XX Olympic Winter Games - Torino, Italy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nbcrusader said:

NBC holds on to their coverage with an iron fist.

Thier coverage is awful....The spend about ten minutes on one sport and then go to another and then ten minutes later go back to that sport and then change sports and then go back to the previous sport....all the while having ads played about once every other minute!!! I am already fed up and it's day two!!

And then today they are showing the Canadian women's hockey team beating Russia 12-0...who the hell wants to watch that!!!!

NBC is awful:mad:

I TIVOed the NBC airing of 3½ hours of competition. Then I got to watch what I wanted and forward thru the commercials. I didn't have to see multiple replays of each event, which was nice. I only got to part of the pairs skating at 2:00am when I passed out. Maybe I can finish the rest today. In S.Calif. this morning, I couldn't find any Olympic coverage except some women's hockey on a cable station... :huh:

The coverage is horrible :down: I tried to watch the pairs skating last night, it took them forever to get to it then it was a jumbled mess. Not to mention that you have to live in a bubble to avoid finding out the results before it airs.

CESANA, Italy (AP) -- Anne Abernathy, the 52-year-old slider known as "Grandma Luge," broke her right wrist during a crash in practice Sunday and may not compete in the Turin Games.

Abernathy was injured during a morning training session when she wrecked between turns 16 and 17 and was taken to a hospital. Melita Glanville, the trainer who has worked with Abernathy for six years, said she will be evaluated on Monday before the first two runs of women's luge.

"Even if you have a little doubt, if someone is not on top of their game and they are going to fly down the track at 90 mph, you have to be pretty sure they are OK," Glanville said.

The runners on Abernathy's sled also sustained serious damage in the wreck on the speedy 19-curve track at Cesana, which has thwarted several sliders in recent days.

Abernathy made her Olympic debut for the U.S. Virgin Islands in 1988 at Calgary. Although she has never been a serious medal threat, Abernathy, a cancer survivor, is popular with the sport's fans and her fellow athletes.

At these games, Abernathy is wearing a green racing suit and a red helmet.

"I kind of look like a Christmas tree," she said following a practice run on Friday. "The red helmet is in honor of women over 50 ... that we can go out and do what we want to do. It's a big deal for a lot of women that someone over 50 is going out there and doing it."

Michelle Kwan did a noble and classy thing, and I salute her.

She had to try, but she realized she couldn't do it, and stepped down, giving her alternate who was bumped for her medical exception a chance.

She's got a silver, a bronze, many world and national titles, and the love and respect of millions.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/to...ews?slug=dw-kwanout021206&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

TURIN, Italy – At 2:15 a.m., not a moment to lose, not another night to waste, Michelle Kwan sat in front of Dr. Jim Moeller and heard the truth that her body and her mind had been telling her for too long.

It was over. The Winter Olympics, the golden dream, the chase for the holy grail of skating, the only title she could never seem to win. At 25, already on borrowed time, already pressing and pushing this pursuit into the final hours, Kwan was done.

It was pitch black outside, middle of the night.

"I just had to make a decision," she said. "But I made the right one."

Kwan pulled out of the Olympics on Sunday, ending her bid to win gold in this, her third and, certainly, final chance. She will be replaced by alternate Emily Hughes, the younger sister of Sarah, one of Kwan's past tormentors.

Kwan goes out as a champion, of course, just not an Olympic champion. She is the best skater of her generation, winner of 43 championships – including five world and nine national titles – but never Olympic gold.

Twice she entered the games as the heavy favorite only to lose to young upstarts Tara Lipinski in 1998 and Sarah Hughes in 2002. She was only here to finish with a dream ending. It won't happen.

"It's always been a dream to win the Olympics," Kwan said Sunday. "My parents are here; they arrived last night and they always want me to be happy, [to have] their baby win gold.

"I've learned it's not about gold," she continued. "It's about the spirit of it. I have no regrets. I tried my hardest and if I don't win gold, it's OK. I've had a great career. I've been lucky. This is a sport and it is beautiful."

Kwan tried to cheat this, tried to rebound from a groin injury that prevented her from competing in last month's nationals. She tried to get her body more flexible, capable of competing under a new scoring system that rewards it. She tried to get sharp enough to land her patented jumps.

But she couldn't.

Saturday she cut her practice session short, frustrated by a nagging groin injury, stiffness from attending the chilly opening ceremony and possibly a new injury suffered when she fell. By midnight she felt worse, called her parents and then the doctor. A couple hours later, it was over.

