Band Commentaries On DVD's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DevilsShoes

War Child
Would anyone like to see this? I think it'd be interesting to hear the bands thoughts while watching one of their concerts, especially the earlier stuff like Red Rocks or one of the Unforgettable Fire shows, although I think they'd be very reluctant to do it, especially Bono. Directors and Actors commentate over their films all the time, I see no reason why the same couldn't happen in music.
What do you think?

U2 seem to have a habit of viewing their previous work with reservation... Bono seems to think, for instance, that he sounded like a girl until about 1987, which is a comment I would not appreciate hearing him make during a moving performance of MLK. And come to think of it, I don't know that I'd really like to hear any comments by them while watching a DVD. You can do commentaries on films because there is so much material in every scene. In concert performances, there simply isn't the same amount of *stuff* to talk about. You might be able to do introductory comments before each song, but that would be about it.

Thought about it many times , but don't think They'd do it

It would be cool , but could really boring or cringin for them

on the 1990-2000 DVD you can hear the directors commentary - that`s o.k. but to hear Bono saying stuff like Oh there I make funny moves and things like that -I don't need that.

Fans would love it...so of course, they'll never do it :(

:lol:

San Diego Vertigo Opening Night Commentary:

Zoo Station

Edge: Here's Where bono forgot the lyrics
Bono: ...

The Fly

Larry: And Edge, I believe he forgot them here as welll
Bono: :rant:
Adam: :corn:

Introduction to One:

Larry: So yeah, I got this watch made to check how long Bono was talking with nice big numbers so I can glare at him and see the time at once. It works pretty well. I dunno why he talks so much.
Edge: I was thinking about whether we should do the extended ending with Bono, I really think that makes the song, but it just never came together on that show.
Adam: Sometimes playing bass guitar sucks, I mean... sure the women like you but where is the respect. And I'm pretty sure the women only like me for my silver-fox hair.
Bono: What a great speech, Edge helped me come up with it actually, back in Eze. I think it captures the paradigm of people's conscious and subconscious thoughts, which reflects in the melodic composition of One. And when you take a look at all those cell-phones in the arena, just wow. Make it two wows... I see it all the time but I say its like the Milky Way, different all the time...
Edge: Actually Bono, the stars are the same everytime...
Bono: Really? Wow The Edge, you really are from the future! In that case, Chicago's crowd is even better than the real thing, better than the Milky Way!

Band commentaries would be sbsolutely awesome! I would love to hear what they have to say but I doubt they would do it unless they could chanege it and make it better over the years. :lol:

DevilsShoes said:
Would anyone like to see this? What do you think?

I'd love it, but then again Bono is so full of BS or blarney (as the Irish call it) and so self-depricating that it would be hard to get a straight commentary from him. Don't get me wrong, I love that about him the way he takes every opportunity to make fun of himself! He has got a killer sense of humor so if you are looking for a factoid type commentary, I doubt highly that will ever happen. That leads me to think that a humorous type voice over would be genius! You know where they deliberately make fun of themselves. That would be a hoot, and not boring at all!! I think they would go for that more than a serious, "let's disect ourselves" kind of thing. EEK!! If I were ever asked to do that I would run screaming from the room!! Wouldn't you? That's too painful!! :)

It would be amusing to see a Popmart commentary:

Bono: Really, we just didn't have enough time... if we released this now we would remix Mofo, Gone, Staring at The Sun, Discotheque and all the others into Pride (In The name of Pop). Please though.....fucking great tune! Obviously it must be, since we no longer play it.

thelaj said:
It would be amusing to see a Popmart commentary:

Bono: Really, we just didn't have enough time... if we released this now we would remix Mofo, Gone, Staring at The Sun, Discotheque and all the others into Pride (In The name of Pop). Please though.....fucking great tune! Obviously it must be, since we no longer play it.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Commentary on U2 Vertigo Chicago DVD --

Bono: "I don't think there's enough cutting."
Edge: "I wonder what would happen if Hamish really threw himself into his work."
Larry: "Why am I grimacing in this shot?"
Adam: puffs a cigarette.

Back
Top Bottom