Shuttlecock V: Sleep Like Leo Tonight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgive me for sounding arrogant here, but I guess I'm just being more objective about things instead of trying to impose my taste on their career-long modus operandi. I don't care what I think of the new material, that's what they should be focusing on when they tour. I felt that way during Elevation when I wasn't the biggest fan of the album, and I feel that way now.

As I said, for better or worse, what drives this band to tour is to get out and give their new material the live treatment, often improving certain songs in that format. It's personally why I keep going to see them, not to see what old nuggets they might drag out of the vault. And it's why I have a lot of respect for them regardless of what decisions they make during the recording process. They always believe in their most recent material.

If you don't like their new music, don't go to the show then. Or you're just another asshole in the stands screaming "Play the old stuff!"

I thought we all hated these types of fans.

Well I guess I might be an arsehole then. I'm happy for some 00s-onwards material, I love ATYCLB dearly and the likes of Vertigo and COBL are fucking fantastic live. And there's some tunes from SoI that I'd love to hear live. And then you've got Mercy as well.

But at this point in time I guess I'm just not as interested in U2 as I once was. They will always be my favourite band and I will always defend them against friends who hang shit on them, but I'm really not that interested in being like "oh I respect that they're not becoming a dinosaur band" when I would so much rather hear Running to Stand Still, In God's Country, Exit than watch Bono try to pretend he's 25 as he sings "I woke up at the moment when the miracle occurred" or "you and I are rock and roll" or whatever under some pretence of "WE ARE STILL RELEVANT".

Has this band ever played Wake Up Dead Man properly? I mean really properly? Not as an a capella coda to something else. I'm not suggesting they will now, in fact it's incredibly implausible, but seriously. What a song.

Nope. One of their most baffling decisions not to play that song.

I guess I've become one of the assholes, by default...because in the 5 shows I've currently got tickets for, I'd like to see songs like Miracle, RBW, Cedarwood and Reach Around a grand total of once each. I could live without Volcano period. Id only want to hear those songs once just to see what they'd do with them live.

Other than that, if all they played of the new stuff was Invisible, Iris, EBW, Crystal Ballroom and The Troubles, I'd be a perfectly happy camper. Bring on the greatest hits parade sprinkled with some (proper speed) 11OTT Acrobat BTBS Tomorrow Like A Song and Please, and I'll be over the moon.

Sent from my ass crack

:heart:

Lets face it, they could play 2 completely different 25 song sets on back to back nights (could, but won't) therefore playing 50 unique songs and we'd still find plenty of stuff that we'd wish they would have included. The catalog is pretty vast at this point, no way they can satisfy everyone completely. Lets just hope they follow through with some resasonably significant variations from night to night.

I scanned the last few pages, are there seriously people in here advocating that U2 just play classic material and not tour their new stuff?

Oh good. That was the impression I was getting.

I get the idea that you want to hear a lot of old songs at a show. You want to hear your favorites. And as a musician gets older, they're less likely to be producing material that stacks up to their old stuff.

I don't think U2 are at that point yet, so I'd definitely not want to see NO new songs. I also don't really think it's necessary to be inundated with them, though. But you play four or five new songs at a show that's touring that album, and that just makes sense.

Hell, the first time I saw Fleetwood Mac they were playing stuff from their new album. It's their call if they want to play it. The thing that I ask for is just a bit of variety, and that, as always, going back to being spoiled by Bruce. The Magic tour was just fantastic, for me, because Magic is fantastic and Bruce managed to play a number of great songs from it, and not at the expense of the classics, as well.

As for playing full albums all the way through (now that I've gone back and further understood what this conversation is about): I have never really wanted to go to one of those shows. There's usually a reason why a few tracks from albums are never played. And honestly, if I was going to go to a show and hear an album I like straight through, I'd find that horribly dull and predictable. I've been to one our two sets where a band played an album straight through (Peter Gabriel), and I felt like I was spending more time trying to remember what the track list was, than actually paying attention to those couple songs from So that aren't really a necessity in my life.

When Bruce was touring and played Born to Run straight through, I thought, "What a waste", because he already does that, basically every night, but it's nice having it appear throughout the show, to me.

I don't think I'd mind if U2 played a show straight through, but I really don't NEED to hear "Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World" live in order to sleep at night, even if it would be fun.

I think I've seen 5 shows where an album was played in its entirety. 2 of them were on small promo tours for the album around release time (Everything Will Be Alright in the End by Weezer this past October and Generation Swine by the Crue), another was during that album's tour (Oceania by the Pumpkins) and 2 were "nostalgic" (Quadrophenia and Cheap Trick doing Heaven Tonight).

I think it can be a very cool experience, hell I wouldn't mind U2 doing SOI stem to stern on this tour (as much as I loathe Song For Someone) cause it would be cool to see, but casual fans who want to just hear Streets, Pride and Beautiful Day would likely be put off.
It's generally something hardcore fans will enjoy and casual fans/U2Girl might not.

I listened to SOI in full today for the first time in about a month. Still a damn good album. Some of you are crazy for not liking it and you're all a bunch of damn trolls for still posting at a U2 forum when you clearly hate the band.

:D

:angry:

Look, I'm as skeptical as the next guy about what will actually happen, but my answer to the question posed by YBORCITY was that the band has hinted that they'd be doing different things on back to back nights, and they have as the quote from Bono said as much.

Will it happen? To what extent? Who knows? (Also the first thing I said in that response), but the answer to his question was accurate, the band has stated they will do 2 different shows of some sort back to back.

They've made claims before previous tours about more diversity as well. I won't believe setlist diversity until I see it! At least this time it's linked to the way the tour is booked and promoted, so it suggests they're serious, but their idea of diversity and difference probably isn't exactly what we hope it will be.

I scanned the last few pages, are there seriously people in here advocating that U2 just play classic material and not tour their new stuff?

No, but to be honest I wouldn't mind if they would for once just go on tour without needing an album as an excuse. I was thinking of making my ideal set for the tour over on the relevant forum until I realised that such a set would feature nothing after Pop.

As for this tour, I love Interference's general hang-up (by which I mean other parts of the place rather than anybody in this thread) with measuring ideas of "relevance" or whatever by how many new songs are in the set, whether a new song opens, etc. The funny thing is that when U2 were at their most relevant, they weren't always opening with new songs - and, in the case of the War and UF Tours anyway, many nights they played more from an old album than from a new one. Red Rocks, for example, opened with Out of Control and had seven Boy songs over six War songs. Is anyone going to argue U2 weren't "relevant" then? That was the gig that launched them into the stratosphere, yet according to EYKIW they were a nostalgia act.

I will acknowledge that I was REALLY disappointed I didn't get to hear Jane's Addiction do Nothing's Shocking straight through, but that's because it's the album of theirs I know best, so I'd likely have had a better time at the show, knowing most of the songs they played.

I'm expecting some differences between the nights, but would be gobsmacked if they did the "one night acoustic" thing, since I can't see them doing that without letting people know what show they're buying a ticket to.

I wouldn't mind seeing a whole album thing, but I don't see them doing it (yet) either.

I'm expecting a mix of new stuff, the classics and a few rarities sprinkled throughout (like 360, really).

And I'm cool with that.

While we're talking about seeing bands perform full sets, I managed to see three last month alone. Earlier in the month I saw Shihad play their new album FVEY in full - they're not even promoting the tour as playing the whole album, they just come out, play the whole damn thing to indulge their satisfaction with it, and then play a lengthy encore of old favourites and hits. Then I saw Jimmy Eat World do Futures twice, which was pretty special, lots of passion both in the album part of the set and in the rest of it. Part of the excitement was even in knowing old favourites were coming. (Though I'm the kind of person who likes to read the printed set on stage before the show begins anyway, because then I can pace myself nicely through the whole show.)

Previously I'd seen Swervedriver do Raise twice, which was also thoroughly enjoyable as the songs have extra punch live and the album flows really well. I was at Thursday's last ever headline show, and they did a really incredible run through of Full Collapse. I also saw Peter Hook's fairly controversial tour of Unknown Pleasures, and it was the most obvious nostalgia trip of any full album performance I've seen but I'd be lying if I said it didn't sound great. If you could choose hearing a member of Joy Division play your favourite Joy Division album or not hear that, I'm not sure why you wouldn't choose the former.

I think that's it for a full album being played in order - I caught the end of The Breeders doing Last Splash at ATP but that doesn't properly count. I've seen a few other instances of a band playing a full album (or, more often, an EP) throughout a show, but it's been scattered through the set, usually by young bands with few releases. That's obviously quite a different case.

I didn't enjoy The Breeders doing Last Splash nearly as much as I thought I would.

To go on a complete tangent, I didn't see Peter Hook do UP, I just saw him playing a lot of random Joy Division songs and a couple of New Order tracks. It was fantastic. One of my favorite festival sets I've ever seen.

I think I'm more of a fan of whole albums played when it's a one-off or a surprise. Like when Muse played Origin of Symmetry in full for its 10th anniversary and Nine Inch Nails randomly played The Downward Spiral in full for a club concert.

Then again, if they play all of Achtung Baby, I won't complain. I do want to hear a lot of SOI live too.

Sent from my SM-G730V using U2 Interference mobile app

I'm not a Springsteen fan but it's pretty cool how he's busted out full albums on random nights simply because he can.

I didn't think anyone was saying "oh U2 should just play JT and call it a show." Even The Who tacked on some hits at the end of the Quadropenia tour. I'm pretty sure new found glory did some other songs when they toured their 1st album in its entirety (although I left before that happened, because who really wants to hear anything other than the first one? No one here probably wants to even hear that :wink: )

I agree with them playing some songs from Pop, there's some great material there. Im also hoping for ASOH making a come back too. Maybe Heartland, Promenade and Acrobat, is that asking too much?

I listened to SOI in full today for the first time in about a month. Still a damn good album. Some of you are crazy for not liking it and you're all a bunch of damn trolls for still posting at a U2 forum when you clearly hate the band.

:D

:angry:

I listened to it in full today also.... well said :hi5:

I agree with them playing some songs from Pop, there's some great material there.?

Would love Mofo live. Thats the song that really eclipsed the album version by miles. It's not too rough on B's voice either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom