2 questions and a thought

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
(is it just me or did the title of this thread sound like a song or a movie title?)
biggrin.gif

Anyway...

question 1: did anyone else notice 2 covers of JT? The cover my brother has is this blurred, band members all over the cover picture, while the other (which i noticed at CD stores) has a regular, clear picture-with band members nicely standing to the left side of the picture.

question 2: is it just me or is Exit weirdly mixed? I always have to crank the volume way high when i listen to it. I'd definitely hurt my hearing if i did it with the rest of the songs.

Thought: (before i go any further, this is not my point of view, so don't flame me, ok?)
do you think that some people may see Elevation tour and the whole "back to the basics" sound of ATYCLB as a way of U2 saying they were wrong with all the experimenting in the 90's? Sort of crawling back to the fans that left then?

------------------
"It's about finding your way into the music." - Edge

"Something inside said this could be everything in your life." - Bono

"U2 as a band does things nobody one else can. I think that is a very powerful thing." - Larry

"Adam believed in the band before anyone did." - Bono

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 12-04-2001).]

Originally posted by U2girl:
question 1: did anyone else notice 2 covers of JT? The cover my brother has is this blurred, band members all over the cover picture, while the other (which i noticed at CD stores) has a regular, clear picture-with band members nicely standing to the left side of the picture.

I believe the older copies have that (annoying, IMO) blurred cover, but that newer copies (past 2 years or so) have a clear picture on front. Just a marketing decision, I guess.

Thought: (before i go any further, this is not my point of view, so don't flame me, ok?)
do you think that some people may see Elevation tour and the whole "back to the basics" sound of ATYCLB as a way of U2 saying they were wrong with all the experimenting in the 90's? Sort of crawling back to the fans that left then?

I'm sure people will do that. It's inevitable, and those who shunned U2 in the 90s will get in a good "I told you so". That said, the fans who never abandoned them will know better, so to me it really doesn't matter. I've debated it many times, and come to the conclusion that the band has no shame over their 90's music. They are proud of it and would never change any of it.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Originally posted by U2girl:
[Bquestion 2: is it just me or is Exit weirdly mixed? I always have to crank the volume way high when i listen to it. I'd definitely hurt my hearing if i did it with the rest of the songs.
[/B]

Exit is different, but the issue here is in the mastering of the whole disc, not the mixing. I'm not sure if the gold discs that came out a few years ago were remastered and corrected this problem. We may have to wait for the boxed set (ahh someday, when U2 releases the complete remastered studio recordings....*sigh*).

------------------
Looking for U2 bootlegs?
www.geocities.com/u2trades

YES! There is something up with Exit. I always have to crank it, then crank it back down when the band REALLY gets going. But I always thought it was just my copy of JT--there's also a skip right at the end of Still Haven't Found. "Stiiiiiiiiiii......"

Still Haven't Replaced It, Either.

-Cindi

------------------
Gotta feel so guilty,
Got so much for so little...

Exit is quiet on my CD too...but that isnt the wierd part:

When you are flip to Exit on the CD, it starts with the 'Oh great ocean' from the end of One Tree Hill. Its wierd as hey, guess they just put the song divider in the wrong place.

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimsom sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

Originally posted by bono_man:
When you are flip to Exit on the CD, it starts with the 'Oh great ocean' from the end of One Tree Hill. Its wierd as hey, guess they just put the song divider in the wrong place.

Mine doesn't have this problem... weird. Also, I thought that the low volume is the 'style' of the song. It seems that I was wrong...
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

yeah its known that the sound quailty on JT is stuffed. Apparently they fixed it all up. Its good to have the crap mistakes. ACtually for some years I thought those lines from One tree Hill were a part of Exit.

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
yeah its known that the sound quailty on JT is stuffed. Apparently they fixed it all up. Its good to have the crap mistakes. ACtually for some years I thought those lines from One tree Hill were a part of Exit.

Haha...me too!
biggrin.gif

I think that the success of ATYLCB and the tour compared with Pop proved that if they were sorry and wanted to 'crawl back' they did the right thing. But I don't think they did. They wouldn't do that. They did ATYCLB because it was what they wanted to do at the time and that's what they have always done. Because of their track record of changing I'm afraid of what might come next, oh no they might go teenpop or hardcore rap!
eek.gif

Originally posted by zooropamanda:

Ya know, the first copy of JT I bought, the song cut off correctly. Then that CD started skipping, so I bought a new copy, and that one was messed up.

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Originally posted by christiana:
Mine doesn't have this problem... weird. Also, I thought that the low volume is the 'style' of the song. It seems that I was wrong...
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Yeah same here, looks like all the golden oldies got the dodgy copies
tongue.gif

And I agree with ya on your thoughts bout the style too, I always thought it was meant to start off kinda low, creepyish, and then BANG!!!! Feckin suck ya in like a tornado, ah I like Exit alot
smile.gif

I think U2, or at least Bono is more proud of their 90's work than their 80's work. From what I've read Edge had to force Bono to listen to the 80's stuff for the Best of 80-90 disc and for ATYCLB. I recently read that Bono stated he was very proud of ZooTV and the Zooropa album. I know they look back on POPmart as a disaster, even though it was amazing. I personally like 90's U2 better than 80's, I became a fan in the 90's (I'm only 18) and I just like the sounds and the lyrics better. Don't get me wrong, 80's U2 is great and I love it, but 90's was always better to me.

------------------
"I swore to my father I'd never do hamster-style again."

"looking for the sound thats gonna drown out the world
looking for the father of my two little girls
got the swing got the sway got my straw in lemonade
looking for the face i had before the world was made." - MOFO

Originally posted by Achtung Zooropa:
I think U2, or at least Bono is more proud of their 90's work than their 80's work. From what I've read Edge had to force Bono to listen to the 80's stuff for the Best of 80-90 disc and for ATYCLB. I recently read that Bono stated he was very proud of ZooTV and the Zooropa album. I know they look back on POPmart as a disaster, even though it was amazing. I personally like 90's U2 better than 80's, I became a fan in the 90's (I'm only 18) and I just like the sounds and the lyrics better. Don't get me wrong, 80's U2 is great and I love it, but 90's was always better to me.

I think that at least some years down the line, the band as a whole will be prouder of their 80's work than their 90's work. At the same time, I would never say they're not proud of their 90's work because I think they are. In my personal opinion, they're actually prouder of it than they should be because I think quite a lot of it is quite weak. I think they would like to redo or work more on some of it--especially Pop--but the same would go for some of their 80's stuff. I don't think you'd get a straight answer if you asked them "are you prouder of the 80's work or the 90's work," actually. But Larry--I have an idea that he has misgivings about a fair chunk of the 90's work.

Even though Achtung Baby is not actually my favourite U2 album, I wouldn't blame them if they were prouder of it than any other album, especially considering all the difficulties they reportedly went through when they were recording it.

As for the sound on JT, I agree, there are some major problems!

------------------
One day we'd reach the great ocean
At the end of a pale afternoon
And we'd lay down our heads just like we were sleeping
And be towed by the drag of the moon

-Sting

Back
Top Bottom