The Manic Street Preachers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well because I'm so keen on blowing my own trumpet here it is:

You Love Us (Heavenly version)
Motorcycle Emptiness (Forever Delayed edit)
Suicide Is Painless
La Tristesse Durera
From Despair To Where
4st 7lb
PCP
A Design For Life
Enola/Alone
Sepia
The Everlasting (edit)
If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next
Prologue To History
Ocean Spray
Just A Kid
4 Ever Delayed
A Song For Departure
I Live To Fall Asleep

'My Little Empire', 'Ready For Drowning', 'Girl Who Wanted To Be God', 'Yes', 'Stay Beautiful', 'Kevin Carter', 'Revol', 'Roses In The Hospital', 'Of Walking Abortion', 'No Surface All Feeling', 'There By The Grace Of God (St. Etienne mix)', 'Sleepflower' were all planned on being there but didn't make it due to time and the fact I wanted to have bits and pieces for everything, which also explains the (more or less) chronological listing.

Last edited:
Thanks to HeartlandGirl, I have become an instant fan. I am completely obsessed with the songs "If You Tolerate This Your Children Will be Next" (an absolutely delicioiusly exquisite song) and "To Repel Ghosts." I now must own their entire catalog within the next 24 hours. Is this possible?

:drool:

:up: The more manics fans the better!!
Now isn't it a shame they won't play North America anymore?

Try ebay...i got their entire catalogue there for about 15$! :D

(yes I'm still excited about it after so many months! :reject: )

Well, they're not exactly well-known here (after their '94 era) and the last time they stepped near Toronto was back in '99 in a tiny club so (compared to stadiums they sell-out in UK), I guess there's no point coming here if there isn't the audience (or atleast that's what they think)
:(

Last edited:
Damn, I didn't know they were so unheard of here. I have been hearing about them since their first record but just never got around to checking them out and figured I was just slow getting on the bandwagon. I'm really surprised to learn that they have no audience here.

Joyful, FYI, Manics stuff is near impossible to find here in the states. I've only seen about 4 of their CDs available in regular record stores since last year. It can be aggrivating.

Glad you're liking them, they've really become a favorite of mine lately also. :up:

Well then I won't waste time combing the pathetic stores here and will just hunt stuff down online.

Are these two songs I mentioned pretty representative of their work? I mean, if I love those songs will I love most of their records?

"If you tolerate this" is from "This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours", it's a great CD. You'll love it if you liked those songs. But my favourite albums from them are their first 2, Generation Terrorist and Holy Bible. Give "if white america told the truth for one day" a listen, it's (IMO) a good representative of their first two albums.

Try "Motorcycle Emptiness" too. Great song!

(I can go on for hours about Manics! :reject: )

I think they're pretty representative of their work. Their first 3 albums seem to be a little more rocking, which I dont think you'd have anything against. The albums since then have seemed to become more "grand" in size and structure, if that makes any sense. Bigger production, dense arrangements, huge choruses, etc. (like you've heard in those 2 songs)

I think it's a pretty safe bet you'll do ok. Tolerate was my first "fav" too.

u2popmofo said:
Bigger production, dense arrangements, huge choruses, etc. (like you've heard in those 2 songs)

I'm a sucker for big anthemic stuff like that. But I guess I will grab whatever I can find easily and start there.

I'm glad to see you jumping on the Manics bandwagon, even if there are only about 20 people on it in the U.S. :wink: It's a blessing and a curse. I never have to get sick of them from overexposure, but yeah, it can be tough to find their albums here, and it's not likely any of us will be seeing them tour here anytime soon.

You might go ahead and look around at the shops for their records. I've bought all but one of their albums in stores. To find their most recent, though, you'll need to go to a place with a good selection of imports.

As for whether those two tracks are representative of their work, I would say yes. To be honest, when I am putting Manics songs on a mix, I feel like I have too many to choose from. I almost always go with Tolerate because it is so beautiful and soaring, it was really popular, and I have yet to find a person who hasn't just fallen in love with it. I picked To Repel Ghosts because I wanted to put something from the new album on there, but Lifeblood has so many excellent songs on it. I had trouble deciding what to go with, so I just picked my favorite at that very moment.

I got into the Manics only knowing a few of their songs, and I have yet to hear an album of theirs and be disappointed. They seem to be one of those bands who are impressive no matter how they've changed over the years. So I say YES, get some Manics albums and see what you think! If you can't find them locally, then amazon is a good choice, or ebay, like bayernfc said.

:up: :up: :up:

u2popmofo said:

I believe Holy Bible is their 3rd, and Gold Against the Soul is their 2nd.

Right! Sorry! I guess it was the order I got to listen to them!

If you get a chance to see them in concert, they're great live. My first concert, was seeing them in Manchester in '97 and not many bands afterwards came close, even though this was a stadium show!

Last edited:
And I was just reading through yertle's Manics mix. That's some good stuff. :up:

1985 :drool: I am just loving Lifeblood right now. Cardiff Afterlife, Fragments, Richard Nixon, Empty Souls, Solitude Sometimes Is.... :drool:

Jeez, you people should not get me started on this band. I'll be listening to them all weekend.

Thanks everybody! Since Borders is just down the street I guess I will head over there during lunch and see what they have. I'll keep you posted.

:)

Well, Borders was not unexpectedly useless. According to their computer database there was one copy of Holy Bible somewhere in the store but it wasn't in the M's (although Snow Patrol was) so I picked up Muse's Absolution as my consolation prize.

How weird. :ohmy:

I was listening to Manics earlier, thinking about their grand, sweeping songs compared to their rocking, angry stuff. And I thought, "I wonder how joyful feels about Muse...?" Seeing as how Muse has some pretty grand, angry songs and all.

:ohmy:

You must have psychically transmitted a message to me to get Muse. I was in a hurry and wasn't leaving the store without something in my hands but I didn't dare leave the M's or I'd have been in there all day (I had to practice enormous self-restraint in not putting Snow Patrol in the S's where it belongs). So I grabbed the first interesting thing I saw that had been on my list for awhile.

Psychically transmitting messages is cool. Especially when it results in the purchase of good albums. :wink:

I recently purchased Lifeblood. Thank you yertle for wearing this band on your sleeve. Even on first impression, the album has a cohesiveness that is just plain refreshing.

*post successfully made through use of the band index.

:sexywink:

boystupidboy said:
though i'd get a response with that one.Nothing good has ever come out of Wales:ohmy:
'waits for a long list of Welsh achievements from an irrate taffy'

Mate I never been to Wales, but I got a mega ton of Welsh blood in me, and boyo, listen to me, ya gettin my blood boiling when ya say nothing good comes from Wales.

"Dafydd, the only gay in the village" came from Wales....!

Can't say I'm a fan but I can see myself gettin into them...do enjoy some of their songs....

Thing is, after what the MSP Bass player said about Michael Stipe about 12 or 13 years ago, I can't say I can really warm to the band that much.

intedomine said:
Can't say I'm a fan but I can see myself gettin into them...do enjoy some of their songs....

Thing is, after what the MSP Bass player said about Michael Stipe about 12 or 13 years ago, I can't say I can really warm to the band that much.

oh what did they say about stipe? :|

celia said:

oh what did they say about stipe? :|

...I believe it was something along the lines of "I hope he goes the the same way as Freddie" - as in Freddie Mercury.

I try to just put that to the back of my mind - and try to enjoy their music still.

Back
Top Bottom