ATYCLB Revisited.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jick

Refugee
Is there anyone out there who still can't take ATYCLB out of their cd player? Or someone who has given it a listen after a long time?

I am surprised how vastly underrated this album is. It showcases U2's versatility as a band. All the tunes are so different from each other yet so good. I still get the chills when I listen to this album, and I am surprised why this album never got the recognition it deserved (like Grammy album of the year).

This album is U2 at its best. I think if you have a friend who hasn't heard much of U2, and they want to see what U2 is all about, then ATYCLB is it. It is like a fusion of all the elements that made U2 click in the 80's and 90's.

Now to sidetrack, I am completely dumbfounded why U2 fired Eno and Lanois and are leaving the new album producing chores to Chris Thomas. Sure this guy has credentials but he worked with artists from the past. U2 should have just stuck with their tried-and-tested formula of Eno-Lanois, or looked for a more modern producer who has been producing more top40 mainstream tracks.

Firing Eno-Lanois after ATYCLB, is like firing Joran and Phil Jackson after winning the NBA championship. It's not even remotely close to the decision of not retaining Howie B for ATYCLB, at least that was somewhat justified.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Interesting thoughts, Jick - but U2 didn't "fire" Eno-Lanois. They chose to go with someone who might help them expand their sound as they continue to search for relevance as an aging band.

We'll see what happens. I remain intrigued.

jick said:
I am completely dumbfounded why U2 fired Eno and Lanois and are leaving the new album producing chores to Chris Thomas. Sure this guy has credentials but he worked with artists from the past. U2 should have just stuck with their tried-and-tested formula of Eno-Lanois, or looked for a more modern producer who has been producing more top40 mainstream tracks.

First of all, U2 doesn't necessarily need Eno-Lanois on board in order to have a great album, although the dynamic duo has certainly done a fantastic job over the years. Eno and Lanois weren't involved with War, but that is widely considered to be one of U2's best albums.

Second of all, the last thing U2 needs is to sound more like what's on Top 40/mainstream radio. I don't think a lot of fans would be too happy if that happened.

I've never had to revisit ATYCLB- I've loved it since the first time I heard it all the way through. I guess that means there's times when I can't take it out of my CD player!
It's not my favorite album, but the songs are uplifting, fun, mourning, supportive...whatever you need, ATYCLB probably has it for you. I've played Beautiful Day a few times in a row when I'm happy, and the Walk On/Kite/In A Little While trio when I'm not.

I find that it's difficult to listen to the singles from the album... saturation. The second half of the album is very different from the first. Tracks like New York and Kite get more play in my player than the first few tracks.

And I have to concur with other responses about the fact that Eno and Lanois were not fired. Producers are hired, and their presence is temporary... Eno didn't work on Zooropa I believe... and neither were present for Pop.

Lanois was approached to work on this upcoming album, but his solo-career commitments conflicted with U2's recording schedule. It's more a matter of circumstance than bad feelings. If U2 decides to do a few more albums, you'll probably see Eno and Lanois again.

PS- Top 40 :down:

Last edited:
I agree that ATYCLB is vastly underrated
most disheartening about the critiques it gets is that with that kind of reasoning (not enough rock, not enough experimentation blahblah) you can easily disregard a lot of the best music ever recorded

anyone entitled to their own taste,
but your taste doesn't classify an album good or bad

jick, when are you going to decide what camp you're on? every other thread you start here, you're either praising or bashing pop or atyclb.

psst...

Attachments

• troll.jpg
    troll.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 79
jick, your opinions are weak. theyre useless. some would say (me, for instance) theyre irrelevant.

but at the same time they bother me. just like a rat bothers a homeowner, your constant nagging at wanting u2 to be even more mainstream and accessable just so that they can be successful in the public eye makes me sick. do you even listen to their music, or do you just look at the charts and wish u2 would be on top?

why am i surprised. your the same guy who likes avril lavigne, bon jovi and alanis morrisette. :down:

quit trolling.

Michael Griffiths said:

Actually, you know I hate to correct you Cujo ;) , but Eno produced Zooropa, which had additional production by Edge.

I knew one of them wasn't involved... I should have known Eno was there... visceral album indeed, with effects and ambience.

Do you not have anything better to do than stalk me Griffs...?

:sexywink:

Um, when exactly did this album become underrated? Every reviewer I came across in 2000 sounded like he'd have sex with the album if he could. Who cares if it didn't win a Grammy? People were convinced that it was the only worthwhile thing the band had done since Achtung, Baby. They were a step away from comparing Bono's DNA with samples taken from the Shroud of Turin. I think some of you folks just won't be satisfied until U2 wins everything from Best Album to Best Album of Beatles Covers Redone As Polka Songs With A Female Vocalist Who Was Standing On Her Head While Recording It On A Wednesday. And besides, the Grammies haven't been relevant since...have the Grammies ever been relevant?

Anyway, I haven't listened to it in a long, long time because I think it's a pretty plain-sounding record when all is said and done, although I pull out an Elevation Tour bootleg every now and then.

And I think it's good for them to get away from Eno and Lanois and broaden their horizons a bit.

Last edited:
typhoon said:
Every reviewer I came across in 2000 sounded like he'd have sex with the album if he could.

How true. I could never figure out a way it would work either.

I'm opposite of most people

first off...I really liked ATYCLB
I think it was because I was in denial. I didn't wantto believe that my favorite band could produce such a dull landscape.

there are around 2 good songs

If they could get back to the idea of continually reinventing themselves I'd be much happier

I would put it on the same plane as october

I listened to ATYCLB recently and it still sounds like a bloody wonderful album to my ears. Beautiful Day - Wild Honey is probably my favourite run of seven consequent songs on any U2 album. And the best (IMO) tunes on it weren't even singles!

While I don't think that the general opinion will ever let ATYCLB into the Holy U2 Pantheon occupied by JT and AB, I don't think that it's vastly underrated either. Vastly misrepresented, maybe (U2 going back to their roots? Oh yeah, "Elevation" would have fit into October no problem). I guess a part of the test is whether Rolling Stone will ever call another U2 album "a fourth masterpiece", :)

To move back to the Eno-Lanois/Chris Thomas topic here, I think it is a good choice to go with Thomas. He has produced some wonderful albums. For those of you who think that ATYCLB wasn't Top 40, you're delusional. ATYCLB was (gasps) very Adult-Contemporary in my book. I think the new album will have a harder/rougher and rockier(?) edge to it (pun intended). Let's just wait and see.

I agree reggie!!

I'm really happy thompson is working on it and I'm hoping for a career defining album! it's possible.

and yes...90% of ATYCLB is adult contemporary.

They way I look at U2 records now is how it enhances their ENTIRE catalog. I'm glad I can listen to "Gloria" then "Like A Song" then "Gone" then "Zooropa" and "New York".

typhoon said:
Who cares if it didn't win a Grammy?
:yes: i agree with the rest of your post too, but wanted to point this out.

sure the album didn't win a grammy, but like every single single (is that a pun?) did, which is an amazing feat. i'd rather win a ton of grammies for beautiful day, stuck in a moment, etc., than just one lousy grammy for the album as a whole.

Ok, I love ATYCLB because it gave us Kite and In a Little While. I love it because it brought us the Elevation tour.

Now they need to kick our ass on the next album.

As for the Grammy thing with Album of the Year... Remember how Grammy's are chosen folks. The "rock vote" (registered Grammy voters that work in the field of rock/pop) was split leaving the "country vote" all lumped up on O Brother Where Art Thou.

It's a shaky system at best, and sometimes artists benifit from that system and sometimes they don't.

Grammys? I care more about the booger I just picked outa my nose than the Grammys. Jethro Tull over Metallica for metal performance? Millie Vailli best new artist?

My original post was misunderstood. My point was that ATYCLB was labelled everthing, from the "post 9/11 theme album", "the album that saved U2's face after POP", "joshua tree part 2". "the uplifting and joyous album." ATYCLB was popular for either its message, its relevance or how it saved U2. Not much was said about its musicality. As I said in my original post to this thread, revisiting this album made me realize what a musical album this is because of its versatility. Bono did his 80's anthemic shouts in the Walk On and Kite choruses, and tried his motown crooning in In A Little While. Adam did badass funky groovy bass with Elevation, then did a soft, muted and poignant take with Grace. Larry drummed the lights out in New York, but on the flip side he did his repetitive melodic repetitive style in Stuck In A Moment. The textures and sounds to each song are so different, listened as separate parts they don't sound like they are from the same album. Unlike War, where are the songs do sound like they belong together, or even up to Achtung - except a few expections. So when I say underrated, the album stood out for its message, its lyrics, its healing factor, its redemption - but its musicality and versatility are highly underrated. Revisiting ATYCLB made me realize that U2 are not just good songwriters and message-givers - they are also great versatile musicians.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

ATYCLB is a well written, well performed album by an experienced and important band. There are a lot of good lyrics, a lot of deep meaning and a lot of the band's heart and soul in that. If that's not what you want, maybe you don't want U2. This more than any other album came from inside those four guys, and I love it, and I love them for giving it to us.

Back
Top Bottom