Attention! Fan Reaction Article For "Vertigo"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1. It has a deep, almost consciously self-referential connection to early U2, ESPECIALLY I will Follow. Check out the harmonics in the bridge. Which is nowhere saying that they are repeating themselves. Everyone is just playing their natural game, which is why that energy just seems to FLOW from the track. Very disciplined music, but the playing is fresh, loose and free.

2. It has a light-weight feel to it, particularly Bono's delivery of the lyrics, with the "yeah yeah"s and the "whoas". This is not one of the meaning-of-life songs ala One or WOWY, but it isn't meant to be either (unlike Walk On, which IMO tried and failed, precisely because it tried). However, there are a lot of allusions to God and the Spirit, and the lyrics, if taken seriously, paint a very interesting, abstract scene. In fact, assuming there is a cohesive meaning to the song to the whole (instead of a bunch of random words thrown around here and there), which there probably is, I havent figured it out yet. Except the simultaneous euphoria and paranoia of being in a place you do not understand. And fuck the lyrics, the holiness of the song is just in the chemistry and energy which no one can doubt they FEEEEEEEEL.

3. In many ways this is very un-U2. I dont remember Edge ever riffing power chords like that so many at a time. Things are beginning to go off into another direction, while still maintaining some integrity of identity, which means VERY interesting things for the rest of the album...

4. It's fucking catchy. One of you motherfuckers tell me that song wont be in your head all day. And it has attitude, something that Elevation (a "rocker" from ATYCLB) totally lacks.

5. This is either a live cut (the one that will be on one of the singles), or a radio edit. Definitely not the album version IMO.

6. I love it.

-Shyam

oh..................................................................
my...........................................................
god........................................:drool: :happy: :) :shocked: :applaud: :shocked:

What a song. What a band.

I've heard it 2-1/2 times now (the first time I came in on the middle of it), and it is wonderful. I would expect no less from U2!

I love it from beginning to end, from the first drumstick click to the last guitar chord. I love how Adam's bass is beefed up, how hard Edge ROCKS, how Bono sings "I can FEEEEEL..." Oh, I love it all!

KROCK in New York City is playing it every hour on the hour the rest of the day, and I'll be going back to the radio again and again and again for it!

I had an exam this morning (Pharmokinetics for pharmacy) THE WHOLE EXAM I WAS SINGING THE SONG IN MY HEAD!!!
I probably failed.... WHO CARES WHAT A SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:happy: :dance: :hyper: :yes: :up:

I want to go running down the street, I want to go driving fast, I want a roller coaster!

I know I posted this message on another thread but it's a suitable reply to this thread.

Every first single that I've heard from U2 from each of their albums, I've been dissappointed after the first listen but after repeated listens I have always loved. Vertigo is no different. The first time I heard it I said Bono's voice is finished he sounds weak and the instruments are a mess with no direction. Then I heard it another 6 or 7 times. It rocks. This song is gonna sound great live. For those of you who haven't heard it, it isn't U2 trying out anything new. There were a few times in the song that I said wait a minute I heard that sound somewhere else. Following is five of those times:

1. 0:09, 0:53, 1:42, 2:52 Pearl Jam's Spin the Black Circle
2. 1:13 Wire from Unforgettable Fire
3. 1:57 Three Sunrises from Wide Awake in America
4. 2:12 I Will Follow
5. 1:45 U2's version of Won't Get Fooled Again at Irving Plaza right before Elevation 2001

This song is AWESOME! If this is the same as the album version, it is U2's 13th shortest song ever put on an album and the second shortest single ever released. I feel in a way this is new ground for U2. The rappy verses with the pounding bass, which goes straight into one of the best chorus lines ever is so cool. VERTIGO INDEED! Even the bridge, which I thought at first to be to long has grown on me and you can hear classic edge sounding guitar all over that.

No matter what U2 would have put out though, there of course people who will claim that it is subpar or average. I honestly don't see how anyone could even remotely say that about this song, but it always happens.

Over the years, a band like U2 produces classics that people worship and in a way, that makes it difficult for some to ever accept or appreciate new music, in my opinion. I've seen it work in reverse as well where someone who has never heard U2 before loves the new album, but has trouble getting into the old stuff.

I just think this is fantastic, and my initial reception to this song is better than Beautiful Day, Discotheque, Numb, Fly, Desire, and even With Or Without You. I don't know where it places yet in U2's near 200 song catalog, but its definitely near the top, and this is only the first song from the album.

I copied this from my blog.. it's kinda long.

I'd say it's fairly evident that U2 plays a large part in my life. Not so much these days, as I've been lead astray by other magnificent musics and slightly disillusioned by the last album, but in the end I keep coming back. U2 was the first band I loved, I have heard every song they've ever released many times, stood one row from the stage, sung along, learned the name of Edge's guitar tech. It goes on. It's rather mad. But the point of all of this, is that when they release something new, Damon pays attention. And as a qualified expert on the subject of U2 (I think lots of people a bit less than a half decade ago knew me only in relation to my obsession) I feel that upon hearing the first new song from the band in two years from the first new album from the band in four years, it is my duty to share my thoughts.

They've been grinding out and ramping up the publicity for the new album over the last weeks and months, and I've been paying close attention, but often more out of habit than real excitement. This comes because their last album, All That You Can't Leave Behind made me doubt them for the first time. It wasn't a bad album. It was even a good album, with some really good songs. But it was just U2 doing what they knew they knew how to do, and coming pretty close to being boring. It was not particularly interesting, nor was it particularly exciting. But it sold huge. It catapulted them back into the hearts of the public. U2 earned 7 grammy awards from it. People gobbled it up, and why wouldn't they? It was a very well made album. But it was also very safe, almost lazy. My opinion on initially hearing it was positive, and remains so. But I dislike what it represents. Of course U2 can write an album of good anthemic rock songs, but they can do MORE. And when a band starts getting older and does something like that, you can't help but worry that they're not going to bother trying to push limits. So I was pretty apprehensive about hearing the new single, Vertigo. All the hype has been saying "U2 return to their rock and roll roots" and I thought, 'great, yeah that's what the fans want, and yeah it'll be good, but will it be great?'

So disillusioned was I with U2 that I waited 3 hours after the mp3 of it went online to download it. I played ping pong while I was pretty certain it was probably online. And then I moseyed over, checked the U2 message board, found a link and casually downloaded it (this may seem fairly obsessive, but then it's nothing compared to 4 years ago). When I heard the first 2 seconds of the song though, like a rush of demented, teleporting vampire weasels clawing across my mind, I suddely got really, really excited. 'What is this sound? I haven't heard U2 make this sound before!' thought I. And yea, 'twas good. Of course after 9 seconds it returned to more familiar territory, but the connection had been made. The fire had been lit.

Meanwhile, twenty listens later...

I wasn't one of the fans going bananas at the possibility of U2's "Return To Rock". I was a fan of them doing anything so long as it was interesting, and good. With Vertigo, U2 has returned to rock, and they have done it very well, and not been boring about it. There's pieces of all different U2 eras here. One can't help but be reminded a little of Elevation, or the initial 3 early 80s albums, or the darkness and seriousness of Achtung Baby, or that specific way a late 80s U2 b-side always manages to sound. But of course it sounds like U2, because it is. But put all the pieces together (and don't worry there's plenty of brand new ones to fit into this puzzle) and the picture you get is one of U2 rocking full tilt. Ragged and raw and fast and loose. A few years ago Bono described the album as "punk rock from Venus" and for once he may be right. There's a ripping bass line, awesome guitars (even the jangly ones we expect from U2), driving beat, and it sounds to me faster and louder than any song U2 has released in a good long time. After it's over, it leaves its mark in the ringing silence left behind.

