What CD's/musicians do you intend to check out, but haven't got around to it yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wilco probably tops the list. Elvis Presley sent me a Wilco mix way back but I have yet to listen to it because I'm never in the mood.

I always want to explore more in the realms of jazz, electronica and classical music but I haven't had the time. My knowledge of the local music scene is also infuriatingly limited.

Zootlesque said:
VG! You should definitely start with The Bends! If you don't like it, you should not even bother with anything else IMO.

NOOOOOO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO

How will people ever understand the greatness of radiohead if they dont' give all their sounds a fair shake? :)

GibsonGirl said:
Nick Drake - Someone I know who likes good music recommended him to me.

Elliot Smith - See above.

Wilco - Everyone cool I know seems to like them, so there must be something good about Wilco.

Yeah, I can't think of anything else.

GibsonGirl:

If you're gonna try out Wilco, I'd recommend Summerteeth first, then Being There. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is good after those two. I actually like Being There better than Summerteeth but feel the mellow feel of Summerteeth draws in more people. Obviously I'm recommending the more "conventional" stuff and if thats not your cup of tea then dive right into A Ghost is Born and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I have never gotten into A Ghost is Born which is why I don't recommend it and I'm too lazy to buy AM.

The Wilco and Billy Bragg album tribute of Woodie Guthrie- "Mermaid Avenue" is great but mebbe too rootsy but I'd still recommend it after you listen to all the others.

My list at this moment...

T-Rex
Steve Vai
Arcade Fire

Last edited:
Flying FuManchu said:

If you're gonna try out Wilco, I'd recommend Summerteeth first, then Being There. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is good after those two. I actually like Being There better than Summerteeth but feel the mellow feel of Summerteeth draws in more people. Obviously I'm recommending the more "conventional" stuff and if thats not your cup of tea then dive right into A Ghost is Born and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I have never gotten into A Ghost is Born which is why I don't recommend it and I'm too lazy to buy AM.

I bought Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and A Ghost is Born first (and at the same time), then Summerteeth about a month later. I still like YHF and AGIB better overall than Summerteeth. I think I'd like Wilco if Summerteeth was what I heard first, but not sure I'd love them from that album alone.

Moonlit_Angel said:
-The Jam
-Madness
-XTC

Those are my big ones right now-I've heard some of their songs, but I want to start getting, like, compilation CDs, at least, to start off with, and continue on from there, 'cause I'm loving what I've heard so far. I'm sure there's more out there, if I think of them, I'll list them later.

Angela

Angela I would certainly recommend the Jam, Paul Weller is a great songwriter. "The Sound of the Jam" is a good best of compilation.

Mr. MIKEphisto said:

How will people ever understand the greatness of radiohead if they dont' give all their sounds a fair shake? :)

Well... Bends is clearly the most listener friendly! If she doesn't like the Bends, I doubt if she'll like anything else. There is of course that off chance (0.01%) that she hates the Bends and loves Kid A. :wink:

Zootlesque said:
Well... Bends is clearly the most listener friendly! If she doesn't like the Bends, I doubt if she'll like anything else. There is of course that off chance (0.01%) that she hates the Bends and loves Kid A. :wink:

I think as with almost everything music related it is partly a matter of taste - someone more into mainstream rock and roll would prefer The Bends, someone more into ambient stuff would prefer an album like Kid A. They travelled quite a journey from 1995 to 2000 between The Bends and Kid A.

Moonlit_Angel said:
*Writes this down* Thanks :). I'll keep an eye out for this.

And yes, from what I've heard so far, Paul definitely seems like a very talented person :).

Angela

It's funny...I never heard U2 cite him as an influence...but he was probably one of the most intelligent songwriters of the early 80's and late 70's, and still has a pretty successful career today. In some ways, he is similar to Bono in being able to combine the personal and political in his songwriting, and I would probably rate him as one of the best songwriters ever to come out of England.

Re: Re: Re: What CD's/musicians do you intend to check out, but haven't got around to it yet?

Zootlesque said:

There is a band called All India Radio??? :lol:

Yep. And they are a pain in the arse to google. :madspit:

... come to think of it The Church is a pain in the arse band to google too. :grumpy:

...just my kind of luck....

Re: Re: Re: Re: What CD's/musicians do you intend to check out, but haven't got around to it yet?

indra said:

Yep. And they are a pain in the arse to google. :madspit:

... come to think of it The Church is a pain in the arse band to google too. :grumpy:

...just my kind of luck....

:lol: no kidding!

what kind of music do they play? Of course, I could just head over to amg, they must be listed there.. I guess.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What CD's/musicians do you intend to check out, but haven't got around to it yet

Zootlesque said:

:lol: no kidding!

what kind of music do they play? Of course, I could just head over to amg, they must be listed there.. I guess.

I haven't actually hear anything by them yet.... :reject:

But this little blurb from their website sounded interesting:

The music is lo-fi, down tempo and instrumental. Gentle melodies weave in and out of through noir-ish atmospheres and mysterious distant street sounds.

...and just to check I went and googled The Church -- damned if their official site didn't pop up right at the very top of page 1! So now I'm embarrassed. :eek: I guess someone figured out how to push them higher in google's standings. That's shockingly competent for them.... :ohmy:

financeguy said:
It's funny...I never heard U2 cite him as an influence...but he was probably one of the most intelligent songwriters of the early 80's and late 70's, and still has a pretty successful career today. In some ways, he is similar to Bono in being able to combine the personal and political in his songwriting, and I would probably rate him as one of the best songwriters ever to come out of England.

Heh, well, funny you mention that about U2, 'cause I was watching a "Headline Act" show on VH1 Classic with Paul Weller once, and if I recall, he did refer to U2 towards the very end (in a favorable manner, too). Wouldn't surprise me if there was some influence there somewhere or something.

But yeah, I've noticed some of what you're referring to in the songs I've heard. He seems pretty cool, I've heard many respectable comments about him :). Doesn't hurt that some of the songs are really fun to dance to, as well :D. LOL.

Angela

1. Just about every 'IT' band everyone raves about at the moment. There's too many of them, and what I've heard they mostly all sound the same!! :huh:

I've got a whole list in my notebook of artists I'd like to investigate once my credit card recovers from my holiday:

- Ian Dury & The Blockheads
- Sarah McLaughlan
- Heartless Bastards
- Echo & The Bunnymen
- Moloko (and Roisin Murphy solo)
- Elliott Smith
- Cocorosie
- Eels
- Bloc Party
- Magic Numbers
- Devendra Banhart
- Rufus Wainwright
- KT Tunstall
- Sufjan Stevens
- The Jam
- Stellamara
- Wilco

indra said:

I bought Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and A Ghost is Born first (and at the same time), then Summerteeth about a month later. I still like YHF and AGIB better overall than Summerteeth. I think I'd like Wilco if Summerteeth was what I heard first, but not sure I'd love them from that album alone.

I think its fairly hard to really "love" a band from one album. So its not a big surprise IMO when you say that. Also YHF and AGIB are a stark progression from Summerteeth IMO so it may color perceptions differently as opposed to the order of what I listened/ suggested. It's all good though.

Back
Top Bottom