Adam's dislike of u2 lyrics?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
i was listening to the songs from October, and got a-thinking. I wonder what Adam's thoughts on the lyrics from October album were like AT THE TIME. I'm sure he can appricate them now, looking back...but at the time he was the only one that was not a dedicated Christian. SOOOO many of the lyrics on that album are spiritual in nature.
I am the guitar player in a band now, and i must say, that i am very opinionated, and critical, of the lyrics our singer write. I know that he has to sing them and thus they should be personal, but i cannot just do the hands-off approach. the reality is that those lyrics are reperenting all four of us in the band, so even if i don't have to sing them, i think they should be an outlet for my voice/thoughts/feeling/beliefs as well. Or at least not a total contrdiction of my thoughts/feelings/beliefs.

I may just be weird and be a control freak when it comes to my band, but i just wonder what Adam thought about by his music be reperented with those lyrics, which he could not relate to.

anyone, comments...

I'm in a band too, but as long as he's letting you play the bass you want, I'd let him write the lyrics he wants and that he'll feel like singing passionately in front of people.

It's hard being in a band and keeping everyone happy, but if everyone knows their place and their part, you'll have a much better chance.

If you don't dig the tunes you guys are playing, find another band you'll feel better about playing in. There a huge shortage of bass players out there. Pick and choose...

Good luck

I am sure that Adam didn't care what he said (or sung) as long as the band kept playing.

Adam might share the same views on the lyrics as me, with me being anti-religon, anti-god etc.

Ok, October may be saturated in religious connotations, but the combination of words sounds brilliant, nevermind the meaning.

I still love October and still appreciate Bono despite his religious mumbo jumbo

Well having done my fair share of finding and posting articles/interviews about Adam on the old Zootopia site at U2.com, I've got a lot of insight into him, (I mean as much as you can from writing/reading the words of someone else.)

Propaganda circa 1986, he named October as his fave U2 album. They only had 4 albums by then, but out of those, that was his pick. October is the most blatantly 'spiritual/religious' album of U2.

To say Adam was anti-God, anti-religion might be a bit extreme. Think it was more, he respected what the other 3 believed, and a quite a few of those around him in school, just wasn't his thing.

he recently (2003)said his fave was Achtung Baby though.

Last edited:
In interviews, when the subject of his believes was brought up, Adam basically states that his believes have a more spritual basis than religious one.

I have also read quotes from other members of the band saying the same thing, most noteably (sp?) Bill Falanagan's book.

Back
Top Bottom