Swampy Summit, Otago Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL

I love the NPC and the lower levels. I can handle the All Blacks at times.

Otherwise it's just noise.

I miss the glory days of the NPC having three divisions and promotion/relegation in the nineties.

I still struggle with the idea that King Country aren't much of a team, because they were in the first division when I first started taking note of rugby. Likewise, I still don't really think Southland, Northland, or Hawke's Bay are serious contenders for anything because they were second division teams when I was little. And the second division final between Southland and Northland in which the former achieved elevation to the first division is possibly the worst game of rugby I've ever seen. 12-6 was the final score, all from penalty kicks. It was tedious.

Having been to Moore Park, not possible.

Maybe tv viewers or Twitter followers?

My high school was just around the corner from Metricon. I reckon they counted the school's enrolments as part of the crowd figure.

36-3 after 36 minutes.

Yeah I don't think the shield is going to Thames Valley.

When I was a kid I added Thames Valley to the list of teams that I like - the only team north of Taranaki - because I loved their yellow and orange striped shirts. I hope they still have that.

I miss the glory days of the NPC having three divisions and promotion/relegation in the nineties.

I still struggle with the idea that King Country aren't much of a team, because they were in the first division when I first started taking note of rugby. Likewise, I still don't really think Southland, Northland, or Hawke's Bay are serious contenders for anything because they were second division teams when I was little. And the second division final between Southland and Northland in which the former achieved elevation to the first division is possibly the worst game of rugby I've ever seen. 12-6 was the final score, all from penalty kicks. It was tedious.

I first started paying attention when Northland were awful against everyone but would flog anyone in the promotion/relegation game. That was awful.

I would like the game back, but the bigger division has got a stunning amount of parity. Look at where Wellington are (sorry).

It's almost, almost perfect.

I'm trying to remember what my ranking of clubs I liked was.

I think it was something like this, though the ranked order only really counts for the first four (and is still the order I'd give today):

=1. Wellington
=1. Kapiti-Horowhenua
3. Wairarapa-Bush
4. Otago
5. Taranaki
6. Manawatu
7. Wanganui
8. Hawke's Bay
9. Thames Valley
10. Nelson Bays
11. Marlborough

So basically just all the clubs that make up the Hurricanes' catchment, plus Otago for family reasons, Thames Valley, and clubs at the top of the South Island that I thought should be in the Hurricanes' catchment.

I first started paying attention when Northland were awful against everyone but would flog anyone in the promotion/relegation game. That was awful.

I would like the game back, but the bigger division has got a stunning amount of parity. Look at where Wellington are (sorry).

It's almost, almost perfect.

Oh god yeah it sucked how Northland kept interesting teams out of the first division. Getting rid of automatic promotion/relegation was terrible. You could be totally shit in the first division but as long as top of second was beatable - and you got the home game - then there was no incentive to get better.

And now the Heartland Championship or whatever the fuck name they gave it is effectively meaningless.

Also I hope to god that Wellington never plays Kapiti-Horowhenua. I don't know what I'd do.

Well I'd probably go Kapiti, just for underdog status. And cheer through all eighty minutes as they get pummelled by about 150 points.

Oh god yeah it sucked how Northland kept interesting teams out of the first division. Getting rid of automatic promotion/relegation was terrible. You could be totally shit in the first division but as long as top of second was beatable - and you got the home game - then there was no incentive to get better.

And now the Heartland Championship or whatever the fuck name they gave it is effectively meaningless.
It should now be one first division, then the Heartland Championship.

Then automatic relegation for North Harbour. I'm just being realistic.

Then automatic promotion/relegation with the last team/first team.

Also I hope to god that Wellington never plays Kapiti-Horowhenua. I don't know what I'd do.

Well I'd probably go Kapiti, just for underdog status. And cheer through all eighty minutes as they get pummelled by about 150 points.

I went to Auckland vs Counties a few years ago before equality, Auckland posted 117 odd points. The whole stadium cheered every Counties point and golf clapped Auckland.

I think that's how it'd be.

It should now be one first division, then the Heartland Championship.

Then automatic relegation for North Harbour. I'm just being realistic.

Then automatic promotion/relegation with the last team/first team.

Oh yeah, North Harbour can definitely get fucked.

In fact, can we just merge Counties, Auckland, and Harbour so that my hate can be targeted? I suppose I also hate Northland and should include them in the merger but the three urban teams are the ones I've always hated. I guess because they were first division when I was little and Northland hadn't quite got promoted at that point.

GO FUCK YOURSELF!

(Or should I pretend to be Canterbury again?)

:lol:

I'm sorry, the more you mention Paeroa the more I want a glass of L&P.

Oh yeah, North Harbour can definitely get fucked.

In fact, can we just merge Counties, Auckland, and Harbour so that my hate can be targeted? I suppose I also hate Northland and should include them in the merger but the three urban teams are the ones I've always hated. I guess because they were first division when I was little and Northland hadn't quite got promoted at that point.

:lol:

Like actually fuck North Harbour.

I support your suggestion if I were to leave Manukau lol.

Somewhere I can't remember has their ground in a paddock with a tiny grandstand near there.

Actually maybe Kapiti-Horowhenua's catchment extends that far north.

But I thought they played all their games at the Paraparaumu Domain or at... whatever the hell the ground in Levin is called.

And off memory from childhood the Pram Domain is just some uncomfortable concrete seats poured over a small rise on the western side of the field. But this memory may be unreliable.

I must admit it mixes well with vodka.

...oh yeah it's also okay by itself.

I'm at work, don't encourage me to drink!

(One of my colleagues kept bottles of red in his desk for quite some time during a stressful period...)

Actually maybe Kapiti-Horowhenua's catchment extends that far north.

But I thought they played all their games at the Paraparaumu Domain or at... whatever the hell the ground in Levin is called.

And off memory from childhood the Pram Domain is just some uncomfortable concrete seats poured over a small rise on the western side of the field. But this memory may be unreliable.

I might need to think further north then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom