site hassles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
I'm having trouble uploading my pic files from the CD-ROM to my site. We put them on the CD-ROM, and then I save them, and then Geocities won't upload them because they are files "with no extension". I don't know what the hell this means. I have never found doing this site particularly easy, but now I just hope it's not Mission Impossible. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Of course I can always fool with this tomorrow when I'm not a nervous wreck because the show is only two hours away. :reject: :help:

My best guess, verte, is that somehow in the CD-ROM to PC (or vice versa) the images lost their file extension names. For images, these are typically .jpeg, .jpg. .tiff, .bmp, & .gif

On each image, right-click on "properties" and see what is says under "type of file." If it says JPEG, manually type in .jpg at the end of each file name. For TIFF, type .tiff. For BITMAP, .bmp. And for GIF, type .gif.

Hope that helps!

I think I'll try to get through the show first then see what I can do with these files later on. This is tough. Whew!

I've had problems in the past going from a server/network drive to CD-ROM. If the devices don't copy at the same rate, it won't work. I'm not sure if it's the same problem backwards, but at work I can't burn a CD from data on my website without copying it to the hard drive first.

I managed to figure out how to transfer the files from the CD drive to my hard disk. It wasn't that hard once I got to thinking straight. I don't always do this and this I screw everything up for obvious reasons. I don't actually have the pix on the site, but that's OK, they're on my disk and all I have to do is upload. I don't find this a cakewalk on Geocities, but what the heck, I've done it eight times and it won't kill me to do four more.

I despise Geocities so much I'd make your website for you!!! Before I had my own webspace, I used Angelfire and they were OK (you used to get 50 MB of space per account, but now they changed that).

I'm not crazy about either one of my hosting services, Geocities or Tripod. But, I like Trellix, which Tripod uses, because you can be an HTML klutz and still have a site. I wasn't able to use Tripod for my art site because of issues with images. :mad: So I used Geocities. Geocities was OK before Yahoo got it. They screwed it up. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Back
Top Bottom