to nothing but U2 for about 6 months. That kind of burned me out on them, so I don't listen to U2 that often, but they're still my #1. I go on major kicks with other bands, but I consider them to be "my favorite band of the moment" while U2 is my permanent favorite.

Back
Top Bottom