ALBUM 13 - DOUBLE LP or NOT ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree the last few months has seen U2 ridiculously oversaturated in the media.

err perhaps in media articles turning up on the internet U2 fan radar, but everyday general media elsewhere in the real world? nopety nope :D

err perhaps in media articles turning up on the internet U2 fan radar, but everyday general media elsewhere in the real world? nopety nope :D

Plus you can only count the media in America here in the UK theres been hardly any mention at all. No promotion for the singles apart from a couple of radio interviews and a few pictures of them after the oscars but that was all down to the photobombing.

Hardly anyone i know knew u2 had a new song out.

True...but the Beatles were at that prime under a decade into their career. They just got better and better and finally broke up, mainly because of ego issues. They were about into their JT, R&H, AB era when they broke up.

No. By the last album they had to resort to leftovers for the entire second half. Abbey Road gets the loving for sentimental reasons because it was the last record, but there are better Beatle albums.

They weren't about to do anything ... no way Lennon or Harrison would be up for any more records after Abbey Road.

No. By the last album they had to resort to leftovers for the entire second half. Abbey Road gets the loving for sentimental reasons because it was the last record, but there are better Beatle albums.

They weren't about to do anything ... no way Lennon or Harrison would be up for any more records after Abbey Road.

Wasnt let it be the last beatles record?

There is no comparing an act like U2 to an act like The Beatles or Hendrix or any number of great artists who were done, via break up or death, before they had a chance to grow old.

There's never been a band that has been around for this long with the same original lineup, zero interruptions, and still as successful as they are.

They are a band in uncharted territory.

You can argue that there have been better bands, or more popular bands... but you can not argue that there's ever been a band in their original formation who's been as popular for as long as U2 has been.

Even The Beatles... As great as they were...

I think some if Paul McCartney's most recent work is some of his best since he left The Beatles... but there are some absolute stinkers in between. Same with Lennon... some great solo songs immediately after the Beatles... then a few stinkers. If looked like he was on the verge of turning it back around when he died.

This single brilliant post allows me to tolerate the horrid Eli avatar that burns my eyes each time I see your Interference moniker.

Haha true. As a rule, I never consciously listen to early U2 followed by their more recent output, as the gulf is disheartening to my ears to say the least. Is it even fair to compare today's U2 with their Eighties/early Nineties heyday? Maybe it would be better to assess a song like Invisible by saying it's better than most of Bomb, than saying it isn't even worthy to wipe Achtung Baby's ass.

Really?

Baby, baby, baby...
baby, baby, baby...
baby, baby, baby, light my way

oh baby, baby, baby...
baby, baby, baby...

oh come on,
baby, baby, baby...
baby, baby, baby,

repeat ad nauseum

Really?

Baby, baby, baby...

baby, baby, baby...

oh baby, baby, baby...

baby, baby, baby...

oh come on,

baby, baby, baby...

baby, baby, baby,

repeat ad nauseum

Baby, can we still be friends?

A friend of mine that works in Time 4 Fun, the production company that brought U2 to Chile in 2011, tells me they should be here in Summer 2015, that's January/February.

Really?

Baby, baby, baby...
baby, baby, baby...

oh baby, baby, baby...
baby, baby, baby...

oh come on,
baby, baby, baby...
baby, baby, baby,

repeat ad nauseum

Ultraviolet is one of the heaviest songs the band has ever written. The lyrical "throwaway" elements were part of the (very conscious) antithesis to the 80s take-themselves-too-seriously, holier-than-thou U2 persona. And I've parenthesized the word throwaway because in the thematic context of the song, the "baby" parts actually worked brilliantly. Ultraviolet paints a picture of a man at the of his rope. Of utter despair. And boy, does it Munch the shit out of that picture!

I agree the last few months has seen U2 ridiculously oversaturated in the media. And for what? Album announcement? Um nope. Tour announcement? Nopety nope. Are they planning to do another media onslaught in just 3-6 months time? I'm guessing that most people who are "on the fence" about U2 probably wouldn't mind if they fucked off from their TV screens for another three years. If/when U2 show up again later this year, they're likely to be greeted by a wave of apathetic groans. Load blown prematurely.

Does it ever get boring to be so ridiculously negative in every single one of your posts?

Ultraviolet is one of the heaviest songs the band has ever written. The lyrical "throwaway" elements were part of the (very conscious) antithesis to the 80s take-themselves-too-seriously, holier-than-thou U2 persona. And I've parenthesized the word throwaway because in the thematic context of the song, the "baby" parts actually worked brilliantly. Ultraviolet paints a picture of a man at the of his rope. Of utter despair. And boy, does it Munch the shit out of that picture!

Bono is that you with the superhyperbole?

It's heavier than it appears on it's surface but it wouldn't even rank in the top 15 on the heavy scale.

U2 are going to release one album but the package will be covered in a psychotropic substance developed for them by Bono's Illuminati brothers and it will make available to our ears sounds that are normally only able to be heard by reptilians.

U2 are going to release one album but the package will be covered in a psychotropic substance developed for them by Bono's Illuminati brothers and it will make available to our ears sounds that are normally only able to be heard by reptilians.

No more shrooms for you...

Hey, that Chile rumour it's the same I got regarding Brazilian concerts... They're back for the first months of 2015 (February-april), more likely to be feb, just like the vertigo tour.. Which means that they only have this next semester (2014) for an american/European tour (or promo tour).

Or they'll use their time travellers abilities to bring the elevation tour to South America.

This single brilliant post allows me to tolerate the horrid Eli avatar that burns my eyes each time I see your Interference moniker.

tumblr_m3l34dyR1Q1qanm80o1_500.jpg

A friend of mine that works in Time 4 Fun, the production company that brought U2 to Chile in 2011, tells me they should be here in Summer 2015, that's January/February.

Interesting.

Totally hate to be that guy because I really can't say anything at all, but came into some information this week that jives with this.

Popacrocat, Then if U2 are touring South America in early 2015, say nothing at all! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom