The National are a great band we should keep discussing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They covered Mansion on the Hill, and Bruce Springsteen inducted U2 into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, so they pretty clearly have been working up to this for a while.

I really like that cover. I really like Nebraska in general. That was actually the only National song one of my friends knew for about a year (I sent it to him since he is a big Springsteen fan).

Pretty damn cool finally having The Virginia EP on crazy looking yellow/black splatter vinyl. And it mercifully didn't come with a DVD of A Skin, A Night.

Post-1997 U2 aside, it's possibly the shittiest thing a band I love has been involved with.

These gentlemen tweeted a pic today of what looked like a recording session featuring a large horn section.

These gentlemen tweeted a pic today of what looked like a recording session featuring a large horn section.
I follow them on Instagram and they have been posting pictures of them recording in studios for months. Since they're not U2, I'd be stunned if they didn't release an album this year.

There's always the danger of the next National album disappointing, regardless of what they do, but I do anticipate. They're one of at most two or three acts who have actually reached me in recent years. Like, I give a shit about them.

They'd have to fuck up pretty bad to put out a truly disappointing album.

I expect it to be good. Though I do worry a little about the samey-samey quality of the lowkey tracks that have appeared since High Violet: About Today, Exile/Vilify, Rylan etc. I actually really like all of those songs, but worry if they might be chasing a formula. That's just a small worry, not a condemnation.

These gentlemen are the best fucking band out there right now.

In terms of a band that is at their creative and commercial peak, I agree. Certainly my favourite band whose first album was out after 2000.

I expect it to be good. Though I do worry a little about the samey-samey quality of the lowkey tracks that have appeared since High Violet: About Today, Exile/Vilify, Rylan etc. I actually really like all of those songs, but worry if they might be chasing a formula. That's just a small worry, not a condemnation.

About Today is an old National classic that first came out in 2004. I don't see it being more similar to something like Exile/Vilify than many of the other pre-High Violet tracks. They're not a band that is now massively prone to change, but there has been a clear evolution in their sound from the debut up to High Violet, to the point where one could easily recognize from which album a certain song comes from, in terms of instrumentation, production and Matt Berninger's voice.

I'm not worried, but I do hope there's a few more rockers on the new one. They're so good at it - Mr November, Abel.

You forgot to mention their best rocker, Available. And maybe their best song as far as I am concerned.

That's what I'm getting at. I miss the band who did Abel, a little. Although I realise they haven't exactly gone soft on us. 'Terrible Love' has teeth, so does 'Afraid of Everyone'.

And I wouldn't want them to rock out for the sake of it, like U2 with some piece of shit like Vertigo.

Check out any live version of About Today that actually has the best of both worlds. But I agree that the next one should bring forth the rockers. And bring back the screaming.

Yeah as good as they are on record they're about 20 times better live. Both times I've seen them it's been top-five-ever material.

The best example is Squalor Victoria - a pretty ordinary song on record that becomes an absolute monster live. His screams on that are fantastic.

You forgot to mention their best rocker, Available. And maybe their best song as far as I am concerned.

Well yeah, Available is a fucking monster. Great, great song. But I would also say that High Violet had its share of hard rockers. Terrible Love and Afraid of Everyone might start at low volume, but the climaxes are as heavy as anything they've done. If anything, Boxer is their quietest affair, in studio at least.

Yeah, but he tends to scream on some High Violet songs live as well, and that album unfortunately had no such thing in the studio.

They have just added some European dates at the end of June and beginning of July (including my hometown!), and there are some rumours the album might be out in spring... I sure hope so.

Managed to snag a ticket. The show was sold out in 10 minutes and I was too late but luckily there were probably some failed payments.

I've got a seat but I'm just glad I''l be able to see them at a lovely venue, instead of a big festival like last time.

Back
Top Bottom