Album 13: Are We Gonna Wait Forever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm actively rooting for U2 to not win the Oscar.

If they win the Oscar, they'll consider that RELEVANT and feel confident enough to release the album they have.

If they LOSE the Oscar, they'll feel like failures and go back and do another 6 months of tweaking on the album.

THEY MUST WIN!

But if the album is truly not done (which by all accounts it sounds like it's sure not done), then they have nothing to release right away.

I don't think them winning or losing the Oscar is going to have one iota of impact on their finishing of the album.

It still might take them 6 months (I strongly doubt that, though), but that won't be because of the Oscar.

I mean, maybe if they win they'll throw it on the album, but ...... eh.

I mentioned it before...I don't think these pop songs that are tacked on to the end credits of a film should be eligible. I'd rather see songs nominated that were actually sung as part of the story of the film...or at a minimum, something that was played during the film itself that made an artistic contribution to the story. "Let it Go" plays a crucial role in Frozen and is a big part of the story. Other than U2 saying the song is about Mandela (a dubious claim IMO) the song contributes absolutely nothing to that movie, and in fact the movie would play exactly the same (but for the credits) without the song. So how does that add to the film at all? I don't know, that's kind of lame to me, and not fair to the artists who actually worked at making a piece of music that was part of a film's story and contributed to the final on-screen product in a meaningful away.

The way U2's song is being considered, it's more like a Grammy...an award for the song itself, but not how good it works in terms of the film. There really should be a distinction, and I actually hope that's something the Academy voters keep in mind, because while I like U2's song better than any of the other songs (I guess), I don't think they deserve to win (though they probably will).

Ok that makes sense.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 because the Nexus 5 just wasn't big enough.

I mentioned it before...I don't think these pop songs that are tacked on to the end credits of a film should be eligible. I'd rather see songs nominated that were actually sung as part of the story of the film...or at a minimum, something that was played during the film itself that made an artistic contribution to the story. "Let it Go" plays a crucial role in Frozen and is a big part of the story. Other than U2 saying the song is about Mandela (a dubious claim IMO) the song contributes absolutely nothing to that movie, and in fact the movie would play exactly the same (but for the credits) without the song. So how does that add to the film at all? I don't know, that's kind of lame to me, and not fair to the artists who actually worked at making a piece of music that was part of a film's story and contributed to the final on-screen product in a meaningful away.

The way U2's song is being considered, it's more like a Grammy...an award for the song itself, but not how good it works in terms of the film. There really should be a distinction, and I actually hope that's something the Academy voters keep in mind, because while I like U2's song better than any of the other songs (I guess), I don't think they deserve to win (though they probably will).

While I take your point, there are virtually no movie musicals that aren't animated, so the crop of song nomineeswould be slim pickings.

I don't know how the creative/recording process works

I'm in a band that used to record original songs

I don't see what can be so hard about getting to work, developing some songs and writing some lyrics, and then recording it.

OUR SONGS ARE NOT AS GOOD AS U2'S SONGS

we practice once a month

When you read all those sentences in a row - and take in that these guys are nearly twice as old as you - it sort of starts to make sense, doesn't it?

I'm not tryin to diss, and yes I do think they're taking a long time but lets face it, your method didn't really work out for you, did it? And theirs does, for the most part. :shrug:

I think it doesn't matter if they win, but if they do, it'll be great for promotion and maybe that will speed things up for the album.

But I don't think they're waiting for the Oscars to work. Whatever promotion they're doing right now it doesn't matter, because the votes were counted weeks ago.

Yes. It seems clear that releasing a big announcement all over the press about the Mandelas attending is part of a voting campaign. I assume the other films are doing the same.

I don't think them winning or losing the Oscar is going to have one iota of impact on their finishing of the album.

Exactly. Besides, I think they know they have very little chance of winning. Bono also said so in recent interviews and on the Fallon show. The world won't come to an end for U2 if they don't win. Being nominated alone is an honor and all the fuss surrounding it, plus winning a golden globe, should give them enough confidence to finish the album as soon as possible and stop thinking about relevance.

I usually don't care about the Oscars much, but they get a large amount of media coverage everywhere. I don't watch the show and I'm not much into movies. But I'm looking forward to seeing U2 perform, that's all.

U2 are going back to the drawing board for the album because of Invisibles tepid response

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

U2 are going back to the drawing board for the album because of Invisibles tepid response

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

I really hope they drop "Invisible" from the new album. It's not a bad song,
but every single track on this new album must be great and fresh.

Anyone else wish that "Invisible" not be included on the album ?

I guess my expectations are too high...oh well

Lillywhite has said repeatedly that he has nothing to do with the project. I doubt he'll come in at this late of a date. Besides, Bono's in LA today, was in DC yesterday....that doesnt sound like someone who's still "in the studio". Edge is playing with the final mixes if anything. :up:

They're not done.

U2 Open Up About New Album After Historic Rooftop 'Tonight Show' Gig | David Fricke | Rolling Stone

The Edge gets up to leave. The band is flying back to Dublin right away – they have an album to finish. When asked, as he is about to go out the door, if the album has a title, The Edge replies, "Not yet. We have a few." He laughs "That's the problem."

Oscars win will not push the album. The reaction to Invisible might. And Lillywhite's not on board.

I hear you but I think Invisible is too good of a song to not appear on the album.

Invisible should be on the album, but with the sing-a-long live mixed in the last part of the song. The song was edited, so I expect a longer, fresh version on the album.:up:

They have the look of a band who isn't in a hurry to get recording done...

Which means

A) the recording phase is done, a subtle tweak here or there, and they are mixing the album... and are having issues coming up with the right mixes (a known u2 issue from the past) on those last couple of songs (edge has already said that 7 are mixed and ready)

or

B ) late 2014 at the earliest.

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

I mentioned it before...I don't think these pop songs that are tacked on to the end credits of a film should be eligible.
Sounds to me like your problem with the song is that it was nominated in the first place.
I don't think all your posts on how the song probably doesn't even have anything to do with Mandela are gonna change the fact that nominated it is and remains.

When you read all those sentences in a row - and take in that these guys are nearly twice as old as you - it sort of starts to make sense, doesn't it?

I'm not tryin to diss, and yes I do think they're taking a long time but lets face it, your method didn't really work out for you, did it? And theirs does, for the most part. :shrug:

HAHA! Well put, I didn't really think that through so well. :doh:

My point was along the lines of I know what it's like to collaborate with others on writing songs, and what the recording process is like. Some of what we did was pretty good, and maybe a producer could've made it better. I just can't see what could possibly take so much time, when that their job, and one that they make millions of dollars doing. But, at the same time, they've earned the right to take it easy and slow down their pace. I hope when I'm 53 I don't have to work as hard as I do right now... ugh. I get a little impatient, it's a negative quality of mine I try to work on. Ultimately, whenever they decide to release it, I'm gonna buy it, and I'm gonna love it, and I'll be anticipating the tour!

Disclaimer: I'm also not one of those washed up musician guys who still thinks he's gonna MAKE IT. We ultimately weren't good enough and didn't want it bad enough to make it happen. My life has turned out well in spite of that. Once everybody in the band realized, at different times through different ways, that we weren't going to MAKE IT, we just decided to have fun and do it as a hobby and an extension of our friendships.

They could accomplish the same thing you're talking about by putting one more track on it than they normally would have. In the U.S. we got 11 tracks on the last three albums. So they go 12 this time and include Invisible.

That said, I'd favor probably leaving off Ordinary Love either way, just for the sake of having at least 10, maybe 11 brand new songs.

It doesn't take much time at all to write and record quality stuff. The only difference is the confidence you have in the material.

That's true for everyone. Including a band called U2 that wrote an album called The Joshua Tree in about 9 months. All the album tracks, all those B-sides. 18 or 19 full songs. Less than a year. Achtung was about twice that long, about a year and a half.

Now consider that Danger Mouse was first reported as working with U2 nearly 3.5 years ago. It's just that U2, these days, are agonizingly insecure.

I'm not complaining about this. They can wait until 2015 for all I care.
At this point, I think it's probably their last album anyway.

Sounds to me like your problem with the song is that it was nominated in the first place.
I don't think all your posts on how the song probably doesn't even have anything to do with Mandela are gonna change the fact that nominated it is and remains.

Well, um, yes, that's what I said. I don't think the song should have been nominated. It could be Moment of Surrender that was nominated, which I think is U2's best song in 20 years, and I'd feel exactly the same way.

It's clear that the song has been "nominated and remains"...to state the obvious. Of course, the Academy rules are the rules, and that's fine. These pop songs by A list bands that are thrown over the end credits to sell soundtrack records are able to be nominated, so that's their business. I just personally don't think it's fair to the artists that genuinely work with the filmmakers to create songs that add to the dramatic narrative of the movie have to compete with mega bands like U2. Maybe if these throwaway songs tacked onto movies weren't able to be nominated, there would be an opportunity for more of these artists to get the credit they deserve. I personally don't think U2 needs yet another award for a song that even most die hard fans concede is average at best (though again the quality of the song really isn't the issue).

But yes, there's a good chance that U2 fans will get what they want, the song will win an Oscar, and all will be right with the world.

Let It Go sounds exactly like every Disney ballad ever and there are countless better ones. I think every one of the 90s films (+ Little Mermaid) has at least two songs in it that are better than Let It Go. Ordinary Love is safe too, but it isn't getting praised all the time like Let It Go, so I don't have to pretend it's something special.

Happy and Moon Song are better than either of those options but have no chance.

Last edited:
Even if they do, as expected, release an album in mid-later 2014, their following album won't be until 2018 or so. They just don't release albums much anymore. It's a shame.

Even if they do, as expected, release an album in mid-later 2014, their following album won't be until 2018 or so. They just don't release albums much anymore. It's a shame.

Yeah the tour will go from, say, October this year until the end of next year.. so they will take 2016 off, start work the next year and if we're lucky the next album will be out by end of 2018. But if the tour is extended, forget that.

I disagree. I think this is U2's last album this decade.

Back
Top Bottom