"It was just kind of … tough night," she said, holding back the tears.

The lack of gold will forever be mentioned with Kwan, but it should do nothing to minimize her career or her impact on her sport. A classy, graceful athlete, Kwan helped usher in an golden era for skating that had been hit by off-ice scandals ranging from substance abuse (Oksana Baiul) to the infamous Tonya-Nancy soap opera.

She handled herself as a role model on and off the ice, as good a champion as runner-up. Her only flaw may have been holding on too much, thinking this was still possible. But that's what great athletes do.

"It's the Olympics, you've got to push," she said.

And so she pushed until the bitter end, until the truth came out in the dark of night.

"I'd love to compete in my third Olympics," she said. "But I love and respect the sport. It is all about the U.S. bringing the best team to the Olympic Games. And I wouldn't want to be in the way of that."

It took just a few hours for the IOC to grant the USOC's petition to have Kwan replaced by Hughes. "She'll make the country proud," Kwan offered.

And with that she vowed to head back to California, to not be a distraction for the next generation of skaters, so many of whom grew up watching Kwan's beautiful performances and beginning dreams of their own.

For Kwan, the ultimate dream will never come true. She'll never win Olympic gold, but her impact on the sport will last forever.

anitram said:
Rome, Florence, Siena, Venice. If I have more time I'd love to go down to Naples, Amalfi and Positano as well!

Hope you will enjoy your staying in my Country!!
Tell us all when you'll back home!

=============

Downhill men was great yesterday!
And the guy who won... :drool:
He's a French athlete, and he was the last one to make the performance...

And Armin Zoeggler (he's Italian, even if he's got this name :wink: ) won the Golden medal:

[from euters:]
Armin Zoeggeler was the toast of the town when he gave the hosts victory in the singles luge but the bubbly was no longer on ice for American figure skater Michelle Kwan.

A couple thoughts on Bode and Daron yesterday. Daron skied flawlessly and there is no reason why he should've been more than 1.5 seconds off the pace. I really believe that he skis had a bad setup, wrong wax or base. I don't think opting to go with the old skis over the new ones in the start house effected him mentally. Although I would not have abandoned them after watching Bode's run. To have a bad equipment setup is unthinkable when you're a world class skier let alone in the premier olympic event.

Bode on the other hand skied really well. There was a flat section where he wasn't in a true tuck which could've cost him some time (he could've gotten on the podium), but as he said he wasn't going to win.

They'll both go home with medals with the Super-G being their best shots as Daron is more of a speed skier and Bode being erratic in the slalom (his former specialty). I'd love to see Ted Ligety get a medal in the slalom, that would be huge for him.

Rumor has it that Zhang and Zhang of China are going to attempt the quad throw Salchow in the pairs LP tonight. If they land it it will be a first, and may win them the gold medal.

I'm a Bode supporter amd I love how public opinion has turned against him based on the 60 minutes interview. The guy does things his own way, making him a douchebag. Outstanding.

Bode drank the night he won the World Cup and then raced the next day?? Oh no!!! It's no different than any weekend skier kicking back some drinks at the summit lodge and then going out there and making runs with all the other skiers.

For all I know, the alcohol and pot might improve Bode's performance.

Il Pomodoro Volante is adorable. The Halfpipe competition was certainly fun to watch. Short Track speed skating was also fun. I was happy for the Koreans after what happened 4 years ago.

I will also chime in with hatred of the NBC coverage of the Olympics. But, what else is new? I must say though, I do love some of their camera angles. You could actually see how steep and scary the Downhill course was *shudder*

As for the Bode and Rahlves, I agree they didn't ski badly. As for the drinking, it takes a certain kind of personality to be able to do what they do, so it really doesn't surprise me when he says he goes out drinking. He was probably drinking with fellow downhillers.

randhail said:
I'm a Bode supporter amd I love how public opinion has turned against him based on the 60 minutes interview. The guy does things his own way, making him a douchebag. Outstanding.

No, the guy is a pretentious egotistical prick, that's why he's a douchebag.

Hewson said:
So is Apollo Anton Yoko Ohno the most overhyped, underachieving American winter olympian ever?

Actually, this is a good example of how US coverage of the Olympics turns off most international viewers.

The US media will essentially hand out the medals before the events through its coverage, and then focus on the sob story of how an individual failed to get the medal.

Back
Top Bottom