The Mullet, Ireland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bono_man2002 said:

Yes, that thing when it leaks everyone except about 3 people hate it, and then 6-12 months of playing it 15 times a day everyone hates it.

Except Peterrrrrrr, who's too busy finding which songs Bono hits the high C in to hate it.

Axver said:

Yep. The election has to occur within a certain timeframe (for our last election, I believe the timeframe was September 2007 to January 2008; it was held 24 November 2007), and the government typically announces the election date six weeks before it will take place. Now, as it gets closer, you'll see the "phoney campaign", where both parties are obviously getting ready to go without actually formally campaigning, but until the date's announced, there's only so much they can do.

I like that. Trim off all the fat and get down to business when it counts.

phanan said:

I like that. Trim off all the fat and get down to business when it counts.

For better or worse, we also don't have this whole fiasco with primaries, with the party itself electing its leader - almost always someone already on the front bench with a ministerial portfolio of some description. Only once in Australian history has the Prime Minister been from the Senate, in an exceptional circumstance - and he gave up his Senate seat and contested for a House of Representatives seat.

Axver said:
Yeah, you haven't been around enough lately, Daniel.

The WTAHNN forum is a bit of a disaster at the moment. Random speculation based on inconsequential tidbits. It will be a damning indictment of U2's laziness and lack of commitment to their music if the album is not out in November, but apparently one of their crew told a fan that if it doesn't make it out by November, then March 2009 will be it.

I completely agree that it would show a lack of commitment. When you create art it should consume you. If this album is as pathetic as Bomb than I think I'll lose all faith in U2's ability to make another great record. Is anyone with me there?

Screwtape2 said:

I completely agree that it would show a lack of commitment. When you create art it should consume you. If this album is as pathetic as Bomb than I think I'll lose all faith in U2's ability to make another great record. Is anyone with me there?

It just seems to me that they're lazy. It says something that it's only May and because we haven't heard anything, some fans are already scared the album won't come in NOVEMBER, half a year away. Most other bands I follow would have only just got to the studio or wouldn't even be there yet for a November release!

I think the last couple of albums show U2 just don't have the passion for music any more. They are rock stars, not rock musicians. I have no faith in them to produce good music any more. I believe they COULD if they were still interested in music, but they aren't. Bono wants to save Africa, Larry's an idiot, Adam's got a foot in the grave, and Edge is on Mars.

Screwtape2 said:
Axver, how are you coming on your CD exchange playlist?

Still not even 100% on the artists, heh. I cut The Bats since they're in my Dunedin Sound list. At the moment, I've got The Shadows, Solar Powered People, Chroma Key, and Anathema, but 3 of those 4 could be ditched (The Shadows, of course, stay).

I don't suppose there are any bands I've used in DI or otherwise mentioned that you'd like more of an intro to? I've had a hard time deciding what I want to use here.

Axver said:

Still not even 100% on the artists, heh. I cut The Bats since they're in my Dunedin Sound list. At the moment, I've got The Shadows, Solar Powered People, Chroma Key, and Anathema, but 3 of those 4 could be ditched (The Shadows, of course, stay).

I don't suppose there are any bands I've used in DI or otherwise mentioned that you'd like more of an intro to? I've had a hard time deciding what I want to use here.

I liked the single songs I've heard by God Is An Astronaut and The Verlaines.

Axver said:

That couldn't have been more boring if it had tried. I probably did that as a warm-up when I took drum lessons at age 5.

Good luck with everything, Vazza. :wave:

It was pretty boring, and pretty hilarious as a u2.com video, but I do think the guitar at the beginning sounded promising and the constant symbols are a little different than the rest of the 00s.

Axver said:

It just seems to me that they're lazy. It says something that it's only May and because we haven't heard anything, some fans are already scared the album won't come in NOVEMBER, half a year away. Most other bands I follow would have only just got to the studio or wouldn't even be there yet for a November release!

I think the last couple of albums show U2 just don't have the passion for music any more. They are rock stars, not rock musicians. I have no faith in them to produce good music any more. I believe they COULD if they were still interested in music, but they aren't. Bono wants to save Africa, Larry's an idiot, Adam's got a foot in the grave, and Edge is on Mars.

Truer words, etc.

Watched the Late Late show interview they did in 1988 recently, and it was interesting to note that Bono thought it took too long to record JT. He thought four months was a ridiculous amount of time.

It's weird, the 80s Bono wasn't exactly the opposite of who he is now (and I'm perfectly aware that people change over 20 odd years), but he sure was a hell of a lot different. Or less lazy.

Last edited:
(I stuck around cause I saw a thread on aid and civil war in iq...i am pretending that writing a response in some way helped me prepare for my final friday in Political Economy of Africa :laugh: )

Screwtape2 said:

I liked the single songs I've heard by God Is An Astronaut and The Verlaines.

Probably phanan rather than I could do the best intro to God Is An Astronaut. I haven't actually checked out their latest album yet.

The Verlaines are in my Dunedin Sound disc. Beyond a few songs, I'm actually not that into them. Death And The Maiden and New Kind Of Hero own, though.

oooh i see this is the 2nd time i've missed a "bash u2 in secret so iq doesn't turn into a mess" talk. last time i argued with axver about it on aim, this time i'm gonna tear myself away.

but yeah, i'll be pissed if they can't put out an album after four years and with like a year's worth of work - weren't they working by this time last year? that is indeed lazy, distracted, uncommitted, or something.

maybe they should just quit with the new stuff and do a bunch of farewell tours where they play their whole catalogue :hmm:

Axver said:

Probably phanan rather than I could do the best intro to God Is An Astronaut. I haven't actually checked out their latest album yet.

The Verlaines are in my Dunedin Sound disc. Beyond a few songs, I'm actually not that into them. Death And The Maiden and New Kind Of Hero own, though.

I look forward to your Dunedin Sound introduction. Have you put much thought into how you'll introduce people to modern prog? I have to say I am really stuck.

Varitek said:
pretty hilarious as a u2.com video

This aspect, I can't get over. Good fucking god, they're hacks. When they do occasionally get some sort of clip, it's Bono rambling about shit and forgetting the lyrics over the top of Wave Of Sorrow, or Larry fart-arsing around on some rather dull work.

The guitar that's briefly heard is honestly too insubstantial for me to even start to care.

The Sad Punk said:
Watched the Late Late show interview they did in 1988 recently, and it was interesting to note that Bono thought it took too long to record JT. He thought four months was a ridiculous amount of time.

:laugh: Really?! Oh, that's too funny. He says that, then they go and take twenty years to put out six albums.

It's weird, the 80s Bono wasn't exactly the opposite of who he is now (and I'm perfectly aware that people change over 20 odd years), but he sure was a hell of a lot different. Or less lazy.

Yeah, back then he read a lot of creative stuff, gave interesting rants, could sing well, and wanted to make music. What the fuck happened?

Varitek said:
maybe they should just quit with the new stuff and do a bunch of farewell tours where they play their whole catalogue :hmm:

:lol:

They clearly enjoy playing live more than they like being in the studio. I think they need to break out of this mindset that you can't tour unless you have a new album to promote.

Screwtape2 said:

I look forward to your Dunedin Sound introduction. Have you put much thought into how you'll introduce people to modern prog? I have to say I am really stuck.

I have about 3 hours of music (21 tracks) sitting in a playlist that I need to sort. At this stage, it has far too much Porcupine Tree compared to everything else, but I'm not sure this is a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom