Rolling Stones - best album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Best Rolling Stones album?

• England's Newest Hitmakers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 12x5

• Out of Our Heads

• December's Children

• Aftermath

• Between The Buttons

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Their Satanic Majesties Request

• Beggars Banquet

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Let It Bleed

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Sticky Fingers

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Exile on Main Street

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • Goats Head Soup

• It's Only Rock 'n' Roll

• Black and Blue

• Some Girls

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Tattoo You

• Other - please explain

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
LemonMelon said:
This poll proves it:

Sticky Fingers is underrated on this forum. :|

.....But I'm starting to think that Let It Bleed is just as good. I'm totally hooked on that album right now. The country tunes are fantastic (You Got The Silver :drool: :drool: :drool: ), and the straight-on rock songs are just incredible. Gimme Shelter is one of the best songs of all time, period.

The only tracks that bring it down for me are the decent-but-nothing-special Live With Me and the bloated You Can't Always Get What You Want. Whoever told the Stones that it was a good idea to let little wiener British kids sing the first two minutes of the song should have been fired. Plus, it's the same thing over and over again for 7.5 minutes. :yawn:

LemonMelon said:
The only tracks that bring it down for me are the decent-but-nothing-special Live With Me and the bloated You Can't Always Get What You Want. Whoever told the Stones that it was a good idea to let little wiener British kids sing the first two minutes of the song should have been fired. Plus, it's the same thing over and over again for 7.5 minutes. :yawn:

:mad:

lazarus said:

Too bad. My favorite Stones album has only 13.79% of the votes. We all have problems. :wink:

To be fair, I think everything but those two songs are amazing.

LemonMelon said:

Get What You Want. Whoever told the Stones that it was a good idea to let little wiener British kids sing the first two minutes of the song should have been fired. Plus, it's the same thing over and over again for 7.5 minutes. :yawn:

I'm sorry. I don't speak to people who don't enjoy Dr. Gregory House's favorite song.:tsk: :lol:

U2isthebest said:

I'm sorry. I don't speak to people who don't enjoy Dr. Gregory House's favorite song.:tsk: :lol:

Pfft...he likes Dave Matthews. :tsk: That kind of kills any authority he may have in the area of music. :wink:

Sorry, but after an album of being bled on, having knives shoved down my throat by rambling serial killers, and drinking away honky tonk women, YCAGWYW is like pure saccharin. :shrug:

LemonMelon said:

Pfft...he likes Dave Matthews. :tsk: That kind of kills any authority he may have in the area of music. :wink:

Sorry, but after an album of being bled on, having knives shoved down my throat by rambling serial killers, and drinking away honky tonk women, YCAGWYW is like pure saccharin. :shrug:

House wins at life more than any of us ever will, ergo we should all follow his word as gospel.:heart:

LemonMelon said:

Uhh, the song is partially about heroin addiction? I think that fits in with the rest of the theme of the album. Certainly not a saccharine subject.

lazarus said:

Uhh, the song is partially about heroin addiction? I think that fits in with the rest of the theme of the album. Certainly not a saccharine subject.

Never thought of it like that. It's always grabbed me as an uplifting song (in a Hey Jude kind of way; uplifting in spite of it all). I'm sure that's how they would have wanted to close out the album anyway.

LemonMelon said:

Never thought of it like that. It's always grabbed me as an uplifting song (in a Hey Jude kind of way; uplifting in spite of it all). I'm sure that's how they would have wanted to close out the album anyway.

Supposedly, Marianne Faithful, who was dating Mick or Keith or maybe Mick AND Keith at the time, was trying to kick heroin and was using methadone, which you needed a prescription for. "To get my fair share of abuse" refers to that legal dispensation of methadone, and as a substitute for heroin, you don't "get what you want" but "what you need" to get through it. " I went down to the Chelsea drugstore/to get your prescription filled" is another giveaway, but some of the lyrics in the song are more absract.

Am I the only person who doesn't actually like a single Stones album? I mean, I would rather die than give up an incredible number of their songs, but I straight-up dislike all of their albums to which I've listened (which is most). I dunno. I just don't get it.

I love 'em, though, and I guess I've no problem with what I see as mediocre records which spit out tons of my all-time favorite songs.

If you shout... said:
Am I the only person who doesn't actually like a single Stones album? I mean, I would rather die than give up an incredible number of their songs, but I straight-up dislike all of their albums to which I've listened (which is most). I dunno. I just don't get it.

I love 'em, though, and I guess I've no problem with what I see as mediocre records which spit out tons of my all-time favorite songs.

I feel the same way about Blur.

But not the Stones. They have several very good/great albums.

If you shout... said:

LemonMelon said:

I feel the same way about Blur.

1272549006_294f713d3c.jpg

:eyebrow: Sorry, but you can't tell me that every track on Modern Life Is Rubbish, 13, or (especially) The Great Escape are of the highest quality. There are songs on each of those that stick out WAY above the others.

Yeah, but those aren't their better albums. What you're saying isn't true of Parklife, the self-titled, and Think Tank.

IYS was implying ALL Stones albums had that effect on him, and you said you felt the same about blur.

lazarus said:
Yeah, but those aren't their better albums. What you're saying isn't true of Parklife, the self-titled, and Think Tank.

IYS was implying ALL Stones albums had that effect on him, and you said you felt the same about blur.

Oh, OK. No I don't feel that way about ALL of their albums, especially Parklife and self-titled, where the less noteworthy tracks actually add to the madness, rather than weaken it.

But I still think Best Of Blur is one of the best greatest hits albums ever made. :shifty:

COBL_04 said:
I always thought Tattoo You was quite popular. And where's A Bigger Bang?? :wink;

A Bigger Bang is considered by SOME to be a "return to form". Hardly on the same level as many of these other albums. :yes:

COBL_04 said:
:lol: Touche.

I've only got Exile, which I played yesterday, and I do not get it at all.

Exile takes about 50 plays to get. Therefore, I haven't really gotten it yet either.

Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Beggar's Banquet are more immediately brilliant.

LemonMelon said:
Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Beggar's Banquet are more immediately brilliant.

But in the long run, it's clear Exile is their masterpiece.

It's rather sad it's losing by 3 votes.

Well, you can lead a horse to water...

Back
Top Bottom