a few sensitive subjects...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

singleminute

The Fly
right i dont know if its just me but did anyone like 'pop' or the tours that went with it? personally i was glad to see that U2 could still change and diversify while remaining quite close to their roots.
the next thing...i dont like atyclb that much, i felt that album didnt rock enough..it just sounded like that they were so caught up about going 'back to their roots' that at points the album and certain never quite peaked..dont get me i like it just not as much as previous albums.
did anyone feel annoyed that more or less all of the elevation concerts were in closed areana's (pardon my spelling). i loved the show i went too just as much as the pop mart show i went too but i would have loved to see and hear something like elevation pumping a town like leeds full of U2 goodness. i just feel that a indoor show loses some of its atmosphere. :wave:

oh yeah forget to say one last thing. dont you think its a shame that the band themselves had to put 'pop' down as a mistake? i know that 'please' was such a good single but it sounded crap on the album and one of the reasons i think disliked it...it sounded rushed in places..:eyebrow:

I loved the Pop era but really thought Popmart didn't work. Too big, too rushed, too excessive and it was like they couldn't fill up the space. I can't explain. Mind you, I could hardly see anything despite the enormity of the stage and set from where my seat was. But that isn't necessarily the band's fault.
I also didn't like ATYCLB, much for the same reasons you didn't. We never got Elevation here, but from what everyone has said it sounds like the arenas were the perfect setting and complimented the style of the album/era.
I think U2 peaked at AB/ZooTV. I loved the sound and what they created with that tour. Pop was great, Zooropa also fantastic. Popmart I think was just a little too big and if I recall they had trouble with preparation at its commencement. ATYCLB seemed to go in reverse and had a tour to match that. I can't say about the Elevation tour but it sounds like it worked. I can't really recall ever hearing a bad word about it.
It will be interesting to see what happens next, thats for sure.

ATYCLB had Kite on it, one of U2 finest moments, therefore, it is a good record. I think U2 are turning into their songwriting for the remainder of their career. There will be no grand statement, no drastic experiments, just songs, and I for 1 think it's the perferct way for this band to finish.

Groovy! I'm really surprised that it's been months instead of weeks that some "newbie" :eyebrow: doesn't bring this same, old tired subject up. If I didn't know better I'd swear it was the same bored desperate guy every time :rolleyes: But I don't know better, but what does it matter? We all have our opinions but I am right sure his is in the minority. Most of us loved the way Elevation worked. I loved it being intimate and we got close to the band to share something special. I'd rather have that than sitting hundreds of feet away with a bunch of lights flashing. None of this really matters anyway. The band has and will do what they choose to do. If this is an attempt to get the band to do a huge Popmart style tour, I don't think it's going to work.

I really enjoyed POP..... but to be honest it did sound a bit rushed....maybe just a tad, since I liked all the singles but they don't sound as great on the album. The annoying thing is after POP all the VH1 programs (u know, e.g. Legends) started referring to it as the big mistake, so the band caught on and saw it as a mistake too. Exact same thing happened to R&H. The tour....I was dragged into the Sarajevo one seeing as how I wasn't a fan back then, but it looked great but then again the whole mood of the place was uplifting so I'm kind of partial that way.

Now ATYCLB, was an excellent album, well with the exception of Wild Honey. They cut down on the whole big stadium thing.... since after POP they didn't think they could fill stadiums especially in small cities. I didn't get a chance to go to one of the shows (damn ticketmaster!!) but from what I've heard, it was even more amazing since it was in a smaller place.

Tabby there's no need to be on the defensive. Its just an opinion, everyone's needs to be respected. An alternate point of view isn't always put out there to inflame or start arguments.
Same for Tip Top Prince.

Lets all stay cool, eh?

Fine. If all opinions must be respected then respect mine:)

So far this thing is following true to form. "New" person bashes ATYCLB and laments Pop. Same old story same old song and dance. The "opinions must be respected" is the next thing, so it's all deja vu and actually, it's pretty hilarious :lmao:

Next will be people goating people into fights. Surely as many times as this has gone down no one will fall victim to that. I am unable to take this worn out topic seriously anymore :laugh:

Last edited:
Course yours are :) I liked your post especially from "Most of us loved the way Elevation worked..." onwards. I love hearing about the show I never got to see, sad aren't I? :D
It just doesn't have to be at other's expense, is all.

:)

Your post was much better before the edit ;)

Again, opinions are all valid, and respected. It is really not to much to ask that we pose them without singling people out with specific negativity toward that person. We all are capable. We all know what topics get up our nose, we must choose how to approach them with respect and a bit of 'cool'.

i kinda had a feeling that someone must have bought this all up before, in all respects to everyone here its to good to see opionions expressed so freely. i do like atyclb but not every song i was sad to see 'when i look at the world' not being released and i think 'new york' was amazing (like most of the other songs) but anyway and as for the tour there anything wrong with i just wondered if anyone would have liked open air shows again live zootv...just one last which i'll get slaughtered for, wait for it...i personally didnt like the joshua tree that much.i think its got some musical classic's on there.nothing can beat exit or with or without you but i just didnt go too much for the almost country influence on the album. and if anyone is wondering my favourite album is achthung baby followed closely by war..