And oh how it oozes with style. There's something to be said for honest and direct music that just leaves its message on the listener's heart, but there's also something to be said (as U2 proved beyond a shadow of a doubt on the monumental ZooTV tour) about the importance of style. Listening to Bono count in the song in Spanish and say "turn it up loud, captain" as Edge wails on the guitar, I realize that U2 is at least pretending to take themselves a little less seriously than they did throughout the first few years of this decade. They have the swagger back that made the Achtung era so damn cool. They think they're awesome and now rather than trying to arrogantly prove it like on the last album, they're just having a laugh about it and almost nonchalantly kicking some ass. One of the things that made Achtung Baby so incredible was the dichotomy between its dark, brooding, heavy side and the eazy-going, fun, rocking side. I'm starting to think U2 may have some part of that back on How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb... Here's hoping!

I also have to make mention of the lyrics. One of my least favourite things about All That You Can't Leave Behind was the words. They were often cliched and not full of the captivating imagery and turn of phrase I know Bono is capable of. These lyrics are very much back to form. They're not entirely spelled out, and leave something to the imagination; they don't necessarily mean a whole lot, but they mean nothing much better than the lyrics of Elevation meant nothing. Plus, they're into Spanish now.

This isn't U2's best, but it's what I love about them and it keeps me listening. Who knows what the album will sound like, or if Vertigo will continue to keep me coming back for more (and not fizzle on me after a day)...but for now, U2 have won me back.

Well I for one am a happy camper. This is exactly the kind of sound and song I wanted from U2.

1. This song is up tempo and full of power riffs
2. Bono sings well and is kinda all over the place like the War days and before
3. The rhythm section is pumping
4. The lyrics while somewhat vague are fun and yet intriguing at the same time
5. U2 are having fun with this song

You know I think this song sort of is new ground for U2. Oh sure it won't be their best loved single (it's a little to simple for the "serious" U2 fan), but it's quite possibly their funnest(?) single. You can feel the energy and joy of recording this song. And when have you ever know U2/Edge to play the power chords and so loud?

It's catchy, it's a sing-a-long type of song, and you can jump up and bang your head to it. It'll be a killer song live and everyone will be bouncing in the pit/heart/whatever during the whole song.

My feeling is that it will reach the upper echelon of the Modern/Album Rock charts and might just be a huge hit on the Pop charts as well.

I had a much better reaction to this song than I did to Beautiful Day, that is for sure!!

Vertigo is building up more excitement for HTDAAB, and I'm sure the days are gonna crawl by until November 23rd!!

Last edited:
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the most rocking U2 song since I don't know when. It's everything I was hoping for. It definitely sounds like early U2, without slavishly copying early U2. I can't wait to hear it live! I can't wait to get my hands on the whole album!

I think this will be the "fun" song on the album, kind of like Elevation was on ATYCLB. This is a much, much better song, though.

Vertigo is brilliant, explosive rock music. The first few listens, I experienced *classic* U2 new music shock. It just did not register that U2 would finally play ultra-aggressive in your face ROCK music. Sure they have dabbled in it before. But never like this. After about 5-10 listens of initial shock, the reality just SLAMS you. This is the sound of U2 mastering the art of rock.

It has all of the elements of a great U2 song. Bono's voice is 100% on POINT! Razor sharp folks. He is pushing it to the max and screaming like a possessed banshee on steroids. Edge reminds you that it is U2 with his signature - the echoed guitar. And all the rapid fire power chords show that U2 is out to not only keep up with the new bands, but bury them.

The production is refined and polished – just the right amount not to get in the way of the raw power of the song.

The lyrics are classic U2 – double entendre, surface for the bandwagon jumpers, and deep meaning for the thinkers.

I will end my reaction with this:
After years of suffering through bad pop music on the radio, this song is the DEFIBRILLATOR for ROCK MUSIC.

AJ

I haven't heard a song that rocks this much since I first heard Discotheque, which was the song that got me into U2 at the tender age of 9. Vertigo rocks from beginning to end, nonstop. It moves, more than any U2 song since probably Streets. It's got this incredible energy that really can be described as "punk rock from Venus." This is U2 rocking out, doing what they do best, and having fun with it. Listening to this song I can't help but dance, or at least smile. If this song doesn't put a big ol' grin on your face there's something wrong with you... it has elements of basically all the various periods in U2's career and combines them into 3 minutes and 11 seconds of one helluva rock song. What a perfect single to introduce "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb." The anticipation for the new album just got raised a notch, boys and girls.

Just give me what I want and no one gets hurt.

Wow! This song has a great beat and great tempo! I like how Edge is using his old rifts and the band seems to have gone back a little to their early days.

However, that can be the down side to this song. U2 sounds like some of the punk bands that are out now, and U2 has always done their own thing. I was skeptical when I heard Bono say that the band was going punk with this new album, because that meant they were going with the trends in rock music, and U2 has never done really that.

But I'm sure the new album would have its own distinctive sound that is completely U2's. And I don't think the band has gone back entirely to their punk band days. They're a band that has always evolved and tried new things, so this album would not be like their other releases.

Besides, "Vertigo" had a very cool sound, you could even dance to it, and I'm already starting to analyze the lyrics. The more I listen to it, the more I'll like it.

And I'm sure I'm going to enjoy HTDAAB :hyper:

isn't it great, rock and roll is back in town! Did anybody write down the lyrics yet? Thanks.

and edit to add, there is something so exciting about hearing rock and roll music again where someone is actually playing instruments and it's not drum machines and electronica with people that lip sync.

Music so needs U2.

Last edited:
This tune will bring back some of the old school U2 fans -
This is the song U2 could have played 20 years ago had they had all of today's technology.
All that is missing is a spinning bike tire with a playing card in the spokes and some broken glass.

We loves it precioussssss, oh yessss, :drool:

It sounds very recognisably U2 and very fresh at the same time if that makes sense. It's not "deep" and doesn't bear much scrutiny as such, but boy is it fun. And it has a great freewheeling feel about it that ATYCLB's tightly controlled songs didn't, which is a nice change even if I love ATYCLB dearly.

All this talk of the next album being U2's "Who's Next" kinda makes sense now cause the song does remind me of Who vaguely. Love the energy, the attitude and the Spanish. The chorus is an absolute killer and catchy as hell; and the whole song is full of nice mini-hooks. Bono sounds great, except I feel like he's running out of breath in the middle where he sings about "boys with guitars", but that doesn't ruin it.

My son (27) ask me if it really mattered. That even if it wasn't good - I would love it anyway. That was a question I could answer without hesitation. I may not like it at first (which didn't happen) but I had no doubt I would come to understand and then love it. Then it played :sexywink: He was on the phone to his friend who is a U2 fan - telling him about it. I am just beyond words so I'll just say ditto to everyone's post ( especially Reggie Thee Dog and Sting2) :up:

This lyric is brilliant:

And though your soul
It can't be bought
Your mind can wander

And I LOVE the background of "Hola" and Como Esta?" I don't think any U2 song has ever been this much fun. That's the groundbreaking part.

Last edited:
Sexy and powerfull...they were having lots of fun, for sure. They all sound in great shape, definitely. Love the bits in spanish.

Somehow it reminds me of their Won´t Get Fooled Again cover, from Irving Plaza...same freshness, same fun.

Gotta love the song, gotta love these guys :yes:

MT

MrBrau1 said:
This lyric is brilliant:

And though your soul
It can't be bought
Your mind can wander

And I LOVE the background of "Hola" and Como Esta?" I don't think any U2 song has ever been this much fun. That's the groundbreaking part.

100% agree. I love the lyrics, they flow so well with the song. I think for a flat out rocker like this, the length of the song is perfect. It certain parts are dragged out longer, people will get sick of it quicker. And trust me, this will get TONS of airplay.

It seemed that my friend found it necessary to phone me at 9am this morning to play me vertigo in it's entirety over my mobile phone - that was of course after staying up till 6am previously listening to that crappy Croatian radio vertigo

On three hours sleep I think I tried to shout to him that he was sooo behind the times but I think he had just put his phone by the radio - so hung up on him, switched my phone off and went back to sleep :)

When I woke up i had about three messages from different people asking if I knew that triple m were playing "a new u2 song" – friends :rolleyes: :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom