"A man and a woman" the "MIAMI" of this album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
James U2 said:
While I do like A Man And A Woman, I must admit that it is the one song on the album that makes me think, "Uh oh, U2 just took their first step into 'adult contemporary' territory. Watch out Sting!"

Yikes.

james

I agree with the Adult Contemporary description. AMAAW is my LEAST favourite song on this album. It sounds like a song my parents would like ...eeewww. :yuck:

But I LOVE Miami!!!

When U2 were 28 they were making music my parents would love.

I don't know why people think AMAW is adult contempary. I think it's a mid tempo track, but it also has a very soulful and sensual side to it.

Last edited:
Zoomerang96 said:
miami is one of the better u2 songs ever, and those who don't "get it" are usually the same ones who "don't get" music that isn't constructed for the listening pleasure of soccer moms.

Ah yes, the old "you don't get it" argument.

Never mind art - and music as a part of it, surely - is something for the heart, not mind. It's about loving/liking it, not getting it. It's not science!

I like A man and a woman, I agree with the In a little while analogy. I will say as for the IALW/Wild honey couple, I enjoy the ABOY/A man and a woman follow-up songs. I also agree that it's probably about Bono and Ali's relationship, kind of a mature, adult love song.

There's better songs on the album, but there's also worse songs on it. It is nowhere near the lameness that is Miami.

Last edited:
Aardvark747 said:

I wondered when Id see you comment on this one!

Anyway...you were STARTING to 'get it' yesterday werent you...?!:wink:
Well i did'nt want to disapoint you:wink: .Yes the song is better the more i've listened to it,but still find it a bit of a non event,i'll keep tryin' though:wink:

only in the sense that both are the most creative songs in their albuns, although in totally different ways.

love both songs

"Miami" is 1000 times better than "A Man and a Woman." The lyrics. The beat. The bass line. It is better in every conceivable way. In fact, I'm going to go listen to it right now!

Zoomerang96 said:
miami is one of the better u2 songs ever, and those who don't "get it" are usually the same ones who "don't get" music that isn't constructed for the listening pleasure of soccer moms.

That's a HUGE assumption. Just because people don't like a song, doesn't mean they don't "get it." They probably think it's a lousy song.

riteshbhatt1 said:
That's a HUGE assumption. Just because people don't like a song, doesn't mean they don't "get it." They probably think it's a lousy song.

Thank you.

I take offense when people assume that because you don't like something, you are somehow inferior. I "get" Miami, I just don't like it.

BluRmGrl - You didn't bore me to tears with what you said, even though i haven't been in a relationship for a while! I thought it sounded very sweet and thought-provoking. I've always had all those romantic ideals going around in my head about being with someone, the cards&flowers, etc but yep, the way you are treated and things like that DO matter more. After getting to the age i've got to, you kind of begin to understand that!

I really am loving this song very much, it's gorgeous and very sensual and i can still appreciate listening to this type of music even when not with someone :cute:

ohhhhhhh this song sucks people.... I mean when you hear a U2 song and the first thing you think of is "Chick Flick" that is a bad sign.:eyebrow:

I can see Jude Law driving down the highway thinking of Julia Roberts with this song playing in the background.:barf:

This is definitely one of my favs - although not in a relationship, I crave the kind of thing this song is about, so I guess that's why it got to me immediately.

Also, I very much like the fact that this song - and in fact, the album as a whole, is "adult". Maybe b/c I'm not that much younger than the band - but I appreciate that they can make great music that can appeal to all ages, and be "cool" without having to pretend to be in their teens or in their 20s. There's nothing wrong with being mature (not to be confused with old and out of date).

I find this song kind of painful to listen to. I tried to like it but it sounds so cheesy and lounge-like that I find myself skipping over it when it comes on. It's the only song on the whole CD I don't really like. I think they should have replaced it with Fast Cars. Love that one!

I'm starting to view this song as a distant cousin to 'Walk to the Water'. Sonically, they don't have a whole lot in common. But, that was also a very mature song about relationships (or the denial of one), and it was an earlier U2 foray into very serious, bass-heavy lounge-pop songwriting (which is a style near and dear to my heart).

My favorite moment in 'A Man And A Woman' is Edge's backing vocal at 2:23, right when Bono sings 'it makes me want to lose myself'. God, it's perfect. Another aspect of it that I love is that it seems to be a very spare song on the surface. There's a lot of space between the bass and the guitars and the strings. But, in the background of the verses are all these dark little guitar and synth flourishes.

And the descending scale Adam hits during the bridge is unlike anything he's done before. This song is just magnificent. If there were any justice in radio, this thing would be a number one hit and Bono's wish for it would come true. Maybe somebody will have the sense/courage to release it as a single.

Last edited:
I don't vehemently hate it like I do Staring At The Sun, but I don't particularly like it, either. "The mysterious distance" line just comes off as trite, whereas "All because of you" and " You all look so beautiful tonight" lyrics do not, so I guess it's just not my brand of schtick. Any of them could potentially cause a GIMME me a BREAK reaction. AMAAW is the only song I skip.

I enjoy Miami and never skip that.

U2girl said:

Ah yes, the old "you don't get it" argument.

Never mind art - and music as a part of it, surely - is something for the heart, not mind. It's about loving/liking it, not getting it. It's not science!

I like A man and a woman, I agree with the In a little while analogy. I will say as for the IALW/Wild honey couple, I enjoy the ABOY/A man and a woman follow-up songs. I also agree that it's probably about Bono and Ali's relationship, kind of a mature, adult love song.

There's better songs on the album, but there's also worse songs on it. It is nowhere near the lameness that is Miami.

exactly. you DON'T get it.

I dont think there is any bad songs on this record and A man and a woman is excellent in my opinion, nothing corny about the lyrics at all....if you were a rock star and were away from your family all the time I think if you were honest with yourself that youde probably say some of the same things this song is saying.

I like it a lot.

I am reviving this thread because I still think this is the most controversial song in an album since MIAMI. Not because they sound similar but because so many folks disagree on AMAAW.

This song rocks in the sense that it is good. :wink:

I cant believe more folks dont like this tune. Its the new WOWY for the encore baby. MARK my words.

I like MIAMI too but in controlled doses.

a man and a woman is a really nice song.

i still like miami, but both have their place. these comparisons are retarded.

Back
Top Bottom