POP will go down as one of the most underrated albums of the 90's. There is no doubt in my mind about that. POPmart (like the album) maybe was too rushed but I really think they hit their stride towards the end of it. (as for the album being rushed I prefer that sound to the remixes, it almost sounds like techno-punk to me)

ATYCLB is a fine album. I didn't care for it too much upon the first few listens and little things here and there bug me (Bono's little Barry White - God rest his soul - speech at the begining of Walk On is the one main thing that comes to mind) But in retrospect, ATYCLB is what no other U2 album has been in the past - a mature album. And for where I am in my life, it's doing the job of supplying a soundtrack for my days.

Since I just moved to New York two 1/2 years ago (around the time the album came out) that album has fit more moments than I care to remember (top of the Empire State Building on a foggy night listening to 'New York', walking to find my wife at her work on 9/11 listening to 'Peace On Earth', exploring the city to the sounds of 'Elevation' and 'In A Little While' and making decisions about what to do with my life to 'Kite' and 'Grace') OK, this reply's gotten a bit too personal, sorry about that, but I think that this album, like all the other first of their 'trilogies' (Boy, Unforgettable Fire, and Achtung) is the start of something better and bigger than ourselves.

Amen.

Tabby said:
So far this thing is following true to form. "New" person bashes ATYCLB and laments Pop. Same old story same old song and dance. The "opinions must be respected" is the next thing, so it's all deja vu and actually, it's pretty hilarious :lmao:

Next will be people goating people into fights. Surely as many times as this has gone down no one will fall victim to that. I am unable to take this worn out topic seriously anymore :laugh:

Tabby, there's nothing remotely offensive about a newcomer stating his/her opnions so everyone else knows where s/he stands. I didn't read anything that was "bashing" or "lamenting". If you can't take it seriously like you say, then just leave and let the rest of us have a normal discussion. No reason to judge people by what albums/tours they like. For example, I'm not an Achtung Baby fan, but a LOT of U2 fans and some of my closest friends are. It's nothing more to me than a matter of personal preferance.

Personally, I enjoy both ATYCLB/Elevation Tour and Pop/Popmart. I love the huge flashiness of PopMart but also the personal closeness of Elevation. Elevation Tour would be my favorite, but PopMart is a good time.

Tabby said:
So far this thing is following true to form.

I am unable to take this worn out topic seriously anymore :laugh:

dont forget about the part where someone comes in and says 'we've done all this before!'.

if its making you tired...stop reading it.

Lies, if I believed this was really a "newcomer" I wouldn't. But I do not. Come on, even the thread title suggests the person knew this had been here many times and had been controversial. Someone seems quite insistant this topic be rehashed frequently.

LOL Kobayashi! :lmao: I forgot that one!

I'm sorry Angela. I'm going to work now anyway. Blargh.

Last edited:
The band and fans speak of Pop being rushed and not finished. We got CD burners or double cassette decks. For most of the songs we?ve got a number of versions. Why not make up your Pop album?

Discotheque ? new version or PopMart live version or Elevation live version
Do You Feel Loved ? or live version
Mofo ? or live version
If God Will Send His Angels - single version or Big Yam Mix or live version
Staring At The Sun ? new version ? acoustic live version ? or Elevation live version ? or a remix version (6 of them?)
Playboy Mansion
Last Night On Earth ? single version ? or live version
Gone ? new version or PopMart live version or Elevation live version
Miami ? or live version
If You Wear That Velvet Dress ? Jools Holland version
Please ? single version or live version
Wake Up Dead Man ? or live version

And for people who really hate Playboy Mansion or Miami or some other song you could replace it with Holy Joe (2 versions) or North And South Of The River or I?m Not Your Baby or Slow Dancing or Two Shots? or Happiness Is A Warm Gun or Big Girls Are Best or another Pop era song

And for fun:

A POP TRIPLE ALBUM

DISC 1

1. Pop Muzik (PopMart Mix Radio Edit) (4:04)
2. Discotheque (Hexidecimal Mix ? Best Of edit)
3. MOFO (Phunk Phorce mix ? edit) or another mix?
4. ?First Night In Hell? (Instrumental Mix of Last Night On Earth)
5. ?Heaven In Your Heart? (the Howie B Hairy B Mix of Discotheque)
6. Holy Joe (Guilty Mix)
7. Big Girls Are Best
*8. Air Suspension (Bono / Adam Dorn)
9. Little Black Dress (Friday / Bono / The Edge)
10. Theme From Let?s Go Native
*11. Children Of The Revolution (Bono / Friday / Seezer)
12. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
13. Do You Feel Loved

DISC 2

1. Dirty Day (Junk Day Mix)
2. Discotheque (Best Of 90s Mix)
3. MOFO
4. Miami
5. Elvis Ate America
6. Happiness Is A Warm Gun (The Gun Mix)
*7. Anarchy In The U.S.A.
8. Holy Joe (Garage Mix)
9. Slug
10. Playboy Mansion
11. Staring At The Sun (Best Of 90s Mix)
12. Last Night On Earth (Single version)
13. Gone (Best Of 90s Mix)

DISC 3

1. Two Shots Of Happy One Shot Of Sad
2. If You Wear That Velvet Dress (Jools Holland version)
3. Hallelujah (Bono)
4. Your Blue Room
5. Slow Dancing (U2 with Willie Nelson)
6. Dreaming With Tears In My Eyes (Bono and Larry)
7. Tomorrow (Bono / Adam)
*8. Stay (Craig Armstrong Version)
9. North And South Of The River
10. I?m Not Your Baby (The End Of Violence Soundtrack)
11. Please (Single version)
12. If God Will Send His Angels (Single version)
13.Wake Up Dead Man

* Post-Pop songs

Whether someone is new here is neither anyone's concern nor relevant to the topic. If this person says they are new, you don't have reason to doubt them. A look through the archives will show countless threads repeating the same topics.

Lets just keep this on track everyone.

I think the band realized a lot of people didn't get into the whole Pop thing. I didn't mean get, I mean, literally get into. It was like they were trying so hard to be different but it just wasn't them. Some people liked it and some did not, but I don't think they'll go there again.

Elevation ruled. God was in the house. The band could feel it. I'm sorry it didn't move you, because it was an intense feeling. You really missed out on something.

I am hoping for small venues and general admission again on the next tour.

alright, heres what i think kids.

pop - best u2 album of all time.

atyclb - second worst u2 album.

its that simple. thats not to say it doesnt have good songs. it does - 2 of them in fact. but thats not good enough.

Red Ships of Scalla-Festa said:
thats not to say [Pop] doesnt have good songs. it does - 2 of them in fact. but thats not good enough.
Which 2 songs are good? I bet if you polled everyone who said ATYCLB had only 2 good songs to find out which 2 are good, 75% of them would give different song combinations. That's the real irony in your statement. :sexywink:

I don't listen to that record much anymore, but if I had to give an answer...

right now my faves would be 'Kite' and 'Wild Honey' (I know how much you love 'Wild Honey') :wink:

If you asked me to give an objective answer as to which 2 are the "best" songs off ATYCLB, I would have to say 'Kite' and 'Stuck in a Moment...' (I know how much you love 'Stuck' :sexywink: )

PS. 'Beautiful Day' is one of the best, but it's not as strong as the dance remix, which I find more potent...the album version could have been so much more...

Oh, and for best "decent melody," the award goes to 'In A Little While'.

Last edited:
singleminute said:
no seriously im a newcomer, i just knew that this post would be a touchy subject..didnt realise that such an argument would happen.

I know, I believe you. I guess it's a touchy subject for Tabby. Not that it really matters, everyone has a touchy subject (mine is when people call Bono an ass-kisser or saying his activism is motivated by a selfish want of fame). Anyway, I'd also like to say that I used to feel the same way you do about Joshua Tree, but for some reason I've been listening to the entire album a lot lately (which I RARELY do, I thrive on live music) and I'm starting to like it more and more. My point - personal preferances often change over time. I used to dislike Even Better Than The Real Thing, now it's one of my favorites. :shrug:

Red Ships of Scalla-Festa said:
alright, heres what i think kids.

pop - best u2 album of all time.

atyclb - second worst u2 album.

its that simple. thats not to say it doesnt have good songs. it does - 2 of them in fact. but thats not good enough.

LOL. What's the first worst?

I love POP. I loved Popmart.

I love ATYCLB. I loved Elevation.

It's easy, now that six years have gone by and the Elevation tour has changed our opinion of what U2 shows should be like, to look back on the Popmart tour with comtempt. We can watch the Mexico City video and say "man, this was too much. Way over the top." But for those of you who were at the show (like I was), I just remember loving every minute of it. I thought the lemon was the coolest thing while it was happening. When I first walked in the monsterous Ohio Stadium and saw the monsterous stage, I was BLOWN AWAY!!! It was so big and beautiful to see in person. That's what I try to think of when I talk about Popmart. Now about what a "mistake" it was, or that the shows didn't sell out. I just focus on how good of a concert it was and how wonderful it felt to be seeing U2 for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom