Am I on the wrong board?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wertsie

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
:rant:I have to admit that over the last few days (particularly since we got our first taste of Electrical Storm) it has felt that way. God, if I didn't know any better, I would almost say that this was an ANTI-U2 board. Now, I'm not saying that we should all agree on everything. I love discussion just as much as anyone, but it's kind of disheartening to come on a board for your favorite band and see it covered with threads like "should U2 hang it up?" and "how to make Electrical Storm better."

Why are we always focusing on what we DON'T like? Don't care for POP? Fine, but why waste energy complaining about it?

Arg, that's all I have to say about this right now. Just had to get that off my chest.:rant:

The comments on Electrical Storm have been overwhelmingly positive. To have a small minority voice thoughtful opinions on what they don't like about Electrical Storm enhances the quality of discussion here and provides a different perspective. It's sort of like being a fan of your favorite sports team;some people always are optimistic/positive about a team's performance, others tend to be more sullen when things aren't to their liking. In either case, there is strong devotion, just a different kind that merely reflects the differences in people. I don't understand why some people think that just because this is a U2 site, there must be unanimous support for everything that U2 does.

Karl

karl said:
I don't understand why some people think that just because this is a U2 site, there must be unanimous support for everything that U2 does.

Karl

That's not what I'm saying at all. I know that not everyone is going to like everything, but it just seems like recently there has been more negativity than usual.

Right Werstie! I was just going to say something like that! I want to add too that I am so tired of One Tree Still and pinkfloyd saying stink things about ATYCLB!! If they don't like it can't they just, like go hate it in their room or something? I'm really sick of hearing about it! It's so old already! :scream: :banghead: Everybody knows you guys don't like it. So go listen to a cd you DO like!! Let's talk good things about the band! :happy:

ok , here's the deal , nobody talks bad about any U2 albums , no hate , nothing , ???????????????????????????????????

It's a diverse world so why should that change on a U2 board? We all have different thoughts, opinions and views on life and music... so just 'cause we come in here doesn't mean we have to LOVE everything U2 does.
I am one of the people that has been more negative towards "Electrical Storm" and I will tell you why. While I am the kind of U2 fan that likes pretty much everything they put out, it doesn't mean I don't have an opinion or believe that some songs are way better than others. I am disappointed with ES. It's boring. It's flat. It lacks feeling and soul. However, it is still an ok song. I still love U2. I was just hoping for a little more. There is nothing wrong with having high expectations and discussing things. Nothing. Bono was rumoured as saying they were working on a Punk Rock album. ES is a top 40 song. I am tired of top 40 U2, but it's not my decision to make, it's theres. I respect their choices and styles... but I don't always have to agree.

_____
:wave: Once again the debate about U2 fans continues.......

Last edited:
A Microcosm ,a reflection...does get a bit scary eh?

:hug: wertsie
You are definitely not on the wrong board.
Man melts the sand so he can see the world outside...just how 'tis.
Diversity of opinion, we need that. Vitriol and negativitiy we do not, but they exist.
I have a sneaking suspicion that:adam: :bono: :larry: :edge: know who truly loves them and their music. They sleep surounded by:heart: and:angel: I hope you do to.

I haven't heard it yet. I am waiting until U2 have reached a point with the song that they feel sastisfied. I know how dodgy a song can sound in it's early stages and I think it's a bit wrong to be savaging a demo. I don't know. I just love people making music, they can bang a stick on a log...if it's got rhythm and heart, it's valid to me.
oh dear, does that make u feel better or worse wertsie?
:lmao: over and out
just to re -iterate, this IS the right board...at least I hope so

wertsie said:

That's not what I'm saying at all. I know that not everyone is going to like everything, but it just seems like recently there has been more negativity than usual.

I've had a bit of the same feeling at times.......I must blame the Labelathon From Hell at work (can you say "must make 3,000 children's books labels at the library"?) for some of the blahs. I understand we're not going to automatically give the stamp of approval to everything U2 does, and I don't even like that idea. It's not fair. If we are going to let them be human let them screw up on something and it's OK.......maybe you don't like Pop or whatever. But when I see some of the names of some of the threads.......it's sort of depressing. I just may have an identity crisis. :laugh: :laugh: :shocked: :shocked: :silent:

wertsie said:
:rant:I have to admit that over the last few days (particularly since we got our first taste of Electrical Storm) it has felt that way. God, if I didn't know any better, I would almost say that this was an ANTI-U2 board. Now, I'm not saying that we should all agree on everything. I love discussion just as much as anyone, but it's kind of disheartening to come on a board for your favorite band and see it covered with threads like "should U2 hang it up?" and "how to make Electrical Storm better."

Why are we always focusing on what we DON'T like? Don't care for POP? Fine, but why waste energy complaining about it?

Arg, that's all I have to say about this right now. Just had to get that off my chest.:rant:
I expressed the same sentiment in another thread.

and a regular member bitched at me for it.

go figure. I so fucking happy with ES (and having some new U2), that I don't care if I'm the only one left who loves U2. In fact, in some ways, I'd prefer it. ;)

Angel said:
It's a diverse world so why should that change on a U2 board? We all have different thoughts, opinions and views on life and music... so just 'cause we come in here doesn't mean we have to LOVE everything U2 does.

I agree we don't have to agree on everthing but since I joined in May (not so long) it has gotten more and more negative, especially recently(this also true on other boards like wire). It seems the majority of the posts are made by someone with something negative to say. Maybe it is in relation to the length of time since we saw them live. Their performances always transcend the music. Personally, I joined to receive affirmation of my love and regard (maybe obsession) for the band.

That's my opinion, I could be wrong. (D.M.)

Re: Re: Am I on the wrong board?

Tip Top Prince said:

I expressed the same sentiment in another thread.

and a regular member bitched at me for it.

go figure. I so fucking happy with ES (and having some new U2), that I don't care if I'm the only one left who loves U2. In fact, in some ways, I'd prefer it. ;)

Really? What was the topic of the thread?

You're not the only one who still loves U2.

I :heart: U2 always!

Scarletwine said:
Angel said:
Maybe it is in relation to the length of time since we saw them live. Their performances always transcend the music. Personally, I joined to receive affirmation of my love and regard (maybe obsession) for the band.

That's my opinion, I could be wrong. (D.M.)

I don't know, but that's an interesting theory.

Ooh...before I say anything else...great pic in your sigy!

And besides, if I wanted to complain about someone, it would be someone who SHOULD be used in the same sentence as words like "sucky" like, oh, Britney Spears, for example!

Scarletwine said:
I agree we don't have to agree on everthing but since I joined in May (not so long) it has gotten more and more negative, especially recently(this also true on other boards like wire). It seems the majority of the posts are made by someone with something negative to say. Maybe it is in relation to the length of time since we saw them live.

Well said... however, you will find that the more U2 is active and releasing music, touring or whatever, you will find that there are more debates and opinions floating around the board. Underneath it alll the love is still there.
(I am starting to enjoy ES now... it's just not what I was hoping for....)
Anyway. *Raises glass --> To diversity. :)

Angel said:

Well said... however, you will find that the more U2 is active and releasing music, touring or whatever, you will find that there are more debates and opinions floating around the board. Underneath it alll the love is still there.
(I am starting to enjoy ES now... it's just not what I was hoping for....)
Anyway. *Raises glass --> To diversity. :)

Hey, just out of curiosity, who are the first two guys in your sigy? :happy:

Generally I found that most of the fan discussions on the net (U2-related and otherwise) have more negative stuff than positive. I reckon it's just this whole love and hate being the two sides of the same coin kind of thing. In the Buffy group I used to frequent, most of the posts were about ripping the weekly episodes apart and basically people whingeing on how the show used to be soo much better.

You are on the right board ...

This board is designed to expose U2's failures and successes. Pop just happens to be one of the few failures we can actually discuss about.

Cheers,

J

zooropamanda said:
oh please
pop was far from a failure
you go record a fucking awesome album like it

i :heart: the cowgirl.

give me a break with this "we shouldn't be so negative" crap. the only reason people debate so passionately here is because they LOVE u2. i don't see what the big deal is.

:rolleyes:

Screaming Flower said:

i :heart: the cowgirl.

give me a break with this "we shouldn't be so negative" crap. the only reason people debate so passionately here is because they LOVE u2. i don't see what the big deal is.

:rolleyes:

If they LOVE U2 so much, then why so much focus on the negative?

I love my wife. Picture this scenario:

"You hair sucks today. Why can't you do it like last week?"
"That meal was ok, but yesterday's was much better. Why can't you cook like that every night?"
"That outfit you are wearing is a dismal failure"

It's not necessary, IMO.

Re: You are on the right board ...

jick said:
This board is designed to expose U2's failures and successes. Pop just happens to be one of the few failures we can actually discuss about.

Cheers,

J

Maybe that's your opinion, but that doesn't mean it's the truth.

If we all love U2 so much, what's with the threads with titles like, "Why ATYCLB sucks the big one" or "Should U2 hang it up?"

I mean, somebody might have a different point of view if someone starts a thread with a topic like "I think JT is the best U2 album" but why start an entire thread whose entire purpose is to be negative?

:lol: @ Tip Top Prince's comments. I was thinking along the same lines.

Tip Top Prince said:

If they LOVE U2 so much, then why so much focus on the negative?

I love my wife. Picture this scenario:

"You hair sucks today. Why can't you do it like last week?"
"That meal was ok, but yesterday's was much better. Why can't you cook like that every night?"
"That outfit you are wearing is a dismal failure"

It's not necessary, IMO.

you love u2 the same way you love your wife?

:scratch:

Back
Top Bottom